Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country?
Brazil 26 37.14%
Cuba 23 32.86%
Colombia 3 4.29%
Venezeula 6 8.57%
Panama 12 17.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:17 AM

7 posts, read 15,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
After being a resident of Brazil for several years--hearing about an incident like this does not surprise me one bit.

"Sweep under the rug." "Blinders on." "Create an illusion."
This is quite accurate.

There is racism in Brazil, although it rarely ever gets to violence. There's a huge social difference between white and blacks, but my guess is that this is more the cause of racism (intrinsically intertwined with social stigma) than its consequence.

Last week, the Supreme Court upheld the racial quotas policies that were taking place in a few Brazilian universities, which might lead, I hope, to an increase in such policies in the near future. As of last year, the Rio de Janeiro State Government has implemented 20% racial quotas in all its civil servant exams; the same goes for entrance exams for the Brazilian Diplomatic Academy.

Aside from that, I've been told from locals that Southern Brazil is a lot more racist than the rest of the country. Truth be told, I have the impression that the South overall inclines to right-wing conservatism.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang-Drax View Post
This is quite accurate.

There is racism in Brazil, although it rarely ever gets to violence. There's a huge social difference between white and blacks, but my guess is that this is more the cause of racism (intrinsically intertwined with social stigma) than its consequence.

Last week, the Supreme Court upheld the racial quotas policies that were taking place in a few Brazilian universities, which might lead, I hope, to an increase in such policies in the near future. As of last year, the Rio de Janeiro State Government has implemented 20% racial quotas in all its civil servant exams; the same goes for entrance exams for the Brazilian Diplomatic Academy.

Aside from that, I've been told from locals that Southern Brazil is a lot more racist than the rest of the country. Truth be told, I have the impression that the South overall inclines to right-wing conservatism.

I agree with most of your post.

However, Southern Brazil also has very progressive politics, policies, and initiatives--and is way more egalitarian. I don't know how that relates to an inclination towards right-wing conservatism.

I don't know--maybe you could elaborate more...?

Old 05-06-2012, 01:01 PM

35 posts, read 191,815 times
many latin american countries dont significant enough black populations. u forgot to include puerto rico, dominican republic, nicragua. nd if u include brazil then u gotta include haiti nd other french and portuegese speaking countries in the americas, cuz brazil dont even speak spanish. But out of the countries u put on the poll, blacks are heavily marginized, as with most of Latin America, jus some more so than others. Especially Cuba and Brazil, blacks are marginalized, jus under the mask of racial equality. Out of the countries on this paticular poll, blacks are treated the best in Panama and Venezuela. But out of all Latin American countries, blacks are treated the best in Puerto Rico, by far.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 21,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuertoRicanGuy View Post
many latin american countries dont significant enough black populations. u forgot to include puerto rico, dominican republic, nicragua. nd if u include brazil then u gotta include haiti nd other french and portuegese speaking countries in the americas, cuz brazil dont even speak spanish. But out of the countries u put on the poll, blacks are heavily marginized, as with most of Latin America, jus some more so than others. Especially Cuba and Brazil, blacks are marginalized, jus under the mask of racial equality. Out of the countries on this paticular poll, blacks are treated the best in Panama and Venezuela. But out of all Latin American countries, blacks are treated the best in Puerto Rico, by far.
Very Tru... I agree.. In Puerto rico blacks are treated equally, unlike most other Latin American countries

Old 05-09-2012, 11:45 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buahh View Post
----

I've been in the two places and I visit Cuba frequently. White Cubans in Miami are "progressive" and "Affirmative Action Extremists" compared to White Cubans in Cuba.

The reason is that Castro used blacks to attack whites at the beginning of the revolution. Later he used blacks to occupy white areas of the country (Havana and western Cuba) that were not sympathetic to the communist revolution (Tibetanización).

During the first years of the revolution, whites that had not a communist or revolutionary background were descriminated upon and relegated. They were considered to be "worms" and "spies" of the Empire. Blacks were promoted to top positions.

But time put people in their right places
, and after four of five years all blacks were in disfavour and by the 1970's there were no blacks in any significant position.

Such actions perpretrated by Castro generated a lot of hatred between the two races that did not exist before. Other dictatorships used similar schemes, for example, Ceausescu used Gypsies, Saddam Hussein used Christians, etc.

In Miami, people are influenced by Civil Rights and Affirmative Action, and some of the Icons of the exiled community are blacks, such as the deceased Celia Cruz.
What are you, some kind of Nazi?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood-Star View Post
Very Tru... I agree.. In Puerto rico blacks are treated equally, unlike most other Latin American countries
There is discrimination against blacks in PR just like anywhere else, but it does seem as if it may be better than in other parts of Latin America.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:13 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,248 times
There aren't many white people left in Cuba. So I would say Cuba is the obvious answer.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 AM

3 posts, read 6,858 times
In Panama the black people are actually ahead of the usual mixed race Latino Panamanian. I noticed it in Panama and I asked a couple of black guys why. I was told that there was two main reasons for it. Most of the black people came to Panama as workers on the canal when it was being built. They came mostly from Jamacia and spoke English. They had also a desire for education that they had gotten from the English culture in Jamacia. This has persisted to this day and many of them are well educated and speak English and Spanish. This puts them into the middle class.

I spent a couple of days wandering around the most posh areas of Panama city and I saw who the real top of the food chain is. Blue eyed, blond haired folks driving around town in their Rolls, BMW's and other very expensive cars. All of them seemed to be 100% white Euros.

It surprises me that in this modern age we still misrepresent scientifically evidenced facts about human ancestry--African people are the most ancient people, the mothers and fathers of humanity. There is no such thing as a 100% European, because Europeans are of African descent. Only Africans can possibly be 100%. A 100% African is someone whose ancestors never procreated with any derivative ethnic group, e.g. Asian, European, et cetera.

We tout how equal and colorblind we are in American society, but there seems to be a strong resistance to removing what I have termed the "remnants of racism" in the way we deny certain truths whenever they might diminish the perceived superiority of historically dominant groups. For example, we classify a pink-skinned, Cuban-Dominican-Ghanian as a minority (Black) and a tan-skinned, Sicilian, Greek, Spanish person as part of the majority
(White). This is an inaccurate, unscientific, and politically motivated method of classification.

Thank you for your otherwise insightful and educational post.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:23 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
Interesting discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
Davy

You were right.
Haiti is not a Latin American country, notwithstanding the fact that it was once a French colony and the richest land on the world. They should coin another classification, "Afroamerica?"

Jamaica is not Latin America either.
Haiti and Jamaica are Caribbean nations. They need no new classification. Why in the world should a term like "AfroAmerica" be used?" SMH.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:45 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
you should watch the documentary series called "Black in Latin America" ..that may tell you ...
This is truly an eye opener. One of the great documentaries I can't wait to see it all. I was really ashamed that I fell for the Brazilian color - blind society propaganda with out really looking in to it. But as some one else here said I think the Cubans are probably the most racist. Surprising because the worst of them are former followers of Batista and he was a Mulatto. Maybe they didn't know. My daughter once worked for a Cuban doctor and she was going out with a Puerto Rican boy. The doctor and his family told her to "watch out" for that boy because "Puerto Ricans all have black blood." IMO that's a pretty pizz poor attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.