U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 10:25 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,931,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Well I've seen it and lived among the trend of Cubans in various islands studying medicine or doing their research and medicine work in various Caribbean islands and also volunteering and helping out.

It's also common for Cubans to go to Venezuela for such although I know there is controversy or disputes in relations and regulations between Cuba and Venezuela.

What also could happen in the future is the sense of a brain drain and the best and the brightest being used etc. Only time will tell.

I think that you don't seem to understand that Cubans just cannot pick up and go where they wish like the rest of us. They must either defect, or be lucky enough to be selected to work in one of those countries. And many try to defect once they get there by marrying a local.

I suspect that Brazil's problems with the doctors is that the ones who they selected were the low caliber ones.

Last edited by caribny; 12-06-2013 at 11:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 11:41 PM

2,241 posts, read 2,674,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I think that you don't seem to understand that Cubans just cannot pick up and go where they wish like the rest of us. They must either defect, or be lucky enough to be selected to work in one of those countries. And many try to defect wants they get there by marrying a local.

I suspect that Brazil's problems with the doctors is that the ones who they selected were the low caliber ones.
And I think you don't understand what I was actually trying to say and the point I was trying to make.

My point is that Cubans seem to be educated often and have a lot to offer and give abroad. However, it's hard for Cubans to get to leave the island many times.

Many Cubans go to and immigrate to places like United Kingdom, Spain, France, Holland, and in various nations on the African continent.

So I guess it could be said that the Cuban situation can be a mixed curse and a mixed blessing.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:06 AM

Quote:

Just for your information the dancing and the costumes at the end are also present among Trinidadians. Their beat is different though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeMYyjn3WkQ

Trini Orisha music. They are singing in Trini ritualistic Yoruba.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTxhA...05FF2A9FE7BF4A

Orisha festival in Tdad. From the poor quality of the video you will know this is authentic and not staged by professionals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b47NW...05FF2A9FE7BF4A

Last edited by caribny; 12-07-2013 at 05:19 AM..

Old 12-07-2013, 04:51 AM

2,241 posts, read 2,674,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Just for your information the dancing and the costumes at the end are also present among Trinidadians. Their beat is different though.

Songs of the Orisha Palais - Medley of Songs to Oshun... - YouTube

Trini Orisha music. They are singing in Trini ritualistic Yoruba.

Trinidad and Tobago Orisha Music - YouTube
Yep. I'm aware of Orishas and Oyas and Ogguns and Oshun existing in Trinidad in certain parts of Trinidad.

There is probably connections between Trinidadians and Cubans.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:08 AM

530 posts, read 1,078,141 times
Here are the Education ratings of every Caribbean nation, according to the United Nations's Human Development Index:

Cuba: 0.857
Barbados: 0.824
Grenada: 0.775
Jamaica: 0.748
Antigua and Barbuda: 0.726
St. Vincent and the Grenadines: 0.713
Trinidad and Tobago: 0.698
St. Kitts and Nevis: 0.693
The Bahamas: 0.687
St. Lucia: 0.683
Dominica: 0.657
Guyana: 0.625
Dominican Republic: 0.625
Haiti: 0.407

Source: Indices & Data | Human Development Reports (HDR) | United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)

Old 12-07-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Yep. I'm aware of Orishas and Oyas and Ogguns and Oshun existing in Trinidad in certain parts of Trinidad.

There is probably connections between Trinidadians and Cubans.

Tremendous connections. Both have great carnival based musical and dance traditions, that being the most obvious. Brazil can join them too. Then Yoruba based African religions are what survived.

They were both neglected Spanish colonies (Tdad moreso). They both benefitted from the arrivals of white and mulato French creoles bringing their slaves, leading to a AfroFrench creole influence in both (eastern Cuba). Because they both got into the sugar plantation system late in the day both societies benefitted from heavy importation of Africans in the 19th century. Only Brazil and Guyana also had that.

What connects them though is that they are both Catholic societies and for what ever reason Catholicism lends is self more to the survival of African religions than do Anglican/Protestant based societies. Maybe because in both there is much emphasis on saints (orishas) and there is a greater spiritualism, vs the more book based "rationalism" of Anglicanism.

Plus the British were may more terrified of people who were culturally different than were the French, Spanish, and Portuguese who had been trading with the Arabs, Asians and even sub Saharan Africa fir centuries. The British even tried to ban drums! Though clearly they failed as there is not one Caribbean island which doesn't have a drum based musical tradition...even Barbados, the most "British", has some of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or