Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:48 PM

190 posts, read 704,571 times

Advertisements

Pues no lo hables.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:21 PM

4,434 posts, read 6,953,354 times
Nahuatl is still spoken in parts of rural Mexico and perhaps in parts of Central America. Why don't you then try to make an effort to learn that language? Nahuatl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,950,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
I was born in El Salvador but I refuse to call Spanish My language. It's the language of Spain. Before people from Spain arrived, another language was spoken, Nahuatl was spoken, the name of the country was changed to El Salvador, before it was known Cuscatlan. My parents talk to me in Spanish, I respond back in English. English is also not my language. My language died many years ago after Spain took over. I refuse to speak the language that was replaced in the land where I was born, so I have communicate in English. I hate how people assume you speak Spanish just because you're Hispanic. They should realize that not everybody has accepted this as their language.
sooo.. what makes you unique? I don't think any country today retains their "original" language. Just think, they don't speak Latin (or whatever came before that) in Italy, Aramaic (or whatever came before that) in Israel. so deal with it. El Salvador is officially a Spanish speaking country (government conducts business in Spanish) so its safe to assume a Salvadorean will speak Spanish.

If we all chose to speak only obscure "original" languages, global commerce and diplomacy will suffer. So count your blessings you and your countrymen speak a language (no matter how contrived the agony of having to speak it) that is common in many other countries.

Dramatic much?

Old 03-21-2012, 11:07 AM

36,933 posts, read 38,909,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
I was born in El Salvador but I refuse to call Spanish My language. It's the language of Spain. Before people from Spain arrived, another language was spoken, Nahuatl was spoken, the name of the country was changed to El Salvador, before it was known Cuscatlan. My parents talk to me in Spanish, I respond back in English. English is also not my language. My language died many years ago after Spain took over. I refuse to speak the language that was replaced in the land where I was born, so I have communicate in English. I hate how people assume you speak Spanish just because you're Hispanic. They should realize that not everybody has accepted this as their language.
Do you speak nahuatl now? You know there are a lot of related languages still alive and kicking and you can learn those first and then work hard at reconstructing related languages. Put your beliefs where your mouth is.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,808,900 times
Even English isn't Englands original language!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:08 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,830,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Do you speak nahuatl now? You know there are a lot of related languages still alive and kicking and you can learn those first and then work hard at reconstructing related languages. Put your beliefs where your mouth is.
But that would require initiative and not bitter complaining

Old 03-21-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I think the OP should put his/her life effort into reintroducing this ancient language to the world.
I think it'd be funnier if the world became monolingual with a language that was newly introduced and was a derivative of Spanish

Old 03-21-2012, 02:28 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,795,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think it'd be funnier if the world became monolingual with a language that was newly introduced and was a derivative of Spanish
They tried once with Esperanto, and as far as I know, that did not go over that well either ??

Old 03-21-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
They tried once with Esperanto, and as far as I know, that did not go over that well either ??

I blame the name, they should have used something cooler, maybe some celebrity support to add into the mix.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 AM

4,363 posts, read 7,028,154 times
Here is a South American country that really encourages its indigenous language to the max:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/12/wo...Guarani&st=cse

Another example is the Asian nation, Sri Lanka (Ceylon). National law requires all school and college instruction to be in Sinhalese, not English. As a result, everyone in Sri Lanka have a hard time communicating in a global society. No telephone call-centers there as in neighboring India.

The Cornish (Celtic language of S.W. England) is undergoing a slight revival. People as far away as Melbourne Australia are taking Cornish lessons, LOL, which seems a waste of time.

Last edited by slowlane3; 03-22-2012 at 09:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas