U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather visit?
Jamaica 15 39.47%
Trinidad and Toboga 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times

Advertisements

I'm a reggae man, so it's mandatory I visit JA at some point in my life, but my wife insists we take our long overdue honeymoon in TNT due to its diversity and food. It does seem TNT has more variety of food due to the mix of cultures, whereas JA has the standards you see at any Jamaican restaurant in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 06:23 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,003,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm a reggae man, so it's mandatory I visit JA at some point in my life, but my wife insists we take our long overdue honeymoon in TNT due to its diversity and food. It does seem TNT has more variety of food due to the mix of cultures, whereas JA has the standards you see at any Jamaican restaurant in the US.
Jamaican Food is not fairly represented in restaurants in US and Canadian cities. You see a standard menu throughout, but this only scratches the surface. I tell people you have never tried real Jamaican food until you have visited Jamaica itself. Very few restaurants (I can count them off one hand) have menu's in North America and Europe that truly represent the diversity of our cuisine.

With that said, Trini Food is excellent and is also not well represented throughout North America. Most restaurants have the standard Roti, Doubles and Palourie. Maybe some will throw in some Macaroni Pie and Calalou. Otherwise, you have to go to Trini to experience their food properly as well.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:22 PM

28,248 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
That's what I heard. But it's very hard to get down there if you have no family or friends willing to accommodate your visit if you didn't book a room a year in advance.
True, indeed.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:26 PM

28,248 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Jamaican Food is not fairly represented in restaurants in US and Canadian cities. You see a standard menu throughout, but this only scratches the surface. I tell people you have never tried real Jamaican food until you have visited Jamaica itself. Very few restaurants (I can count them off one hand) have menu's in North America and Europe that truly represent the diversity of our cuisine.
Queens has the full range of Jamaican cuisine. And I mean every bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
With that said, Trini Food is excellent and is also not well represented throughout North America. Most restaurants have the standard Roti, Doubles and Palourie. Maybe some will throw in some Macaroni Pie and Calalou. Otherwise, you have to go to Trini to experience their food properly as well.
Macaroni pie may be my favorite food on earth.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:48 PM

20 posts, read 31,735 times
I've been to the Trini Carnival. I've also been to Jamaica (Kingston & Montego Bay). I love soca music and the carribean culture as a whole. In T&T, there is no all inclusive resorts (at least none I know of) so your forced to interact with locals and learn the culture. It's the same in Kingston, no resorts & forced to interact with locals and learn the culture. Montego bay is touristy, I was at an all inclusive there *yawn*. Great getaway vacation to drink, relax, and mingle, but your only getting commercialized culture (all the employees say "yah mon" excessively).
It depends on your needs, more people visit Jamaica as a relaxing getaway rather than for the culture & sightseeing. Very few Americans even go to T&T. I'm sure more tourists would go with Jamaica, but I'll say T&T. Carnival is LIVE!

Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM

508 posts, read 1,647,505 times
Been to both.

Jamaica is much more touristy as pretty much everyone said above. IMO the beaches are nicer too. Food is good, and there's a lot set up for tourists to get to know the Caribbean culture.

T&T has little tourism and is more dangerous. It has one of the highest kidnapping rates in the world and also is up there for violent crime. That being said, the food is incredible, and there's a lot more diversity in both the people and the experiences. Carnival is a once in a lifetime experience as well. May be harder to get around without knowing someone from there though (DH is half Trini, so most of his mom's side is there).

I think it depends on what you're looking for.... but more me, though I've been to Jamaica a few times, Trinidad was a overall more unique experience.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:48 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,003,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Queens has the full range of Jamaican cuisine. And I mean every bit
Well aware man, NYC (specifically Queens and BK) along with South Florida (Lauderhill) has the most authentic selection of Jamaican food in the country. For the most part though the majority of cities have the basics and dumb down the selection.

I think the hardest thing to find is REAL Jerk. Pimento Wood and leaves are essential, but most restaurants cant afford to import the wood, so you barely get the real thing.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:22 PM

367 posts, read 760,650 times
I've been fortunate enough to have been able to visit the REAL Jamaica because of my wife being from there. I land in the airport with all the other Americans, and see we have completely different destinations and I kind of feel sorry for them for just going to a resort. What a bore!

I will also like to visit Trinidad one day because I like vegetarian Indo-Trini cuisine such as roti. I however dislike what I've heard about the racial tensions between Indo and Afro-Trinis. Jamaican Indians seem much cooler with Black people than their Trini counterparts.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:08 AM

7,555 posts, read 2,425,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
Been to both.

Jamaica is much more touristy as pretty much everyone said above. IMO the beaches are nicer too. Food is good, and there's a lot set up for tourists to get to know the Caribbean culture.

T&T has little tourism and is more dangerous. It has one of the highest kidnapping rates in the world and also is up there for violent crime. That being said, the food is incredible, and there's a lot more diversity in both the people and the experiences. Carnival is a once in a lifetime experience as well. May be harder to get around without knowing someone from there though (DH is half Trini, so most of his mom's side is there).

I think it depends on what you're looking for.... but more me, though I've been to Jamaica a few times, Trinidad was a overall more unique experience.
Just wanted to clarify somethimg regarding the statement about crime. Between the two nations, Jamaica is actually more dangerous. At a certain point in time last year or in 2010 T&T's murder rate had surpassed Jamaica but later fell again. As for kidnappings for ransom, those have fallen for years now, with less than with only 5 last year and none so far this year. This is certainly not to downplay the serious problem with violent crime in T&T but it isnt fair to paint an inaccurate picture.

Murder rates in Central America highest in the world, UN study shows - New York Daily News

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 08-12-2012 at 02:21 AM..

Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 AM

508 posts, read 1,647,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Just wanted to clarify somethimg regarding the statement about crime. Between the two nations, Jamaica is actually more dangerous. At a certain point in time last year or in 2010 T&T's murder rate had surpassed Jamaica but later fell again. As for kidnappings for ransom, those have fallen for years now, with less than with only 5 last year and none so far this year. This is certainly not to downplay the serious problem with violent crime in T&T but it isnt fair to paint an inaccurate picture.

Murder rates in Central America highest in the world, UN study shows - New York Daily News
Thanks for the clarification! It definitely wasn't my intention to portray an inaccurate picture of T&T.

That being said, however, please keep in mind that Jamaica has much more facilities in place for tourists than Trinidad. This doesn't make the country any safer, but for some travelers who are less savvy of maneuvering around a new country, this could keep them out of unwanted trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas