U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 02:07 AM

1 posts, read 9,650 times

Advertisements

Which countries in Latin America is English widely spoken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 02:22 AM

13,013 posts, read 19,886,523 times
Just in the English-speaking countries - Belize, etc.

In the Spanish-speaking ones and prtuguese-speaking one, you'll have a difficult time without some if the basics. Mexico will probably be the exception, in the areas where many Americans might go, anyways.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:17 AM

24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
Guyana, English is actually the Official language there. It's the only British colony in South America.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:18 AM

36,588 posts, read 57,867,463 times
Guyana, Belize, that's really it other than border cities in Mexico where many businesses/merchants speak english.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:20 AM

2,054 posts, read 1,364,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just in the English-speaking countries - Belize, etc.

In the Spanish-speaking ones and prtuguese-speaking one, you'll have a difficult time without some if the basics. Mexico will probably be the exception, in the areas where many Americans might go, anyways.

By definition, Belize, Jamaica, Guyana, are not part of latin-America.
I don't think English is much spoken in most of latin America. I think that in the places full of north Americans such as Cancun most people could know some English. I never took any attention of how English is spoken when I've been to Mexico, Costa Rica or Argentina, since I can speak Spanish. And a lot of people could speak french where I have been in Dominican Republic.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:30 AM

36,588 posts, read 57,867,463 times
Puerto Rico.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:07 AM

203 posts, read 251,347 times
Cuba.
If you flash 20 CUCS, everybody will speak the Queen's English.
You also find a lot of people that speak German and Russian.
Never heard any tourists complaining about language issues.
Thanks to their "internationalistic" past, you will find people fluent in the strangest languages such as Mongolian, Amharic, Czech, etc.
English appeared from nowhere, the official teaching of that language was forbidden during 30 years in favour of Russian.

Last edited by buahh; 03-17-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 03-17-2012, 10:39 AM

38,755 posts, read 39,152,929 times
Venezuela is the Latin American country where I found the most people who could speak English, by a pretty wide margin over any others. A lot of Venezuelans have been to Miami, at least on vacations, and the Miami Herald is easy to find there and well read. In all other Latin American countries, you can travel for days without encountering a single person who can speak English.

I lived in Chile for a year, and never met a single Chilean who could speak English, except a travel agent and maybe somebody on he staff of a hotel that has a couple of stars. I could count on my fingers the number of people I met in three yeas in South America who could speak English.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:12 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,294,946 times
Like the others mentioned, there aren't many countries in South America or Latin American where much English is spoken on a wide scale level.

I've been to just about every country in South America and lived in Rio, Buenos Aires and Uruguay and although the highly educated in these places mostly speak English, the everyday common person on the street doesn't.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:08 PM

13,856 posts, read 13,997,303 times
I seem to recall reading of a town in Colombia that was settled by English. It looks like I might be thinking of San Andres and Providencia Island.

San Andres Island confronting modernity - Columns - JamaicaObserver.com

Would the Panama Canal Zone still have a fair amount of Americans? Or Panama in general for that matter? It seemed like Costa Rica had some US immigrants or wealthy people who bought a second home there. I believe the US occupied the Dominican Republic for awhile and they're in an area of linguistic diversity. Still they might not work.

Otherwise Belize and Guyana if you count them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas