U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:15 AM

3,338 posts, read 5,833,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Aramaic (or whatever came before that) in Israel. so deal with it.
Actually, that's the one case which very well wouldn't be the example you're looking for because Hebrew was indeed a good case of successfully reviving an ancient language, having died out in common use in around the time at the end of the Roman Empire, surviving only as a literary/religious language, only to be revived again as a language that could be used for common speech in the late 19th century.

It's now an official language, as many know and are proud of.

To my knowledge, this is one of the only examples of it (and involved a lot of effort and very strong motivation by the people themselves, who really did want to revive it, to work).

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Another example is the Asian nation, Sri Lanka (Ceylon). National law requires all school and college instruction to be in Sinhalese, not English. As a result, everyone in Sri Lanka have a hard time communicating in a global society. No telephone call-centers there as in neighboring India.
The fact that favouring the Sinhalese language (among other things) triggered the ire of the Tamil minority (previously the Tamils were favoured by the British, and the pendulum swung the other way) was one factor that provoked a civil war that resulted in two decades of devastation and lost potential.

I'd blame Sri Lanka's wasted potential over those years to the war moreso than any language policy by itself. Sri Lanka actually has very high literacy rate (a bit over 90%) relative to its standard of living, highest in South Asia and definitely not bad. It also has pretty decent social attitudes for a developing country (eg. more gender egalitarianism than India or other south Asian nations, and seems still pretty religiously tolerant, well at least relative to many countries where multiple religions co-exist) as well as potential in other ways (tourism, for instance).

While not downplaying the role of English as a global language, people should stop trying to pretend that learning English is a "magic bullet" to helping a nation achieve economic success (unfortunately a lot of people, both in the west and in places like India, sometimes have this over-optimistic view), without having to work on other things. A country like Japan (with one of the most complicated writing systems on the globe) managed to make it into the First World through literacy in its own tongue.

Last edited by Stumbler.; 03-22-2012 at 10:57 AM..

Old 03-22-2012, 10:32 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,230,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
While not downplaying the role of English as a global language, people should stop trying to pretend that learning English is a "magic bullet" to helping a nation achieve economic success (unfortunately a lot of people, both in the west and in places like India, sometimes have this over-optimistic view), without having to work on other things. A country like Japan (with one of the most complicated writing systems on the globe) managed to make it into the First World through literacy in its own tongue.
The value of knowing English is declining as more people learn it ot be sure. However, it should be noted that the vast majority of Japan's economic and political development occurred before English really assumed the dominant position that it has gained the last 20 years or so.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 AM

9,990 posts, read 21,254,165 times
Should people in England started speaking Gaelic again since they displaced the Celts into the mountains of Wales and Scotland?

Sorry, but local culture has been disrupted by incoming stronger groups since humanity began. It's not fair but life is rarely fair.

I wish all the La Raza people would start asking why their society was weaker than Spain and got conquered. Why didn't you all go to Europe and conquer it?

Old 03-22-2012, 01:07 PM

21,890 posts, read 19,508,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
I was born in El Salvador but I refuse to call Spanish My language. It's the language of Spain. Before people from Spain arrived, another language was spoken, Nahuatl was spoken, the name of the country was changed to El Salvador, before it was known Cuscatlan. My parents talk to me in Spanish, I respond back in English. English is also not my language. My language died many years ago after Spain took over. I refuse to speak the language that was replaced in the land where I was born, so I have communicate in English. I hate how people assume you speak Spanish just because you're Hispanic. They should realize that not everybody has accepted this as their language.
Sounds like you will have a difficult life.
I know what you mean, but don't forget that today's people speaking Castellano are not guilty of anything that happened in the past. A language is just a tool, as long as you don't behave like the Spaniards centuries ago, I would not hesitate to use it. You are not betraying anyone or anything by speaking Castellano. Castellano is actually a pretty cool language, one of the most important on this planet. It is probably your mother tongue, so you can express subtle things in it like in no other language.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:34 PM

39 posts, read 41,975 times
I am native to Peru. I use to think like that hating Spanish but got over it especially since i speak English as my native language. Since Latin America speaks mostly Spanish I don't think its wrong for people to assume that as a Hispanic I can speak Spanish. On the other hand if they cant understand a Hispanic not speaking Spanish that's a different story.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:39 AM

203 posts, read 484,853 times
I'm going to ditch Spanish and start learning Iberian and Celtic. Those evil Roman conquistadores stole all our gold and raped our women!!!

Best yet, I'm going to learn the language that we spoke before the invasions of Indoeuropean invaders that exterminated most of the local population using metals and horses, raped our women and stole our gold some 3.000 to 4.000 years ago.

Even better, I'm going to learn the language of Neanderthals, the true inhabitants of Europe that were massacred and eaten by Homo Sapiens some 30.000 to 40.000 years ago.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:36 AM

21,890 posts, read 19,508,775 times
Exactly, one just can't turn back time and undo history. Sooner or later it makes sense to just learn to live with reality and find peace.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 AM

5,340 posts, read 11,136,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sooner or later it makes sense to just learn to live with reality and find peace.
... Dreamer !!! ...

I learned early in life that you get used to everything sooner or later,
even hanging ... , and after the first 2 minutes, you won't complain anymore !

Also:
Getting used to things, occurs in three stages -
1 - You abhor it
2 - You condone it
3 - You embrace it

Where are you in life today ?

BTW @ Neuling:
Do you think in your native language ?

Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM

573 posts, read 1,725,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I don't know why you people are saying Nahuatl disappeared, it's currently the mother tongue of an estimated 1.5 million human beings, probably one of the most healthy native languages in the Americas. It's widely spoken in Mexico, there's thousands of primarily Nahuatl speaking villages all across Mexico, if you want to learn the language I'm sure you can. While the local El Salvador dialect is highly endangered, you could just learn a neighbouring dialect from southern Mexico. Of course, you'd have to move to Mexico to live immersed in this language. Nahuatl speakers are stigmatized and speaking the language is associated with poverty in Mexico, maybe you could learn the language and try to change peoples perceptions of it.
I'm not going to move to "Mexico" to live with people who speak that language. I am from the land of El Salvador which used to be called Cuscatlan, there is NO Mexican in my blood.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:21 PM

573 posts, read 1,725,625 times
When people ask me why I don't speak Spanish I simply reply " I'm not from Spain. " I want nothing to do with Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas