U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country?
Brazil 26 37.14%
Cuba 23 32.86%
Colombia 3 4.29%
Venezeula 6 8.57%
Panama 12 17.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:25 PM

758 posts, read 1,963,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Benito Juarez was very dark skinned Zapotec, but we was not African. By the mid 19th century most of Mexico had bloodlines extending to both Europe and to Native people. I don't think you could say the same for Brazil who didn't abandon slavery until 1888.
Vicente Guerrero was of mixed Spanish, African and indigenous descent. I'm fully aware on who Benito was,,, was not referring to him. ;-)

Last edited by joelaldo; 03-19-2013 at 04:50 PM..

Old 04-27-2013, 04:07 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,856,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I was teaching in Sao Paulo. I taught 'shifts', either before personnel go to work, or during their lunch hour, of after they get out of work. Different places different days.

Maybe 10 different companies? Maybe it was just coincidence, but I never saw anyone who was black working in any of them. It just really stood out.
Maybe it has something to do with educational attainment. In Portugal, I never saw Africans working in offices too only in low paying jobs and it's because most of them don't have so much degree.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:31 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,392,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIayankee? View Post
Um, I cannot say I have never been to Cuba. But I live in Miami and the white cubans are some of the most racist people I have ever met (and many were from the island or their parents were) But like I said I have never been there.
But then again they're the ones who fled Cuba. They're hardly likely to be aligned with official vales.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:44 AM

578 posts, read 757,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
In Panama the black people are actually ahead of the usual mixed race Latino Panamanian. I noticed it in Panama and I asked a couple of black guys why. I was told that there was two main reasons for it. Most of the black people came to Panama as workers on the canal when it was being built. They came mostly from Jamacia and spoke English. They had also a desire for education that they had gotten from the English culture in Jamacia. This has persisted to this day and many of them are well educated and speak English and Spanish. This puts them into the middle class.
I spent a couple of days wandering around the most posh areas of Panama city and I saw who the real top of the food chain is. Blue eyed, blond haired folks driving around town in their Rolls, BMW's and other very expensive cars. All of them seemed to be 100% white Euros.
Actually that is NOT true about most blacks in Panama. Contrary to popular belief, most blacks came to Panama as slaves during the Spanish colonial period dating back 1501. During the Spanksh colonial era, the number of freed and escaped slaves as well as enslaved blacks and Africans swelled to huge numbers.

There were English speaking West Indian blacks that came to Panama and of course that has a complex role and dynamic in Panamanian society. However West Indian descent blacks don't outnumber Spanish speaking Afro colonial blacks in Panama.

What did people tell you about or make of the dimensions and dynamics of colonial blacks in Panama? It's interesting because it's almost as if colonial blacks in Panama have been silenced or swept under the rug.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
You are wrong, read a book before you make a claim.
Actually he's right. Haiti is part of Latin America. Haiti was the first established Latin American nation

Old 07-28-2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
Davy

You were right.
Haiti is not a Latin American country, notwithstanding the fact that it was once a French colony and the richest land on the world. They should coin another classification, "Afroamerica?"

Jamaica is not Latin America either.
Haiti IS a Latin American nation. Hell, it shares the same gottdamn island with Dominican Republic. French is a Romance language and is very much so Latin.

The term Latin America, "Amerique Latine", was coined by the French and Napoleon for goodness sakes.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:02 AM

205 posts, read 418,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
Yeah, they only make up 37% of the population, no big deal. Cuba has a larger white population than most Latin American countries (in %) except for Arg/Uruguay, and maybe Chile/Brazil.

Anyways, the rural people in the provinces that are majority white are pretty racist. Also, police in Cuba harass blacks and the tourism industry is encouraged to hire whites. So I wouldn't say Cuba. In fact they all suck for blacks.

Basically right. Guajiro "Rednecks" are a throwback to Alabama 50 years ago. Yes, the Police (PNR), mostly blacks from eastern provinces, do harass blacks and there's a law called "precriminality law" that states that blacks are prone to criminal behaviour.

As to blacks in the tourist industry...some 8 to 7 years ago, there were no blacks or mulattoes in the tourist industry....but....tourist complained, they wanted "typical people" serving their piña coladas, and women wanted mulattoes..gl

Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 PM

100 posts, read 130,284 times
Oh goodie! This is exactly the type of thread I was looking for.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:18 AM

205 posts, read 418,794 times
Returning to the question of the OP...none..not even in Haity.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKele View Post
In Panama the black people are actually ahead of the usual mixed race Latino Panamanian. I noticed it in Panama and I asked a couple of black guys why. I was told that there was two main reasons for it. Most of the black people came to Panama as workers on the canal when it was being built. They came mostly from Jamacia and spoke English. They had also a desire for education that they had gotten from the English culture in Jamacia. This has persisted to this day and many of them are well educated and speak English and Spanish. This puts them into the middle class.

I spent a couple of days wandering around the most posh areas of Panama city and I saw who the real top of the food chain is. Blue eyed, blond haired folks driving around town in their Rolls, BMW's and other very expensive cars. All of them seemed to be 100% white Euros.

It surprises me that in this modern age we still misrepresent scientifically evidenced facts about human ancestry--African people are the most ancient people, the mothers and fathers of humanity. There is no such thing as a 100% European, because Europeans are of African descent. Only Africans can possibly be 100%. A 100% African is someone whose ancestors never procreated with any derivative ethnic group, e.g. Asian, European, et cetera.

We tout how equal and colorblind we are in American society, but there seems to be a strong resistance to removing what I have termed the "remnants of racism" in the way we deny certain truths whenever they might diminish the perceived superiority of historically dominant groups. For example, we classify a pink-skinned, Cuban-Dominican-Ghanian as a minority (Black) and a tan-skinned, Sicilian, Greek, Spanish person as part of the majority
(White). This is an inaccurate, unscientific, and politically motivated method of classification.

Thank you for your otherwise insightful and educational post.
Most blacks in Panama have absolutely NO ancestral ties to Jamaica. And all blacks in Panama are also Latino.

Panama had a large number of slaves in Panama dating back to the very earliest of Spanish colonial times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or