U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 07:17 PM

5,214 posts, read 8,037,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Or maybe the Lebanese may have "Frenchified" their names. Lots of Lebanese in the US have done so (Anglicized).

Not saying that happened, just wondering if it were possible.
Or, if there is a Lebanese side, its through the maternal line. Does anyone know what is her maternal last name?

Not that I care, just adding to the discussion. lol

Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,977,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
When does one stop being a member of another nationality and become an American/hyphenated-American. IMO, citizenship is the best technical qualifier ( I'm not sure if she's an American citizen).
I made the distinction only because in the case of Mexican Americans (and, even more pointedly, African Americans), there is a distinct difference between a first-generation immigrant and an established member of an American ethnic group. There is a huge difference between a Kenyan immigrant and an African American, for example.

Technically, the minute you take the citizenship oath, you are as American as I am. But that is a different thing from ethnicity and culture.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:17 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,884,812 times
Quote:
I made the distinction only because in the case of Mexican Americans (and, even more pointedly, African Americans), there is a distinct difference between a first-generation immigrant and an established member of an American ethnic group. There is a huge difference between a Kenyan immigrant and an African American, for example.

Technically, the minute you take the citizenship oath, you are as American as I am. But that is a different thing from ethnicity and culture.
I agree. I am a Mexican immigrant that took an oath when I was 19, and I now hold dual citizenship. I am Mexican and American (though more American than Mexican really), but would never label myself as Chicano. Many people dont understand, but there are cultural nuances between a Chicano, Mexican American and Mexican. Wtv, I guess...end of the day we are all human and people may label themselves as they wish

Old 06-05-2014, 09:12 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,636,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
When does one stop being a member of another nationality and become an American/hyphenated-American. IMO, citizenship is the best technical qualifier ( I'm not sure if she's an American citizen).
I agree. She's Mexican.....and she seems to consider her self that along with her parents heritage. Trying to make some distinction based on how long other people have been in a country seems arbitrary. She's definitely more so than me and I don't even speak Spanish well enough to carry on a decent conversation.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:44 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,767,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
For the UMPTEEN JILLIONTH TIME.... "Hispanic" is not a race. It is a cultural designation. You can be *any* race (including Asian), and be Hispanic.

I can't believe that the Kansas City Star is so ignorant that they don't understand this concept. That's what you get when you let interns write newspaper articles.

20yrsinBranson
Wouldn't asian be a cultural designation as well, instead of race?

Old 06-06-2014, 05:15 AM

1,042 posts, read 1,234,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efree973 View Post
I'm black. However, on all job applications, census' and EEOC forms I have learned to ALWAYS CHECK WHITE.
Because lying is ALWAYS a good idea when trying to land a position ...

Old 06-06-2014, 06:12 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Quote:
I'd say that only about 20-30% of Hispanics in the US are actually White.
I think that's just being way too generous. 20-30% maybe among the Cubans and Chicanos, but not anyone else. By white, I mean Andy Garcia (Cuban) and Robert Rodriguez (Chicaco), or Alejandro García Padilla (Puerto Rico's governor), not Selena Gomez, etc. On another note, one of my friends before he moved away is a Chicano (his ancestors were Spanish colonial settlers in New Mexico), and he looked like an Anglo

Old 06-06-2014, 06:22 AM

7,577 posts, read 2,438,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
My wife marked White and Native American, didn't specify a tribe. She's a mestiza Colombian. The Census is far from perfect...if I remember correctly there was a place where you could specify your national origin too if you desired. I suspect those who put together the census still don't quite know what to make of Latinos.
The census has no real fit for a number of people...there's no national origin for all groups, just certain ones.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:57 AM

9,845 posts, read 22,193,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I agree. She's Mexican.....and she seems to consider her self that along with her parents heritage. Trying to make some distinction based on how long other people have been in a country seems arbitrary. She's definitely more so than me and I don't even speak Spanish well enough to carry on a decent conversation.
Understood it's just a funky situation where she would be called Mexican American, when the African is a much stronger cultural influence. She was only born in Mexico to African parents and lived most of her life in Kenya. I believe she has Mexican and Kenyan citizenship at least according to her wiki, so I guess she would be Mexican-Kenyan.

It's like John McCain was born in Panama but people don't go around calling him a Panamanian American because he didn't grow up there.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 06-06-2014 at 07:08 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 06:58 AM

9,845 posts, read 22,193,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
The census has no real fit for a number of people...there's no national origin for all groups, just certain ones.
Don't recall but I could have sworn there was a spot where if you wanted to you could specify what country your descend from. Maybe only for Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or