U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country?
Brazil 26 37.14%
Cuba 23 32.86%
Colombia 3 4.29%
Venezeula 6 8.57%
Panama 12 17.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:18 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,471,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Like????
There is a mix of African-Spanish dances in St.Elizabeth and African-Portuguese-Indian in Westmoreland.

Also Sephardi Jews and their descendants that have been in Jamaica since 1492 and helped to maintain Latin cultural influences. Many of the slaveowners and business traders were Jews, especially Sephardi Jews.

Jamaica was a Spanish colony for almost 2 centuries.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
This is good information. It is difficult to find someone who knows so much information about the other side of our heritage, Panama. Many of us Afro-Pacific people's African ancestors first arrived to Panama. I admit when I was thinking of the Afro-Spanish Speaking Panamanians being like us Pacific coastal and Atlantic coastal Afro-Colombians, I was thinking primarily of the Darienitas. I saw a documentary on the Darienitas and it looked like an extension of Choco. It is the same Bullerengue as the Palenquero Bullerengue as I have CDs from both the Panamanian and Colombian side. Even on wikipedia someone noticed the same origin, "El bullerengue o bullarengue es un género musical y de danza de la Costa Caribe de Colombia 1 y de la provincia de Darién, Panamá.2
Es ejecutada principalmente por los actuales descendientes de los cimarrones que habitaron el Palenque de San Basilio (Colombia),3 el Palenque del Mamoní o Santiago del Príncipe y la tribu de los mandinga de Kuna Yala (Panamá), que se extendieron hasta el Darién histórico.4" Bullerengue - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

When I was referring to Bunde, I was speaking of this Bunde from the Pacific coast, this is a very popular song: bunde del pacifico - YouTube

In reference to migrants to Panama, yes I know some Chocoano/as currently living there. Many people from the Northern Pacific coast (Choco) migrate there. However us from the Southern Pacific (especially Nariño) usually migrate to Ecuador. There are Bonaverenses, Tumaqueños and Barbacoanos in Esmeraldas and Guayaquil. Actually in contemporary Ecuador, Black people are often perceived as Colombian migrants. There are probably opinions that all Colombians are Black or a majority of them in the countries south of us.

Do you have any documentaries or books on the Pearl Islands' Afro community you mentioned? I have never heard of them. This is reminding me of something like Juanchaco and Ladrilleros, Afro populated islands off the coast of Buenaventura, which is the largest city on the Pacific coast with a population of 500,000+.

I have also read about Chiriqui being the white epicenter of Panama. It is basically the Paisa region of Panama in my opinion. And just like the Paisa region of Colombia, Chiriqui had also tried to become an independent country.

As far as Panama being one country with the Atlantic coast and Pacific coast of Colombia that is difficult because, the Pacific coastal AfroColombians do not identify with Atlantic coastal AfroColombians nor really have any communication with each other. The cultures and dialects are different and they don't really identify with each other. The Pacific Coast is like Haiti and Jamaica while the Atlantic coast is a more mixed cousin like the Dominican Republic or Puerto Rico. Pacific Coastal AfroColombians always criticize AfroAtlantic and/or mixed people from that region for denying their Blackness and African heritage. The Pacific coastal AfroColombians, we're a self-identified Black people. The Pacific coastal AfroColombians have just recently been interacting with Palenqueros from Bolivar on the Atlantic coast due to this shared self-identified Blackness and embracement of African ancestry. If there were to be an independent country it would just be Choco, as some have proposed it, and possibly the rest of the Pacific coastal lowlands in Valle, Cauca and Nariño if their mestizo dominated highlands permitted it. You see Choco is the only department with a Black government and capital, while the Black Pacific coastal communities of Valle Del Cauca, Cauca and Nariño have to deal with the mestizo dominated capitals of Cali, Popayan and Pasto. Valle del Cauca and Cauca also have Black Andean communities though, and they are pockets of Africanity near these capitals. For example, south of Cali, you have communities like Robles, Villapaz, Villarica, etc. There are many predominantly Black communities in that South Valle/North Cauca region near Cali. However, even Pacific coastal AfroColombians and these Andean AfroColombians see each other differently because their culture and heritage developed differently. They speak different and have different music but, they all meet in Cali. The Andean AfroColombians would be perceived as being more stereotypically Colombian, perhaps because they're near the large city of Cali. Pacific coastal AfroColombians have had more of an isolated heritage, making it more autonomous. These two groups are both Western Afro-Colombians from Valle, Cauca, and Nariño and yet there is no really unified identification there. Pacific coastal people perceive them as being much more Indigenized culturally, musically, dialectically as they have lived near Andean Natives for centuries. While on the Pacific coast, you will even see Africanized Native peoples playing African instruments like Marimbas. I leave you an example here with these two videos, from the same department, CAUCA.

First one is Caucano Afro-Andeans:
Violines del Cauca - YouTube

2nd one is Caucano Afro-Costeños (Timbiquireños):

Grupo Socavon - Comadre Mayeya - YouTube
BTW this is Currulao, unique to our Southern Pacific coast of Colombia and Northern Pacific coast of Ecuador
A lot of cultural traditions in Colombia actually originated in Panama.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:31 AM

76 posts, read 76,842 times
More equal? Equal to each other?
Haiti?

Old 10-19-2014, 08:57 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,949,757 times
To answer the question.

NONE.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Like????
Jamaicans of Spanish descent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-22-2014, 05:13 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,927,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
There is a mix of African-Spanish dances in St.Elizabeth and African-Portuguese-Indian in Westmoreland.

Also Sephardi Jews and their descendants that have been in Jamaica since 1492 and helped to maintain Latin cultural influences. Many of the slaveowners and business traders were Jews, especially Sephardi Jews.

Jamaica was a Spanish colony for almost 2 centuries.

Please show me a youtube of these people in St Elizabeth dancing like ancient Spaniards of the 15th cebtury.

You are too funny!

Jamaica was Spanish only up to 1655. It was basically uninhabited for most of this period. The Spanish preferred their mainland colonies, and even neglected Hispaniola and Cuba and PR.

Why do you think that a drunken loser, who was beaten off by starving Spaniards in Santo Domingo, was so easily able to conquer Jamaica. Indeed when he returned to England the powers that be were very angry with him for his failure, because there was NOTHING in Jamaica at the time.

I really dont think that few Jews who remain in Jamaica (MANY OF WHOM ARE ASKENAZI) will want you to0 peddle the lie that Jews dominated the plantation systems of Jamaica. In an island where the VAST majority of the population are of African descent, are HIGHLY aware of slavery and its impact, and POLITICALLY DOMINATE that island, they will not think that you are helping them, and indeed will most likeoy call you as anti Semitic as Farrakhan was when he said the same thing.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:16 PM

Afraid that your link undermines your argument. You might as well post that Cuba was also a British colony, for a short while. Indeed in the short period that the British were there was more impactful than the years that the Spanish occupied Jamaica. Indeed it was the British who re-introduced sugar back into Cuba and made it a major sugar producing island.

Yet I would suggest that British culture is irrelevant to any discussion of contemporary Cuba.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboardstephen View Post
i have been lurking on this site so this will be my first post. I'm African American and I live in Salvador,Brazil. I teach English at a good school but before that I had an interview for an office job and there wasn't one Black employee there. I didn't get the job despite being qualified for it. This is in the blackest city in Brazil yet the White elite run everything.

Clearly then they have a DEFINITE policy of NOT hiring blacks in what is one of the blackest cities in the Americas outside of the Caribbean.

Yet there are those who get hysterical every time some one suggests that racism is a huge problem in Brazil, and in most other parts of latin America.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:58 AM

9 posts, read 17,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Celtic View Post
There are plenty of blacks employed at every level at the Pelourinho, the old city. The Barra area is a fancy place with lots of tourists, so most are white but there are also plenty of dark people. Racism is no problem, poverty and classism are.
Here we go again...

Old 10-26-2014, 06:02 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,949,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afroswed88 View Post
Here we go again...
Don't worry that was my same reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or