U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country?
Brazil 26 37.14%
Cuba 23 32.86%
Colombia 3 4.29%
Venezeula 6 8.57%
Panama 12 17.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 04:16 PM

211 posts, read 477,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
There aren't many white people left in Cuba. So I would say Cuba is the obvious answer.
Yeah, they only make up 37% of the population, no big deal. Cuba has a larger white population than most Latin American countries (in %) except for Arg/Uruguay, and maybe Chile/Brazil.

Anyways, the rural people in the provinces that are majority white are pretty racist. Also, police in Cuba harass blacks and the tourism industry is encouraged to hire whites. So I wouldn't say Cuba. In fact they all suck for blacks.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM

16 posts, read 46,810 times
As a Latino myself based on what I have seen and experienced and know it would have to be Cuba. In Venezuela and Colombia, it is socially acceptable to openly make fun of blacks, and to compliment a person's physical appearance if their skin is white or if they have features that are traditionally assocciated with Europeans such as blue eyes, blonde hair, etc. Panama, while i do not know much about it, has appalling rates of poverty and inequality especially in and around Colon, where predominantly afro descendants live. It is much less excusable for Panama to have such levels of poverty compared to Colombia because of their perpetual cash cow and their much lower population. Brazil, while improving greatly, still has a long way to go before it reaches any source of socioeconomic equality. Just compare the impoverished North and the glamorous South, it doesn't get any more obvious. Cuba is by far the most equal country out of all those other ones because that is one system that enforces social equality( at the expense of other very important variables) and even there it is common to hear White Cubans trash talk about Black Cubans, especially those from the western part of the island, and there is still obvious discrimination at the government level. In short, Cuba is the lesser of all the other evils.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,722,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
This is truly an eye opener. One of the great documentaries I can't wait to see it all. I was really ashamed that I fell for the Brazilian color - blind society propaganda with out really looking in to it. But as some one else here said I think the Cubans are probably the most racist. Surprising because the worst of them are former followers of Batista and he was a Mulatto. Maybe they didn't know. My daughter once worked for a Cuban doctor and she was going out with a Puerto Rican boy. The doctor and his family told her to "watch out" for that boy because "Puerto Ricans all have black blood." IMO that's a pretty pizz poor attitude.
it maybe on pbs.com or at least youtube

Old 03-14-2013, 09:59 PM

491 posts, read 1,331,504 times
Default Dominican Republic

It's not on the list, but I would have to say Dominican Republic.
The country is 73% mixed race, with Black being the dominant phenotype
of the mixed race.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 12 days ago)

5,168 posts, read 8,019,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
It's not on the list, but I would have to say Dominican Republic.
The country is 73% mixed race, with Black being the dominant phenotype
of the mixed race.
I think so too, although I wouldn't say their dominant phenotype is black. They seem mixed to me, most of them anyway.

I think the Dominican Republic has the largest percentage of black and mulattoes ruling a Latin American nation. Just look at the senators and deputies (congressmen):

Deputies (congressmen)

Senators (click on the "Senadores" tab)

I don't think other Latin American countries can compare favorably with this. Not even Cuba.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 12 days ago)

5,168 posts, read 8,019,848 times
Chamber of Deputies of countries listed here plus Dominican Republic. These are the people ruling these countries, you be the judge where blacks (and mulattoes/black-white mixed) are thought of as capable of occupying these positions.

Panama

Venezuela

Dominican Republic

Cuba

Maybe someone else can find good videos for Brazil and Colombia, because I couldn't find one where the faces of most congressmen could be visible.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 PM

491 posts, read 1,331,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I think so too, although I wouldn't say their dominant phenotype is black. They seem mixed to me, most of them anyway.

I think the Dominican Republic has the largest percentage of black and mulattoes ruling a Latin American nation. Just look at the senators and deputies (congressmen):

Deputies (congressmen)

Senators (click on the "Senadores" tab)

I don't think other Latin American countries can compare favorably with this. Not even Cuba.
Yes, I agree and nice find on the videos.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Chamber of Deputies of countries listed here plus Dominican Republic. These are the people ruling these countries, you be the judge where blacks (and mulattoes/black-white mixed) are thought of as capable of occupying these positions.

Maybe someone else can find good videos for Brazil and Colombia, because I couldn't find one where the faces of most congressmen could be visible.

Harlem Shake em Brasília no congresso nacional - YouTube

This is the first thing that popped up when I typed, "Congresso Nacional Brasilia" lol

Last edited by joelaldo; 03-15-2013 at 08:41 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 08:41 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,915 times

TV Senado Senadora Serys aposentadoria Oficial de Justiça - YouTube

I will not opine on whether Brazil treats it's black population fairly... but Brazil has never had a black president. Mexico, a country with a negligible black population, had a mixed-black president in the 1800's.... as did Colombia (with a bit of a larger black population)... this if not, of course, to assume that Mexico or Colombia have treated their populations fairly... but just to kind of put Brazil into perspective

Old 03-17-2013, 10:55 PM

9,857 posts, read 10,107,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Mexico, a country with a negligible black population, had a mixed-black president in the 1800's.
Benito Juarez was very dark skinned Zapotec, but we was not African. By the mid 19th century most of Mexico had bloodlines extending to both Europe and to Native people. I don't think you could say the same for Brazil who didn't abandon slavery until 1888.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or