Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 PM

37 posts, read 93,763 times

Advertisements

Can say the average Haitian peasant in the countryside understand you if you were to start talking to them in pure European French instead of the Creole that they speak?

I want to know to what extent French is understood there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
I would say that they could probably understand you more than you can understand them. The average person in Haiti, even though they may not speak French and really speak only Creole, has been exposed to French in movies, TV, music, and in a host of other ways.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:38 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
I don't know, I've never been in Haiti, nor knowing any haitian. But I tend to think that is probably depends of their level of education. If they have been at school they would probably speak and understand fluently standard french since it is offcial lanaguage. If we are speaking of peasants in remote rural areas it would probably be another story/

Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 AM

202 posts, read 567,889 times
French

They have glorified ignorance, now they call "Haitian Creole" to Haitian patois. Haitian Creole is official.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:05 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradlover View Post
Can say the average Haitian peasant in the countryside understand you if you were to start talking to them in pure European French instead of the Creole that they speak?

They don't speak Creole, they speak French-based creole. There are other creole languages. I guess it's somewhat similar to German/Dutch and Italian/Spanish. It's not the same, but a lot of similarities. A Dutch or German probably can understand some German/Dutch. Dosen't mean everybody will or most people even will understand a lot. Probably a couple of words here and there.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:48 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
It would depend on familiarity. I would compare this, for English speakers, to the difference between backwoods Jamaican and Belizean dialects of English and more familiar dialects of English. If you've ever watched films from Jamaica, like "The Harder They Come", or are familiar with more than the watered down accent, you'll see that it can be difficult to get a handle on if two Jamaicans are speaking to each other, especially if you've never been exposed to this dialect before. Likewise, when two Haitians speak Creole to each other, I can understand certain individual words but often find it hard to follow the meaning of what they're saying (I'm a bilingual Anglophone born and raised in Quebec). But when a Jamaican or Haitian who`s lived in Canada awhile speaks to me, the languages are similar enough that they can switch to a more formal register and then, while the accents can be thick, I understand them. So it depends on how familiar the speakers are with each other's dialects, they'll usually use words that they share in common or adopt aspects of the other's dialect so that things go smoother. Should be noted that Creole is a bit more distant than Jamaican English and NA English. If a Haitian who'd never heard French and a Frenchman who'd never heard Creole were put in a room together, they could probably communicate in a primitive way, but they would have trouble carrying on a conversation. The languages are similar enough, though, that they could learn each other's tongues very quickly. It think it's fair to say Creole's a different language, but it's quite related, maybe like Czech and Slovak or Norwegian and Danish.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:05 PM

578 posts, read 962,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradlover View Post

Most Haitians speak and understand French. French is the first official language of Haiti. In schools and education, French is the main language of instruction. So most Haitians speak French. Haitian French Creole has become a national symbol and source of pride of Haitian identity so most Haitians speak the Haitian French Creole dialect. But if you speak to a Haitian in French, they most of the time know how to speak actual French.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,904 times
I can't believe the posters on this forum. Haitians speak French. period. It's one of their official languages. I have several Haitian friends who I speak to in French and in Kweyol (French-based creole). I am from St. Lucia so I speak a creole that is very similar to theirs and to that in French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Dominica, the Seychelles... (google it).

Oh by the way, Kweyol does not prevent me from speaking standard English, the official language of my country.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:08 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It would depend on familiarity. I would compare this, for English speakers, to the difference between backwoods Jamaican and Belizean dialects of English and more familiar dialects of English. If you've ever watched films from Jamaica, like "The Harder They Come", or are familiar with more than the watered down accent, you'll see that it can be difficult to get a handle on if two Jamaicans are speaking to each other, especially if you've never been exposed to this dialect before. Likewise, when two Haitians speak Creole to each other, I can understand certain individual words but often find it hard to follow the meaning of what they're saying (I'm a bilingual Anglophone born and raised in Quebec). But when a Jamaican or Haitian who`s lived in Canada awhile speaks to me, the languages are similar enough that they can switch to a more formal register and then, while the accents can be thick, I understand them. So it depends on how familiar the speakers are with each other's dialects, they'll usually use words that they share in common or adopt aspects of the other's dialect so that things go smoother. Should be noted that Creole is a bit more distant than Jamaican English and NA English. If a Haitian who'd never heard French and a Frenchman who'd never heard Creole were put in a room together, they could probably communicate in a primitive way, but they would have trouble carrying on a conversation. The languages are similar enough, though, that they could learn each other's tongues very quickly. It think it's fair to say Creole's a different language, but it's quite related, maybe like Czech and Slovak or Norwegian and Danish.

Some linguists have said that the English based creoles exist in a continuum between standard English, a mid level (mesolect) which will be creoles that a non Caribbean person might understand, though find unusual. Then there is the basilect which is most distant from the standard and usually not understood at all by outsiders. The most basilectal of these dialects beind found among older people in the most rural areas.

Some claim that one is either speaking French or Creole, two very distinct linguistic systems though the creole draws its words from French, even if highly transformed. Will not argue on this as I know little abut either language.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:13 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie-anne View Post
I can't believe the posters on this forum. Haitians speak French. period. It's one of their official languages. I have several Haitian friends who I speak to in French and in Kweyol (French-based creole). I am from St. Lucia so I speak a creole that is very similar to theirs and to that in French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Dominica, the Seychelles... (google it).

Oh by the way, Kweyol does not prevent me from speaking standard English, the official language of my country.

Don't understand this. You say that Haitians speak French period, but then go on to claim that you can communicate with them using your Eastern Caribbean French Creole.

Well given that it is a long time since French was regularly spoken in St Lucia, and you probably do not speak standard French, that will imply that Creole is a definite dialect which is strong enough to survive even when French is replaced by English as the official language.

It is clear that your creole hasn't been transformed by the fact that it is over 200 years since French was the official language on your island. That becomes interesting in that your French creole doesn't need an ongoing connection to French to sustain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas