U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather visit?
Jamaica 15 39.47%
Trinidad and Toboga 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 AM

350 posts, read 588,746 times

Advertisements

They're both good destination in different ways

Jamaica I'd visit for natural beauty of the land and beaches,Jamaican music, small island with big and known cultural impact on the world
Trinidad I'd visit for Carnival, interesting mix of religions and people, food,natural beauty of the land, soca,bird-watching, eco-tourism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 02:15 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,563,953 times
Reppin Jamaica till I die but we are the most dangerous country in the carribean in tivoli gardens (the worst spot)) there was over 100 people killed or injured from all the badmen wit gun 2010 Kingston unrest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by JayJay718; 08-13-2012 at 02:29 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 09:42 PM

7,577 posts, read 2,437,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
Thanks for the clarification! It definitely wasn't my intention to portray an inaccurate picture of T&T.

That being said, however, please keep in mind that Jamaica has much more facilities in place for tourists than Trinidad. This doesn't make the country any safer, but for some travelers who are less savvy of maneuvering around a new country, this could keep them out of unwanted trouble.
No prob! Yes, I definitely agree regarding JA having way more facilities in place for tourists. A friend recently told me that she is considering visiting Trinidad on a solo trip, and I advised her otherwise for this reason. She has gone to JA and Honduras on her own so she thought it would be fine. She also mentioned doing Guyana solo and my response was in the negative as well. JA really has done well in creating a safe environment for tourists despite the crime. Not that one wouldn't be safe in Trinidad but familiarity is important since you are basically walking into every Trinidad life as opposed to a resort area especially for you. Now Tobago caters more to tourists than its sister isle.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,960,363 times
Trinidad and toago is my choice because it's the lowest in culture to were my parents are from Dominica and St lucia
Anyway Jamaica gets bigged up all the time

Old 02-28-2014, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,648 times
I would say Jamaica because I hear Trinidad does not treat the tourists the way they are supposed to

Old 03-01-2014, 11:31 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,936,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
No prob! Yes, I definitely agree regarding JA having way more facilities in place for tourists. A friend recently told me that she is considering visiting Trinidad on a solo trip, and I advised her otherwise for this reason. She has gone to JA and Honduras on her own so she thought it would be fine. She also mentioned doing Guyana solo and my response was in the negative as well. JA really has done well in creating a safe environment for tourists despite the crime. Not that one wouldn't be safe in Trinidad but familiarity is important since you are basically walking into every Trinidad life as opposed to a resort area especially for you. Now Tobago caters more to tourists than its sister isle.

Trinidad and Guyana are for travel adventure types. Jamaica can also attract this type of person, and also the more conventional tourist.

I knew an American who was planning to go to Trinidad around carnival time, because a friend of his was going. All his questions focused on the beach and he didn't seem interested in carnival or Trini culture.

I told him to skip Trinidad and go to Barbados.

And yes as you said, while Jamaica is more dangerous than either Trinidad or Guyana, it has a well developed tourist industry which shields tourists from this.

You go to Trinidad and Guyana to meet and interact with Trinidadians and Guyanese. If that's not the goal of the visit these will be two terrible places to visit. Even though Trinidad is a Caribbean island it doesn't offer the stereotypical Caribbean range of amenities or activities. People ought to know this before they go, as you correctly advised.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Trinidad and toago is my choice because it's the lowest in culture to were my parents are from Dominica and St lucia
Anyway Jamaica gets bigged up all the time

I guess you mean "closest" in culture. Yes I agree with you, though St Lucia has become a fabulous vacation spot in its own right. Dominica is kind of like Trinidad in that its not the laze on the beach kind of place.

But both have a more Eastern Caribbean vibe, which Trinidad has and Jamaica doesn't.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt5378 View Post
I would say Jamaica because I hear Trinidad does not treat the tourists the way they are supposed to

Wonder if you can clarify this. Trinidad isn't interested in getting the "laze on the beach while the waiter grovels over me" tourist, so yes if that is all a tourist wants from a Caribbean vacation Trinidad isn't the place to go.

The question I will ask you is whether Jamaicans, who must do this to get tourists, really respect the them, or is it all an act to get their dollars? I can tell you that behind their backs the locals have lots of things to say, usually not nice.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:55 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,960,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I guess you mean "closest" in culture. Yes I agree with you, though St Lucia has become a fabulous vacation spot in its own right. Dominica is kind of like Trinidad in that its not the laze on the beach kind of place.

But both have a more Eastern Caribbean vibe, which Trinidad has and Jamaica doesn't.
Yes, I meant closest in culture. All islands have similar histories and similar influences (British & French) though Trinidad is more Spanish and south Asian influenced. Trinidad is the most cosmopolitan out of all the islands but I've heard their beaches are not great but Tobago is seen as more the typical Caribbean gateway. Trinidad is for culture, ecotourism and carnival, Dominica is for ecotourism & culture.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:00 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,472,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
T&T is not really known as a tourist destination, especially when compared to Jamaica; so this poll doesn't seem to be quite 'fair'. Maybe comparing Jamaica to other hot destinations like Puerto Rico, Barbados, Dominican Republic, even Cuba; would had been better.

Then again, this is City-Data. lol
Are you kidding me? Trinidad & Tobago is known as a tourist destination. It gets a great size of tourism, especially being a crossing point and transit point to other various nations & localities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas