Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:13 PM

8 posts, read 7,396 times

Advertisements

For some reasons i will go with peru
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 11:39 PM

13 posts, read 26,814 times
I just don't think Peru would be an "accurate" comparation.Peru has a really huge ethnic diversity.There's a significant Asian and African population on the coast.You would be surprise how often you'll see a Chinese man across Lima streets.Even finding a Japanese(mostly from Okinawa backgrounds),is pretty easy.Seriously,if you go to a certain part of the city,you'll find a different kind of environment.Whites are mostly in the upper class.Mestizos can be found everywhere.Indegenous are mostly in the poorest parts-just like the Africans-,and the Asians are split: Chinese are everywhere,usually owning a restaurant,and Japaneses are mostly middle class.They are seemed as a hermetic group,although they say they are not-and I think it's true.One thing I like the most is they all feel Peruvian,even if they are "different" in looks.

I know Mexico also has ethnic diversity,but I think is a different kind.Of course there a some similarities in both countries,but they are truly unique.
I really don't think Peruvians would like to be compare to Mexico,and viceversa.But that's just my opinion.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:18 AM

485 posts, read 2,244,867 times
I have a feeling that the people who post here are South Americans who haven't set foot or even BOTHERED to read or look up anything about Mexico. (Except for a few)

I think that Mexico probably has to be a mix of Colombia, Peru and maybe a weee bit of Ecuador (maybe). I think that Mexico and Peru are similar in a way that those countries were the richest of the colonies, and both countries along with Bolivia have the greatest number of native Americans in the world. But I think Mexico's demographics is more mestizo, more leaning European than the Peruvians and Bolivians. Roughly over 60% of Mexico is mestizo, like Colombia, whereas most of Peru and Bolivia are indigenous. I don't think Peruvians and Bolivians are like Mexicans though. Maybe southern Mexicans and some central Mexicans. I met some Peruvians and they aren't exactly talkative or outgoing, gregarious or touchy feely like The Latin stereotype says. Mexicans I think are more like the latinamerican stereotype. They are more emotional, outgoing, charismatic, etc....I think this may be because Mexico has probably more Southern European influence

Also, there are quite a few blacks and Asians in Mexico too but they probably altogether don't make up more than 4 or 5% of Mexico's population. You'll see most of them mixed in with the mainstream mestizo or indigenous population.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:50 PM

11 posts, read 18,566 times
I've been to Mexico,and really can't see much the "European influence".They are like Central Americans.Even in the north.Of course there are whites,but they aren't a majority.Most of them have a significant indigenous component,just like George Lopez.I thinks that's the typical Mexican.Now let's ask in which country do we see men like him... Everywhere in South America.

PS: I'm talking about the "looks",not exactly culture,way of life,etc.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:41 PM

195 posts, read 441,022 times
Peru, no doubt! The Culture, arts, indian heritage (Mayas and Aztecs in Mexico, Incas in Peru), the cities and their contrasts (poverty, indian, spanish architecture) are very similar. As a matter of fact they could be considered twins in many ways.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antma robel View Post
Peru, no doubt! The Culture, arts, indian heritage (Mayas and Aztecs in Mexico, Incas in Peru), the cities and their contrasts (poverty, indian, spanish architecture) are very similar. As a matter of fact they could be considered twins in many ways.
I guess you can also add in some of the gastronomy since Peruvians like Spicy foods too. But I don't know. I want to say even though other people think Peru and Mexico are the most similar, we are like POLAR opposites in some ways.

I think that southern Mexico is probably most like Peru though. I don't like George Lopez and he is a bad representation for Mexico and Mexican culture. He's Chicano he grew up in California, he probably doesn't even know or care about Mexico actually.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:23 PM

NOTE: I don't like being compared to Peru or Peruvians and neither do a lot of Mexicans

Old 03-07-2014, 09:56 AM

Most don't like being compared to Spain, Argentina, Guatemala, El Salvador or any country of the Spanish speaking world or not. Mexicans just mostly like to be Mexican

Old 03-07-2014, 03:07 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,922 times
I've been lurking around these Mexico related threads for a while. Of course all Latin American countries share some traits and everyone has its distinctive features. Then again, some countries have more similarities among them than others, so the question about the South American country most to Mexico is valid.

Many people chose Peru after some characteristics like the ones antma robel pointed some posts above. Although important, I guess such things are rather superficial at comparing the current situation in both countries. By experience, I tend to think Colombia has the most similar idiosyncrasy among South American countries, and then comes overall Northwestern South America (from Venezuela to Peru bar Colombia). I'd say that for Latin America the geography represents cultural closeness/differences relatively well.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:14 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,966,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Drake View Post
Which countries in South America are very similar to Mexico?
None.

What you have is a lot of media influence in the past. I grew up in the 80's so most of the media we received was from the richest countries at that time: Mexico, Venezuela and Argentina. Most books were printed in. Mexico. We just thought everything was local(in my case colombian)

I grew up reading Mexican comics like Memin, Kaliman, Kendor Watching horrible novelas with Veronica Castro, Lucia Mendez or children's programs like Chiquilladas or El Tesoro del Saber. Serenatas are still popular there, they probably got the idea from mexican movies.

Back then there were only 1-3 channels and no cable, no internet and we pretty much lived in the stone age. Now days everything is so diversified and people have so many options it's hard to influence a whole country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas