Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 PM

573 posts, read 2,052,874 times

Advertisements

I was born in El Salvador but I refuse to call Spanish My language. It's the language of Spain. Before people from Spain arrived, another language was spoken, Nahuatl was spoken, the name of the country was changed to El Salvador, before it was known Cuscatlan. My parents talk to me in Spanish, I respond back in English. English is also not my language. My language died many years ago after Spain took over. I refuse to speak the language that was replaced in the land where I was born, so I have communicate in English. I hate how people assume you speak Spanish just because you're Hispanic. They should realize that not everybody has accepted this as their language.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,298,132 times
Are you descended from the Native American people that inhabited El Salvador before the Spanish arrived? If so and you want to hold onto the native culture you could always learn the old language. I'm sure there are many others who would be interested in learning as well who could join you.

I think it is not a good idea though to hold onto the past. What the European colonists did in the old days cannot be undone, especially in North and South America, where European religions, languages, and DNA are so ingrained in the populations.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 PM

3,898 posts, read 6,694,817 times
hahahahahaha!

This is funny!

Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 AM

9 posts, read 30,488 times
Thanks for sharing... I don't see any logic that would justify your usage of English as a better replacement.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:48 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,873,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
I was born in El Salvador but I refuse to call Spanish My language. It's the language of Spain. Before people from Spain arrived, another language was spoken, Nahuatl was spoken, the name of the country was changed to El Salvador, before it was known Cuscatlan. My parents talk to me in Spanish, I respond back in English. English is also not my language. My language died many years ago after Spain took over. I refuse to speak the language that was replaced in the land where I was born, so I have communicate in English. I hate how people assume you speak Spanish just because you're Hispanic. They should realize that not everybody has accepted this as their language.
Most Americans are ill-educated and many are racist (in this sense that they lump all people together and then write them off) . . .

Little intellectual curiosity about nuances . . .

Old 03-20-2012, 01:56 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,250,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
i would be really surprised if you had no european ancestry. who do you most look like skin tone wise george lopez, daddy yankee, or shakira?

Old 03-20-2012, 02:01 AM

22,139 posts, read 29,445,916 times
Because the vast majority of Hispanics speak Spanish maybe? Get over yourself!

Old 03-20-2012, 02:25 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Most Americans are ill-educated and many are racist (in this sense that they lump all people together and then write them off) . . .

Little intellectual curiosity about nuances . . .
Is that Americans referring to from Argentina to Canada, all of them?

If so, yes, when I was in countries like Ecuador, Peru, etc., I did see a lot of racism towards indigenous people. No respect for their languages either.

I think there is a strong reason why the mass majority of Mexico's and Hispanic Americans to the United States are not the european spanish ones, but most often the indigenous ones and mestizo with heavy indigenous roots ones.

Unfortunately many are losing their native languages as well, as they have to travel so far from their native lands to find people to employ them.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-20-2012 at 02:40 AM..

Old 03-20-2012, 02:37 AM

9,770 posts, read 14,606,230 times
This again? I clearly remember responding to a thread just like this one created by the very same OP.

Look what I found:

Quote:
The most frequent haplogroup in the general metropolitan population was the European R1b, while in the Indigenous samples considered as a whole the most frequent was the Amerindian haplogroup Q3.
The genetic male legacy from El Salvador. [Forensic Sci Int. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Quote:
urban population: 64% of total population (2010)
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/es.html

Quote:
According to about one half in metropolitan areas and two thirds in rural populations of El Salvador belong to non-Native American haplogroups; for instance, the most common Y-chromosome haplogroup in Europe (namely, R1b) is present in El Salvador at 24% in metropolitan areas and 43% in rural regions.
PLoS ONE: Mitochondrial Echoes of First Settlement and Genetic Continuity in El Salvador

Yeah, that's a big problem for the OP and his whole anti-Spanish diatribe.

He should really do the autosomal DNA test at 23andme. I hope he shares the results with everyone, but something tells me he probably will not. The probability his reality will ruin his argument is probably quite high. LOL

Old 03-20-2012, 03:55 AM

5,806 posts, read 11,820,638 times
Spanish is "not your language" and if I understand your rant, your so called actual language doesn't exist anymore, it disappeared centuries ago.
I believe you have psychological problems, you should visit the doc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas