U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country?
Brazil 26 37.14%
Cuba 23 32.86%
Colombia 3 4.29%
Venezeula 6 8.57%
Panama 12 17.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 06:38 AM

9 posts, read 17,965 times

Advertisements

If we dont have racism in Brazil. Why is the white guy from Sweden with a black brazilian women seen as low class and is almost not served in restaurant in RIO? Would it be the same if the white Swedish guy have a white girlfriend and went to a restaurant with mostly high class Brazilians? Some people are ignorant about the racism in Brazil.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:41 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,729,946 times
What is all of the excessive and unhealthy obsession, and I mean obsession with racist this and racist that? And, beyond that it's always with regards to blacks, and people of color? Its becoming absurd to be honest.

Racism has and always will exist and is existing in many extreme forms in many countries, and frankly, blacks are just a tiny part of the racism equation. But in I think this thread and that: what country is more racist, less racist, which country has more blacks, less blacks....etc etc.. I really think alot of this garbage has more to do with politics than it does racism.

For all of this absurdity on diveristy training reform and equality, to be honest all of this focus on racism is in itself, racist......and I am pretty sick of it. The fact that people are so polarized about it, its all over the media, in this thread etc. What about the slavery that ISIS and the Taliban, the slavery that they impose upon people? What about the sex slave trade, isnt that slavery? And frankly far faaaaarrr more serious. People are dying, being slaughtered, raped, maimed, killed, babies are stomped on, children are beheaded....THAT'S slavery.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:52 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,948,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
What is all of the excessive and unhealthy obsession, and I mean obsession with racist this and racist that? And, beyond that it's always with regards to blacks, and people of color? Its becoming absurd to be honest.

Racism has and always will exist and is existing in many extreme forms in many countries, and frankly, blacks are just a tiny part of the racism equation. But in I think this thread and that: what country is more racist, less racist, which country has more blacks, less blacks....etc etc.. I really think alot of this garbage has more to do with politics than it does racism.

For all of this absurdity on diveristy training reform and equality, to be honest all of this focus on racism is in itself, racist......and I am pretty sick of it. The fact that people are so polarized about it, its all over the media, in this thread etc. What about the slavery that ISIS and the Taliban, the slavery that they impose upon people? What about the sex slave trade, isnt that slavery? And frankly far faaaaarrr more serious. People are dying, being slaughtered, raped, maimed, killed, babies are stomped on, children are beheaded....THAT'S slavery.
Fact - You do not understand the dynamics of racism and how society has been structured so what you have to say is meaningless.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:01 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Celtic View Post
The western half of Cuba was British during 9 months. Colombus brought sugar cane to Cuba, and the island was already producing large amounts of sugar before English appeared in the area. British were mostly pirates.

Sorry your history is incorrect. Clearly you never learned Caribbean history in school. Indeed the every demographics of the Hispanic Caribbean (vs., the non Hispanic Caribbean) is evidence that slavery (integral to sugar) was not a major institution, except in Cuba in its late stages as a Spanish colony. Indeed the vast majority of slaves imported into Cuba arrived AFTER 1807 when the trans Atlantic slave trade was abolished.

The Spanish did bring sugar to the Caribbean but let the sugar industry die out when their interest shifted to mining in the mainland colonies. The Spanish colonies were NEVER large sugar producers until the late 18th century when it was re introduced into Cuba. At the peak of the sugar trade in the 1700s Cuba, PR, and DR had become semi subsistence societies where cattle rearing and coffee production were the largest industries Their importance lay more for their ports in San Juan and Havana than in any thing else.

cuba history .org - British Occupation

This is why Cuba did NOT become a large sugar exporter until the end of the 18th century.

The British became very successful colonists even though the islands which they ran were relatively small. Jamaica being the largest. In the mid 18th centuries Jamaica and St Domingue (French) were the wealthy colonies in the Caribbean. Cuba was NOT.

However the sugar industry was reintroduced into Cuba within that short period of British rule.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
What is all of the excessive and unhealthy obsession,
Racism has and always will exist and is existing in many extreme forms in many countries.

So let racism continue is what you say? To discuss it with an aim to eliminating it is an obsession!

You ought to be crazy of you claim that racism against blacks is a tiny part of it. The group most discriminated against ALL OVER the Americas have been those of African descent!

ISIS is a whole other topic and you can blame the Bush family and the CIA for that.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Racism is no problem, poverty and classism are.

And why are most of the poor in Brazil the darker people, and indeed why are most of the darker people poor in Brazil?

RACISM.........past, and yes even PRESENT!

You may wish to hide it, and so those who suffer from it, continue to be so stigmatized, but sadly for you in Brazil there is increasing discussion of this issue thanks to the growth of black empowerment groups.

To the extent that attempts are finally being made to address it, two generations AFTER similar attempts were made in the USA, is no thanks to people like you!

Old 10-26-2014, 06:25 PM

7 posts, read 6,719 times
Quote:
There are plenty of blacks employed at every level at the Pelourinho, the old city. The Barra area is a fancy place with lots of tourists, so most are white but there are also plenty of dark people. Racism is no problem, poverty and classism are.
My wife who is also Black and was born and raised in Salvador would beg to differ with your statement about there being no racism in Brazil. I live not far at all from Barra and I could walk to Pelorinho from where I live if I wanted. What color are the people sweeping the street? What color are the people begging in Pelorinho? What color are the people eating from trash cans or trying to sell mints and candy on the busses? Now what color are the elite? What color are the people driving Mercedes and living in luxury apartments in Barra, stiep and costa azul? Sure the racism here is not so in your face like it is in the USA and I believe that's because racism against Blacks is accepted by Blacks and it goes unchallenged leaving the White ruling elite comfortable. Let Black Brazilians try to take measures to see to it that they have equal footing in Brazilian society and I'm sure that would change but I highly doubt they'll do so.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboardstephen View Post
Let Black Brazilians try to take measures to see to it that they have equal footing in Brazilian society and I'm sure that would change but I highly doubt they'll do so.

This is why there is this vigorous denial of racism. Those who aren't treated as if they are black in Brazil don't want the status quo to change, and they fear a more aggressive demand from blacks in Brazil for equality.

Hence they demonize the African American (and to a lesser degree blacks from the Anglophone Caribbean) as being race obsessed, simply because the pattern of blatant racism in the USA has forced them to mobilize as blacks to fight against discrimination.

Then of course we have the infamous "Angry White Man" from the USA, who has suffered as the US labor force has punished those who are less skilled, by automation or outsourcing. Rather than blaming those who are responsible for their problems, they blame blacks and non white immigrants and "liberals". They lurk in threads on C-D.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:19 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,948,054 times
The internet reflects real life but in a more truthful way so peoples views come out more clearly.

Some people are so ignorant and above all (even if they denied it) are closet racists. Its funny people on here will say "no to racism!" on some threads yet on another be ignorant when posters go in a in-depth conversation about racism.

Alot of closet racists on this forum.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoan Pict View Post
I agree, treating blacks as special people is racist.
I think that classism is even worse, or the caste system.....in those cases, human will kill their neighbour just because he has a chicken.
Humans don't need any excuse to kill their equals, but if politicians keep tagging people all the time, humans, will follow the arrow, as when Jews live confined to special areas in Russia.

Where are blacks treated as "special" people? Does the fact that blacks in the USA and in Latin America receive treatment that is WORSE than others, when adjusted to their levels of education, not concern you?

It is evident. Blacks are DISPROPORTIONATELY represented among the poor in BOTH the USA and in Latin America, and to negate the impact of past racism, and even contemporary racism is DISHONEST!

You will need to explain why drug abuse among young blacks is LOWER than among young whites in the USA yet they are many more times likely to be arrested for drug related offenses. I am sure that this is equally true in countries like Brazil, Cuba, and Colombia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or