U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather visit?
Jamaica 15 39.47%
Trinidad and Toboga 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 06:01 AM

506 posts, read 203,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Trinidad seems fascinating to me. Real interesting mix of cultures, etc. Carnival is there as well.

Jamaica...I'm burned out on the image already. And for some reason, it seems like it would be difficult to interact with locals. Seems like things are way too setup for tourists to be removed from everyone. Not only that, but I'd imagine Jamaica would attract a lot of 'hey dude, where can I get some weed' aka 20-year-old college kid dudes and brahs.

But, to be honest, I'd just at any opportunity that came my way, to make a trip to either one anytime.

If you want to interact to locals with safety, go to Cuba. Jamaica is not safe, even less if you are a pale face. Tourists go to protected ghettos.
I wonder if that will be the destiny of Cuba as racial and social problems are dormant, frozen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 01:22 PM

909 posts, read 667,965 times
Cuba is safer than Jamaica however, depending on where you go, there are travelers that meet the locals in Jamaica. Also the theory that says being white automatically makes it more unsafe is not necessarily true depending on the context. There are people who specifically want to travel to the real Jamaica and this is done regularly. I will grant you that most tourists do go to large hotels when in Jamaica.

At any rate, this is a comparison between Jamaica and T&T so Cuba is irrelevant in this discussion. T&T is a little bit safer than Jamaica but is rough itself but safety is pretty much a wash between the two. If you want to understand the English speaking Caribbean, both countries cannot be missed.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:06 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,932,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Cuba is safer than Jamaica however, depending on where you go, there are travelers that meet the locals in Jamaica. .
Cuba is a highly regulated totalitarian state. When this apparatus is eventually dismantled Cuba will become just as dangerous. But with the government having spies keeping everyone under close observation there will be less criminal behavior.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:03 PM

8 posts, read 1,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post
If you want to interact to locals with safety, go to Cuba. Jamaica is not safe, even less if you are a pale face. Tourists go to protected ghettos.
I wonder if that will be the destiny of Cuba as racial and social problems are dormant, frozen.
Jamaica is relatively safe for tourist if you stay away from bad areas, just like everywhere else. While the crime rate is high it's mainly due to gangsters killing each other and is concentrated in certain areas. Kingston has a vibrant dancehall scene and you will see many "pale faces" from Europe and Japan every week at those parties. The video below shows a lot of "pale faces"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8QauvwWvIo

Last edited by Jaz08; 02-09-2019 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: wrong video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas