U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 12:10 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,882,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The last couple you mentioned are at least part White as well. You know you can mark more than one race in the census...
Then most Mexicans (and Central Americans/Peruvians/Bolivans) should be able to mark both 'White' and 'Native American'. Most don't though, since under Native American they ask you to designate a certain tribe, and a good majority of Latin American people have no idea what tribes/origins their indigenous blood (for that matter, what part of Spain/Europe, their European blood is from), and those that do know (because they are ethnically Mayan, Zapotec, Mexica etc) don't have such options. When the option is there, they usually just check 'Other'.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:16 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,843,472 times
Why not? This isn't new in America. Most folks who move here sign up with the white team.
I mean, that's where the money, power and respect is, right?

Old 06-04-2014, 12:33 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,783,609 times
Do you consider European Spanish people Hispanic? I am not sure about the term abroad.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:48 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,161,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Do you consider European Spanish people Hispanic? I am not sure about the term abroad.
This should be interesting. I'm considered Hispanic here despite being 97% European heritage lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePercenter View Post
Sounds like a lot of White supremacist rhetoric to me. The Mexicans or Hispanics that walk around claiming to be White are in the minority, as I've stated I have never heard a Mexican person state that they are White. In fact, the only time I see a correlation between the two are on applications in the race and ethnicity fields (Which I never fill out) that are made and constructed by White people, of whom I refuse to allow to define me.
Same here. Even though I am just barely 100% European, I only call myself white when speaking to Anglos. In Spanish, I always refer to myself to my place of birth (PR), not my heritage, and always refer to myself as puertorriqueño when talking to Spaniards and other Latinos.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:49 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,882,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
The term is one created by the U.S. government to help them classify a broad group of people (Latin Americans, mostly) on the census. The only people who historically classify themselves as 'Hispanic' are the 'hispanos' of New Mexico...people who can trace back their ancestries to when those lands were Nueva España.

The correct traditional term used throughout Latin America and Europe for Spanish speaking people is 'hispanoparlante'. No one in those countries calls themselves 'hispano/hispanic'. At most they will say 'Latino', but their identities are more closely aligned to their geography than their language (South American, European etc.,)

Old 06-04-2014, 12:59 PM

7,558 posts, read 2,428,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Oh,, believe me, I get that surprised, puzzled reaction all the time. I tell them I'm from Puerto Rico, and the next thing is always, "No way, I thought you were white!"
Some people get confused with my husband too. He's been told that he's "so white" and been told by other Hispanics that he doesn't look Hispanic. Some people he looks Asian/White...as if both groups haven't settled in South America. He's mestizo anyway...

Old 06-04-2014, 02:39 PM

9,845 posts, read 22,175,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Then most Mexicans (and Central Americans/Peruvians/Bolivans) should be able to mark both 'White' and 'Native American'. Most don't though, since under Native American they ask you to designate a certain tribe, and a good majority of Latin American people have no idea what tribes/origins their indigenous blood (for that matter, what part of Spain/Europe, their European blood is from), and those that do know (because they are ethnically Mayan, Zapotec, Mexica etc) don't have such options. When the option is there, they usually just check 'Other'.
My wife marked White and Native American, didn't specify a tribe. She's a mestiza Colombian. The Census is far from perfect...if I remember correctly there was a place where you could specify your national origin too if you desired. I suspect those who put together the census still don't quite know what to make of Latinos.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:02 AM

4,370 posts, read 5,141,532 times
In America, race is generally classified by how you look, and more to some degree where you're from. The "where you're from" to marginalize Irish and Scottish immigrants. The "what you look like" aspect was really to marginalize blacks. Asians could easily be introduced into the system since they fall into the "what you look like" category. However, when it comes down to latinos who have their own racial classifications in their source countries, things start to break apart. I can't see America ever adopting a system like latin America's, and most Americans won't really buy into it. Imagine if I'm black, and my wife is latin, but we have a light skinned daughter, then all of a sudden she's "white"? I can always see the s- storm coming from that. Basically in America, race just isn't something people think that deep about. It's basically going to come down to one glance. If you don't look like anything at a glance, people will just call you mixed. In my opinion, America is moreso a classist society than a racial society. Classism is becoming the reality in America, and who is and isn't considered white has become a lot less important. While there has historically been white privilege, we are seeing that privilege be exteded to anyone. This is a country where black people from the ghetto have become multi millionaire, have went on to start successful businesses, and moved into different class levels.

The distinction in America is between class lines. Lower class people think differently than upper class people. And in most metros these days, you really see more classism than racism with people. Personally I think the whole idea behind hispanics being white will just cause America to officially abandon the whole racial category system, since it clearly doesn't work, and has become useless. At this point, the economy and markets are just too dynamic to really limit people because of race, which is why the system was designed in the first place. When America only had a few industries, this worked, now it really doesn't.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:54 AM

741 posts, read 641,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Basically in America, race just isn't something people think that deep about. It's basically going to come down to one glance.
My experience and observations have been, just the opposite. Race is front and center in people's thoughts ... every day, and in every way.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:09 AM

24,757 posts, read 33,954,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryCarr View Post
she is most likely a Quadroon
Or Octoroon with possibly some Lebanese background?

Chassagne = Hassan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or