U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 09:12 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,482,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I mean, look at Charlize Theron. Isn't she technically considered African American? And white South Africans (or anyone white from Africa for that matter), they are still physically white.

I'm not white by the way.
No because she is not of African ancestry, therefore she cannot identify as African American in the United States. Charlize Theron can only claim her nationality which is South African American. African American implies racial identity.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:39 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,206,129 times
Cool. I have always thought it odd and on some levels a little disturbing how the rhetoric by some completely ignores that countries south of the US ever had European immigrants.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:15 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,205,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Cool. I have always thought it odd and on some levels a little disturbing how the rhetoric by some completely ignores that countries south of the US ever had European immigrants.
Oh,, believe me, I get that surprised, puzzled reaction all the time. I tell them I'm from Puerto Rico, and the next thing is always, "No way, I thought you were white!"

Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 AM

7,634 posts, read 2,450,780 times
Whatever works for them. It's not like the people are not of European heritage...

Old 06-04-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
St Maarten/Martin one can hardly say as the bulk of the people who live there are a floating group of people who come to make money and leave. This includes migrants from other parts of the Caribbean, Haiti, DR, Jamaica, Dominica and Guyana, in that order. Then there are large numbers of white French metropoles on the French side, and Indians dominating the duty free business on the Dutch side, together with Americans who are quite active in tourism related businesses. And of course people from Curacao, and Guadeloupe. One feels as if SXM is the downtown where every one comes to work, going "home" when they have made enough cash.

The indigenous St Maarteners are black (the whites and mixed left in the 19th century when the island's economy collapsed, leaving a subsistence population of salt gatherers and fishermen), but then they are only 15% of the population. The rest include people from every where in the world, including India and China.

Guadeloupe is about 80% black, 10% Indian, and the rest a divide of white, Amerindian and mixtures of all of the above. Martinique has more whites and mixed then Guadeloupe, and a slightly smaller Indian population.

One of the problems with tabulating populations of black vs mixed is that there is no defined criteria which is used to assign people to each group. So the StV census shows black at 77% in 1991, declining to 73% in 2001. The mixed was 17% in 1991, increasing to 20% in 2001. Coincidentally the black and mixed population was 94% in 1991, and 93% in 2001. The reality is that there is a group who float between self identifying as "black" and as "mixed". I don't think in an island like St V there is much social distinctions between "black" and :mixed", unlike Haiti and Jamaica where the old mulatto families are very insistent that they are not black.

The thing is that in most of the majority black societies race, and even skin color is of declining significance as blacks now dominate all, except for the highest levels of the business sectors. So I really don't think that too many people dwell too much on whether they are "black" or "mixed".

Guyana, Trinidad, Suriname, French Guyane and Belize are of course very different and hugely diverse.
All of that is really irrelevant when it comes to my comment though. The point is that people really should not be surprised to see other ethnic groups in these places. Caribbean people do not live in a box.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And that is what I said. And as a result Haiti has more people who are 100% vs. an island like St Kitts where most will be in that 85-90% range.

I can cite Guyana where there are certain Afro Guyanese villages where people are not only 100% African, but might even be mainly of particular ethnic groups. This compared with Georgetown which is more diverse.

In these villages, like Ithaca in West Coast Berbice, originally settlement was by people from particular ethnic African groups (I cant remember which but it might be Congo in the case of Ithaca). There is limited mixture with the nearby East Indians. So the villagers remained "purer" than in other places. There are one or two villages where Igbo was spoken up to the 1950s because the original settlers were Igbo, which encouraged many subsequent arrivals of Igbo background.
That is awesome. Hope the language can be revived...

Old 06-04-2014, 10:31 AM

40 posts, read 73,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Oh,, believe me, I get that surprised, puzzled reaction all the time. I tell them I'm from Puerto Rico, and the next thing is always, "No way, I thought you were white!"
Guys, this shouldn't be that difficult of a concept to grasp. The reason you get that reaction all the time as you stated is because most Puerto Ricans don't look White...Because they're mixed with other ethnicities than just White. It's not complicated.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:05 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,632,337 times
The racial classification of the 16th and 17h Century in Spanish America was probably the same or similar occurring in the frontier lands of the North America. There was a large degree of "metissage" in the US with Indians and Blacks and they were as accepted as in Spanish America. That's why many Americans have some black or Indian blood no matter small.

All this American "metis" society existing in frontiers crumbled with the massive advance of settlers with families, with the stablishment of racist priests and with the consolidation of a bourgeois society.

Now Hispanics are the fabric and they will join the Anglo classification in no time, Why? Numbers, poilitical clout and because they can.

As to the few white Hispanics in the US, they are rather well off or totally assimilated and they will benefit.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:38 AM

40 posts, read 73,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
The racial classification of the 16th and 17h Century in Spanish America was probably the same or similar occurring in the frontier lands of the North America. There was a large degree of "metissage" in the US with Indians and Blacks and they were as accepted as in Spanish America. That's why many Americans have some black or Indian blood no matter small.

All this American "metis" society existing in frontiers crumbled with the massive advance of settlers with families, with the stablishment of racist priests and with the consolidation of a bourgeois society.

Now Hispanics are the fabric and they will join the Anglo classification in no time, Why? Numbers, poilitical clout and because they can.

As to the few white Hispanics in the US, they are rather well off or totally assimilated and they will benefit.
Sounds like a lot of White supremacist rhetoric to me. The Mexicans or Hispanics that walk around claiming to be White are in the minority, as I've stated I have never heard a Mexican person state that they are White. In fact, the only time I see a correlation between the two are on applications in the race and ethnicity fields (Which I never fill out) that are made and constructed by White people, of whom I refuse to allow to define me.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:04 PM

9,845 posts, read 22,208,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I see nothing wrong with this if these Hispanics are actually white like actors Andy Garcia and Rita Moreno. I hope this isn't coming from those that look like George Lopez or Rosie Perez.
The last couple you mentioned are at least part White as well. You know you can mark more than one race in the census...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or