U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:46 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times

Advertisements

Yeah I was thinking Peru is closest, but I'd agree probably not that close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
All the ones with a large indigeneous and mestizo populations - Peru, Ecuador, and Bolivia come to mind.

Less so Venezuela and Colombia, both of which have high indigneous and mestizo...but also have african in the mix as well.

Brazil is nothing like mexico. neither is argentina.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:06 PM

53 posts, read 153,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Well, I don't say the two countries are the same, but if I had to pick up one in South America I would choose Peru.

Both have a big indigenous population and indigenous influence. Both have a very small African-descendant population.

Peru was the center of the Inca civilization.

Mexico was the center of the Aztec civilization.

Both countries have a coast in the Pacific Ocean, both are members of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC).

So, I don't see another country in South America with more similarities to Mexico than Peru...

Of course the countries are not the same, but among all the countries in South America, Peru is the most similar to Mexico in some aspects.
i'd like to correct you, Peru has a significant African-descendant population, mostly located in the northern area of Peru, where as the African-descendant population in Mexico is nonexistent.

as a Guatemalan/Peruvian, i'd have to disagree with you. Culturally Peru Has nothing in common with Mexico. I'd say Central America has more similarities, more so in Guatemala. Mexico was the center of Aztec civilization, Guatemala was the center of Mayan civilization. We share many similar customs, mostly with the southern regions of Mexico.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,556,893 times
Yeah. It is really Latin America and Mexico. Mexico lacks the warmness and Latin flare you would find elsewhere.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:02 AM

2,564 posts, read 4,650,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosaalberto15 View Post
i'd like to correct you, Peru has a significant African-descendant population, mostly located in the northern area of Peru, where as the African-descendant population in Mexico is nonexistent.

as a Guatemalan/Peruvian, i'd have to disagree with you. Culturally Peru Has nothing in common with Mexico. I'd say Central America has more similarities, more so in Guatemala. Mexico was the center of Aztec civilization, Guatemala was the center of Mayan civilization. We share many similar customs, mostly with the southern regions of Mexico.

But the question was about which country in South America is more similar to Mexico. And no country in South America has more similarities to Mexico than Peru... Of course there are lots of differences too.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:57 PM

356 posts, read 926,553 times
I've always wondered this!

I wouldn't know though, because I've never been to South America.. But if anyone has any experience, what other country is most similar to Mexico? If any...

I've always thought it'd be Peru but I can't really say..

Old 04-03-2012, 01:05 PM

356 posts, read 926,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
What? I have been to both and you couldn't be further from the truth.

To answer the OP, no country is. The only similarities Mexico and South American countries have share are the language and probably media entertainment because they share the same language. Oh and soccer.

More specifically Mexico is super unique and the only country that is comparable is Guatemala. Comparing Mexico to South American countries is like asking to compare Ireland to Australia. They share the same language but that is as far as it goes.

Curious as why you ask?

Now south American countries are comparable to themselves. Like Peru and Ecuador. Or Peru an Bolivia. Or Uruguay to argentina. Chile Is actually very unique. Its very modern and it's people remind me, in terms of looks to that of the people in Spain. Where in the rest of south America there is a mix or in Argentina and Uruguay where people are more "white".

Mexico is like Japan, Brazil or even India, a country that has a very unique and distinct culture where few or no countries can compare to their culture.
Interesting, I hadn't thought of Guatemala..

How so? I would imagine Guatemala would be similar to southern parts of Mexico..But what about the rest? Mexico is so huge, Chihuahua, Hidalgo, Yucatan and Jalisco are all Mexican states, but the people, customs, terrain and Spanish language all greatly vary.

Elaborate, I'd like to know more!

Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,556,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
Interesting, I hadn't thought of Guatemala..

How so? I would imagine Guatemala would be similar to southern parts of Mexico..But what about the rest? Mexico is so huge, Chihuahua, Hidalgo, Yucatan and Jalisco are all Mexican states, but the people, customs, terrain and Spanish language all greatly vary.

Elaborate, I'd like to know more!
You didn't think of Guatemala because it isn't in South America!

Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,328,985 times
http://www.tacticalphilanthropy.com/secure/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/0valuemap_thumb.gif (broken link)

According to this chart, derived from World Values Survey data, Mexico is closet to Venezuela and Colombia in what it measures.

Chiapas is likely similar to Guatemala, at least the villages. However, the Mexican government, fearing further Zapatista uprisings, invested a lot in Chiapas, so especially the cities may appear much richer than they do in Guatemala. Linguistically, besides the use of various Mayan languages, Chiapas (and to a lesser extent Tabasco) share some of the traits of Guatemalan (or more broadly Central American) Spanish, such as the usage of the pronoun vos and the slang usage of "chelo" to mean a white person.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 AM

7,148 posts, read 7,964,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
What? I have been to both and you couldn't be further from the truth.

To answer the OP, no country is. The only similarities Mexico and South American countries have share are the language and probably media entertainment because they share the same language. Oh and soccer.

More specifically Mexico is super unique and the only country that is comparable is Guatemala. Comparing Mexico to South American countries is like asking to compare Ireland to Australia. They share the same language but that is as far as it goes.

Curious as why you ask?

Now south American countries are comparable to themselves. Like Peru and Ecuador. Or Peru an Bolivia. Or Uruguay to argentina. Chile Is actually very unique. Its very modern and it's people remind me, in terms of looks to that of the people in Spain. Where in the rest of south America there is a mix or in Argentina and Uruguay where people are more "white".

Mexico is like Japan, Brazil or even India, a country that has a very unique and distinct culture where few or no countries can compare to their culture.

sounds like mexico is an interesting place and worth a visit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or