U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather visit?
Jamaica 15 39.47%
Trinidad and Toboga 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 03:02 AM

15,954 posts, read 36,224,668 times

Advertisements

Trinidad seems fascinating to me. Real interesting mix of cultures, etc. Carnival is there as well.

Jamaica...I'm burned out on the image already. And for some reason, it seems like it would be difficult to interact with locals. Seems like things are way too setup for tourists to be removed from everyone. Not only that, but I'd imagine Jamaica would attract a lot of 'hey dude, where can I get some weed' aka 20-year-old college kid dudes and brahs.

But, to be honest, I'd just at any opportunity that came my way, to make a trip to either one anytime.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 08-02-2014 at 03:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 03:15 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,456,056 times
Trinidad and Tobago seem way cooler. I don't subscribe to choosing whichever destination treats and sets up tourists better because we are talking about entire countries here, not a private summer cottage. The people of either are not obligated to make you feel at home.

For Trini, the landscape looks nicer, and the food and vibe are more appealing to me. Jamaica is a little too flat for my tastes, and I'm not really in to the rasta or package deal thing, which I'm sure must get rubbed in your face pretty hard.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:08 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,949,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Are you kidding me? Trinidad & Tobago is known as a tourist destination. It gets a great size of tourism, especially being a crossing point and transit point to other various nations & localities.

Most visitors to Trinidad are overseas based Trinidadians, or business people or visitors from neighboring islands. Trinidad gets far fewer leisure tourists from points beyond the Caribbean than most other Caribbean islands.

So no Trinidad is NOT known as a tourist destination outside of carnival.

Tobago has a more tourism based economy, but hasn't been that successful either. Fewer than 50k international visitors travel to Tobago, mainly from the UK. Even Dominica does better than that.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Jamaica is a little too flat for my tastes, .

I guess if you went to Jamaica you stayed in a hotel. Jamaica is one of the most mountainous islands, and Blue Mountain at 7,400 is one of the Caribbean's highest peaks, indeed only the island of Hispaniola having higher peaks.

Your other comments have validity in that much of Jamaica's tourist product is very "packaged" while one can sooner gain access to the real "Trini" vibe, because they have no interest in impressing tourists to attract them. They have a thriving energy based economy with a buoyant financial and professional services (engineering, etc) and manufacturing base as well.

But if one wants to escape the manufactured for tourist image of Jamaica it is also possible.

I really don't think that one island is better than the other. They are different, but have much appeal. Both also have their share of crime as well so the adventurous need to be cautious.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Trinidad seems fascinating to me. Real interesting mix of cultures, etc. Carnival is there as well.

Jamaica...I'm burned out on the image already. And for some reason, it seems like it would be difficult to interact with locals. Seems like things are way too setup for tourists to be removed from everyone. Not only that, but I'd imagine Jamaica would attract a lot of 'hey dude, where can I get some weed' aka 20-year-old college kid dudes and brahs.

But, to be honest, I'd just at any opportunity that came my way, to make a trip to either one anytime.

The very fact that Trinidad doesn't cater to tourists might also present difficulties for a visitor who doesn't know any one. Tourism isn't a priority, so interacting with foreigners isn't. The locals in the urban northern part of the island are just as busy as people in urban environments tend to be.

For visitors to Trinidad I suggest they go with a Trini, or arrive with contacts on that island, so that they gain entrance into society.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:51 PM

1,247 posts, read 1,098,668 times
You will have a more unique experience in Jamaica.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:32 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,979,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
You will have a more unique experience in Jamaica.
What makes you say that?

As been discussed Jamaica is a typical tourist destination so people will most likely be only in the tourist resort areas while Trinidad doesn't have a developed tourist industry the economy doesn't rely on tourism as much as other islands.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:24 AM

15,954 posts, read 36,224,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
T&T has little tourism and is more dangerous. It has one of the highest kidnapping rates in the world and also is up there for violent crime.
Highest kidnapping in the world, in a smallish Carribbean Island?

Old 10-04-2017, 12:23 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,797,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Highest kidnapping in the world, in a smallish Carribbean Island?
I think both places are worth a visit.
Trinidad has stuff to actually see. You just need to actually take the effort to see it.
It is a shame Trinidad does not have more tourism.
Tobago is beautiful.... and has more tourist appeal in terms of a beach vacation.
I was really in guard when in Trindad after hearing all sorts of negative reviews and crime warnings from family living there.
When there though I actually never had any problems.

The key tourist type things we did where....

1. The Pitch Lake
2. The Bird Sanctuary ( really really beautiful and fun )
3. Temple by the Sea
4. Seeing the big Hindu Temple with the Hanuman Status ( I think the 3rd largest in the world).
5. The Zoo in Port of Spain
6. The Beach
7. Walking around the Savanah to see the old historic houses.

In Trinidad as a tourist you need to rent private transportation. Lots of driving to get to places. Lots of traffic and lost of mountain type roads. Driving to the beach from port of Spain is SCARY! It was SCARY as a kid and more Scary as an adult.

Oh yeah and Carnival events.

Jamacia has loads of high end resorts and more groomed beach areas. They have done a great job developing that industry and the commerical "Come to Jamacia and Feel all right".... helped market the heck out of tourism there. Who ever created that jingle deserves an award! It is simple, effective and memorable.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
T&T is not really known as a tourist destination, especially when compared to Jamaica; so this poll doesn't seem to be quite 'fair'. Maybe comparing Jamaica to other hot destinations like Puerto Rico, Barbados, Dominican Republic, even Cuba; would had been better.

Then again, this is City-Data. lol
These countries are very different. Jamaica is a tourist destination, but also an island with a rich culture. Trinidad is more a business destination and one for the traveler because of its very rich and diverse range of cultures.

They aren't interested in tourism, and indeed look down on islands which are tourist dependent. If all one wants is a beach Trinidadians will direct you to Tobago or to another island. They are more of an industrial/service economy based on its petro chemical sectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas