Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,708 times

Advertisements

Back in October of 2010 Gallup post an article called "Latin Americans Least Likely to Feel Safe Walking Alone at Night":

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Worldwide, residents of Latin America are the least likely to personally feel safe in their communities. Across 18 Latin American countries surveyed in 2009, a median of 42% of residents say they feel safe walking alone at night where they live.

Less than half of adults in all 18 Latin American countries say they feel safe, but their sense of security varies and is lowest in Venezuela, at 23%. Venezuelans are among the least likely in the world to say they feel safe, which likely reflects the worsening crime situation in the last decade.

Along with Venezuelans, South Africans are among the least likely in the world to say they feel safe. How secure residents across the sub-Saharan Africa region feel differs dramatically, however -- ranging from a high of 84% in Djibouti to a low of 20% in South Africa. South Africa is known for its high incidence of violent crime, including one of the highest murder rates in the world.
Residents in Asia and the Middle East and North Africa region are the most likely to say they feel safe walking alone at night in their communities. Singaporeans almost universally feel safe, at 98% -- the highest level of security of any country or area surveyed. However, less than half of adults in several countries and areas in conflict in these two regions say they feel safe: Iraq (34%), Afghanistan (37%), Pakistan (42%), Nepal (43%), and the Palestinian Territories (47%).

Women Feel Less Safe Than Men

In 93 of the 105 countries and areas surveyed, women are significantly less likely than men to say they feel safe walking alone at night in the city or area where they live. While this is not that surprising, the striking differences between men and women in some developed countries are. There is at least a 20-percentage-point difference between men and women in 21 countries, including Canada, France, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Bottom Line

While many factors contribute to feelings of personal insecurity or security, a median of 36% adults worldwide are afraid to walk alone at night in their communities, with women in nearly every country surveyed significantly more fearful than men. Gallup's data show fear hinders people's freedom in many countries and the huge disparities within regions show this is an issue that likely needs to be addressed at the local level.

For a complete list of findings, see page 2.
Visit Real Clear World's Top 5s feature to learn more about the countries where residents are most likely to feel personally safe.
For complete data sets or custom research from the more than 150 countries Gallup continually surveys, please contact SocialandEconomicAnalysis@gallup.com or call 202.715.3030.

Survey Methods

Results are based on telephone/face-to-face interviews with approximately 1,000 adults in 102 countries, 2,000 adults in Russia, 3,000 adults in India, and 4,200 in China, aged 15 and older, conducted in 2009. For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the maximum margin of sampling error ranged from a low of ±2.1 percentage points in China to a high of ±5.7 percentage points in Slovenia. The margin of error reflects the influence of data weighting. In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.

SOURCE: gallup.com/poll/144083/latin-americans-least-likely-feel-safe-walking-alone.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 AM

3,897 posts, read 6,701,681 times
I feel very safe walking at night.

I only don't feel safe if I walk alone in an almost deserted street, after 10 PM. Not because I think I can be murdered, but I could be robbed. Could be. Not necessarily I will.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:03 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,788,565 times
I wonder how much of it depends on specific neighbourhoods.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:18 AM

840 posts, read 3,044,718 times
This also depends on the "impressions" of the residents. The survey is about impressions, and these don't always coincide with reality. Some people are more paranoid than others, and some are the other way around: very lighthearted and walk in dangerous neighbourhoods without even thinking of it. I'm not denying the truth of crime statistics, I'm only stating that impressions are very subjective. BTW, the media also contribute sometimes to the general feeling of paranoia.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:06 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,788,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
This also depends on the "impressions" of the residents. The survey is about impressions, and these don't always coincide with reality. Some people are more paranoid than others, and some are the other way around: very lighthearted and walk in dangerous neighbourhoods without even thinking of it. I'm not denying the truth of crime statistics, I'm only stating that impressions are very subjective. BTW, the media also contribute sometimes to the general feeling of paranoia.
I've walked in some dicey neighbourhoods alone - like in Memphis at night, where there was no one there. Maybe the thunderstorm helped keep the criminals at bay. I did feel a bit nervous, though. It was mainly because i got lost lol.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:11 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,460,714 times
But aren't peoples impressions more important? Say I was walking in an area that is not particularly crime prone, but if I feel very threatened and unsafe and uneasy then that's the most important thing.

At the end of the day, statistics don't matter to the average person, it's all about perceptions and how YOU feel. If you feel safe at night, then that is good, but if you feel unsafe, regardless of your chances of being murdered or robbed, then that is not good.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:11 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,050,410 times
My friend in Comalcalco, Tabasco, Mexico will not walk beyond a certain distance from her house after dark - she actually showed me the point and I would say it is about 200 meters from her house, if I remember correctly. She is afraid of being raped and/or kidnapped.

Perhaps in the U.S., the relatively strong perception of safety is due to the fact that we are a suburban nation, with most people living in suburbs, generally with little crime, although in fact you're more likely to die in the suburbs than in the city because of car accidents.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 PM

27,265 posts, read 28,339,813 times
I feel pretty safe walking at night in my particular neighborhood (suburb of Washington DC).

However, I wouldn't walk around in certain crime-ridden parts of DC even in the daytime.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM

840 posts, read 3,044,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
But aren't peoples impressions more important? Say I was walking in an area that is not particularly crime prone, but if I feel very threatened and unsafe and uneasy then that's the most important thing.

At the end of the day, statistics don't matter to the average person, it's all about perceptions and how YOU feel. If you feel safe at night, then that is good, but if you feel unsafe, regardless of your chances of being murdered or robbed, then that is not good.
The thing is, perceptions vary so much from one person to the other, and one individual's perception may be based on something that has nothing to do with how a place "looks", meaning that the place could be very clean and nice-looking, but this person would still feel unsafe because of some stories he heard, some real events that took place there but are rare, or whatever. I think perceptions are important but not the most important. Reality is also important.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:45 PM
JL

8,514 posts, read 14,462,662 times
Did anyone read this today? This is the first time i've heard of Chagas..interesting...

Chagas: Is tropical disease really the new AIDS? | The Lookout - Yahoo! News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas