U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:13 PM

65 posts, read 262,948 times

Advertisements

There is no similar country in the world to Mexico, there are 32 states in Mexico (31 states and DF), each one is different from each other, even within a state there are differences, for example, in San Luis Potosí (my state) there are 4 regions, and the customs, folklore, gastronomy, landscape, buildings, economic activities, infraestructure, race (white, mestizos, indigenous huastecos and huachichiles), festivities, and everything you can imagine in a society and their land is different, and I am only speaking of one state.

Maybe Guatemala is the closest due to its proximity but it would only be like Chiapas. And as a tip, don't ever tell a central american he/she is mexican, they would be offended by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 01:44 AM

308 posts, read 414,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
What? I have been to both and you couldn't be further from the truth.

To answer the OP, no country is. The only similarities Mexico and South American countries have share are the language and probably media entertainment because they share the same language. Oh and soccer.

More specifically Mexico is super unique and the only country that is comparable is Guatemala. Comparing Mexico to South American countries is like asking to compare Ireland to Australia. They share the same language but that is as far as it goes.

Curious as why you ask?

Now south American countries are comparable to themselves. Like Peru and Ecuador. Or Peru an Bolivia. Or Uruguay to argentina. Chile Is actually very unique. Its very modern and it's people remind me, in terms of looks to that of the people in Spain. Where in the rest of south America there is a mix or in Argentina and Uruguay where people are more "white".

Mexico is like Japan, Brazil or even India, a country that has a very unique and distinct culture where few or no countries can compare to their culture.
Well Chile contributed some cultural traditions and folkloric elements to Mexico due to trading and military outposts during the colonial period between Mexico and Chile. Lol

But Mexico is unique all on it's own.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:39 AM

157 posts, read 228,636 times
NONE!
Maybe because some countries of South America have large Indigenous populations but their native tongue, especially the music is all very different.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:56 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,344,098 times
Just living in California with Latinos from different countries in the America's you will learn that Mexico is truly unique. the people I've know who were Columbian, Peruvian, Chilean etc. are very quick to let you know that and it will become obvious to you once you get to know them. Even the way Spanish is spoken is different. A lot of Spanish speaking South Americans frequently have raised eyebrows when speaking to Mexicans (which includes Mexican Americans in this case as they speak the same Spanish). Their overall personalities and way of carrying themselves is just different.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:22 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,989,551 times
Well... just about all of them have gauchos don't they? At one time the best horsemen in the world. American Cowboys come from the mestizo and black gauchos out of Mexico (or Mexico's old territories now part of the USA), from my understanding.

I saw one of these American food shows that went down to some South American country. I think it was Bizzare Foods or something like that. They were shooting film of the gauchos in that country, just about all Indian or mestizo looking. These barbequed like nobody's business... but they're performance on moving horses was was incredible.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:16 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,476,631 times
Mexico is a very unique country. I think the closest one would be Peru, but still very far off. The Aztecs were a warrior culture, while the Incans were more peaceful. Mexico has a much larger population, a much larger economy, a higher standard of living. Peru has a significant larger indigenous and black population by numbers and percentage.

I think Mexico would be a unique combination of Peru, Colombia, Chile.

Similarities with Peru- Its indigenous population, great ancient civilizations, ecological diverse countries

Similarities with Colombia- Its media/pop culture visibility, popular telenovela giants, both have great soccer/football teams but not at a caliber of Argentina and Brazil, ecological diverse countries. Cartel drug problems and general corruption

Similarities with Chile- Both have large deserts, cowboy(gaucho) culture, expanding economies.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:36 PM

284 posts, read 506,998 times
bolivia?

Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 PM

27 posts, read 56,644 times
Perú.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:42 AM

5,899 posts, read 8,407,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Oh and soccer.

Oh no, they wish. Mexico sucks and plays in a weak and easy confederation (concacaf) in where they only won 2 games out of 10 playing against the likes of Jamaica, Panama, or Honduras.

While CONMEBOL (southamerican confederation) is a soccer superpower and this team of Mexico would finish with 0 points if they had to play the allmighty southamerican qualifiers.

Just to clarify that bit

Old 11-02-2013, 12:07 PM

2,241 posts, read 2,672,136 times
That's a hard question. Mexico is very unique all in it's own right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or