U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)
 
5,167 posts, read 8,017,583 times
Reputation: 4264

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
So if they thought a certain way, they'd be rich? Do you have some evidence of this? Click their heels three times, or something like that? How should poor people, or people who continue to see racial injustices and disparities, think?
Thomas Sowell is one of the most respected intellectuals of the USA.



Its almost unbelievable that he was initially a Marxist. Here he is in his younger days:


 
Old 06-10-2014, 02:41 PM
 
1,356 posts, read 1,634,748 times
Reputation: 1035
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Assumptions will always be made based on color. it's more of a question of the impact of such assumptions. In 2014 there is no way many people can honestly say a black person would be denied a job because they are black anymore. 30 years ago thqt was reality but not anymore.
I disagree. Job and housing discrimination still exist. What's different between now and then is that covert discrimination is now taboo. As someone mentioned earlier, it's much more insightful to pay attention to the euphemisms used. Words such as "ghetto" ,"thug", and "illegals" are the new N and S words that signify black and browness. Just even having a "ethnic" or "made up" name is enough to lower your chances of getting housing or employment DESPITE your qualifications.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Obama has a right to designate his race the way he wants. Personally if it were me I would feel I would be slighting my White mom and my grandparents (who were all heavily involved in raising him) by not acknowledging both sides of my heritage. Like a lot of things during his presidency when it comes to his own race Obama has taken the easier more mainstream route instead of advocating for real change.
Obama's taken the route of Color Blindness which ironically hinders racial equity in the US. It wouldn't surprise me if we end up going the same route as Latin America where discussions of institutional racism is taboo since people think it's an individualized thing.
 
Old 06-10-2014, 02:50 PM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,198,481 times
Reputation: 14558
i was thinking about this the other day. (i'm an "anglo white" btw)

hispanics are such a complicated mixture of races and cultures, spread across such a huge area.

To use one example , you have my friend "John Hernandez", an american-born chemical engineer whose parents are from Colombia. His eyes are brown, his skin is a few shades darker than mine, but despite that it never even occured to me that he was hispanic until I found out his last name.

for john, "embracing his whiteness" is totally natural. Racially/genetically he appears to be european like me, and culturally he is indistinguishable from middle-class american whites like me. For him it's kind of ridiculous to suggest that he must choose between "either hispanic or white," when he is clearly both.
 
Old 06-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)
 
5,167 posts, read 8,017,583 times
Reputation: 4264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Obama's taken the route of Color Blindness which ironically hinders racial equity in the US. It wouldn't surprise me if we end up going the same route as Latin America where discussions of institutional racism is taboo since people think it's an individualized thing.
I'm always amazed how many people in the USA think the part in bold is true. Complete ignorance of what really takes place in Latin America.

Its as if many US Americans think that these programs (among many other venues where racism IS publicly discussed!) shown in Latin American television are not real:










Last edited by AntonioR; 06-10-2014 at 03:05 PM..
 
Old 06-10-2014, 03:34 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Obama has a right to designate his race the way he wants. Personally if it were me I would feel I would be slighting my White mom and my grandparents (who were all heavily involved in raising him) by not acknowledging both sides of my heritage. Like a lot of things during his presidency when it comes to his own race Obama has taken the easier more mainstream route instead of advocating for real change.

Based on Obama's autobio his grandparents regarded him as their black grand son. Please remember that he is 53 and not 33 and so would have been treated as a black man in the USA. And apparently his grandfather and his mother wanted him to be prepared for that reality.

Its really only since the mid 90s, in the after glow of the Cosby Show, and a president who demonstrated full comfort around blacks, that the USA can even begin to pretend to be "post racial". Obama would already have been in his 30s.

Plus I have a suspicion that those who raised him wanted him to be psychologically prepared for the fact that not every white person who he encountered was going to see him as "Barry the bright, nice guy".
 
Old 06-10-2014, 03:42 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I'm always amazed how many people in the USA think the part in bold is true. Complete ignorance of what really takes place in Latin America.

Its as if many US Americans think that these programs (among many other venues where racism IS publicly discussed!) shown in Latin American television are not real:










When did all this acknowledgement of racism against blacks in Latin America begin?


ANSWER. It began when various black empowerment groups in Latin America solicited help from the OAS, the Congressional Black Caucus, the US gov't and others. Latin Americans, who hitherto excused the challenges faced by blacks under the excuse that "all poor people in Latin America have problems and that blacks only have issues because they are poor," were embarrassed into doing something.


The OAS has special programs set up to assist Afrodescendants in Latin America. Blacks in the USA and in the Anglo and Franco phone Caribbean are not eligible because they are NOT seen as having suffered the same degree of socio-economic marginalization. Despite the history of racism in the USA, and the fact that the economies of the non Hispanic Caribbean are also poor, blacks in those societies are seen as better off because large numbers have entered the middle class and also the professions and management. The situation in most parts of Latin America is seen as more dire. Lucky for blacks in the DR they are most of the population, at least in Santo Domingo, so its kind of hard to exclude them to the extent that it is possible in Brazil and Colombia where the larger part of the populations are white or mestizo.


In addition the biggest obstacle that these black empowerment groups face are accusations that they bring in US style racism. You can chat with Malaman about that, because he is one who has expressed those views in this very forum.


So I am sorry, but too little too late. Not all of us are as ignorant of Latin America as you might think that we are.
 
Old 06-10-2014, 03:43 PM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,198,481 times
Reputation: 14558
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Its as if many US Americans think that these programs (among many other venues where racism IS publicly discussed!) shown in Latin American television are not real
well yeah .. with some exceptions, americans don't watch TV from latin america. i don't know why that comes as a surprise to you.
 
Old 06-10-2014, 03:52 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I disagree. Job and housing discrimination still exist. What's different between now and then is that covert discrimination is now taboo. As someone mentioned earlier, it's much more insightful to pay attention to the euphemisms used. Words such as "ghetto" ,"thug", and "illegals" are the new N and S words that signify black and browness. Just even having a "ethnic" or "made up" name is enough to lower your chances of getting housing or employment DESPITE your qualifications.




Obama's taken the route of Color Blindness which ironically hinders racial equity in the US. It wouldn't surprise me if we end up going the same route as Latin America where discussions of institutional racism is taboo since people think it's an individualized thing.

You know what. Blacks aren't looking to be loved by whites. PC is good enough because it provides enough opportunities as many blacks in the USA indeed have.

I would much prefer to live in the USA where whites are PC, but where I have opportunities than in the Latin America where the pretend to love me, but think that the best I can be is a cop.
 
Old 06-10-2014, 03:59 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
How you think is a big reason for failure. How you think determines what you'll do.

That is only PARTIALLY true. But don't tell me that some heroin addict is dad is a CEO has fewer options than a poor kid whose mother works two jobs, one just to pay the rent.

So born rich does help out and please don't tell me that all people born into wealth have good attitudes, because I will remind you of a "criminal" whose lawyer coined the phrase "affluenza" to keep the thug out of jail.

Having said that people can over come their circumstances. Its just HARDER on some than it is on others. ADMIT that!
 
Old 06-10-2014, 04:00 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Thomas Sowell is one of the most respected intellectuals of the USA.



Its almost unbelievable that he was initially a Marxist. Here he is in his younger days:




Thomas Sowell is irrelevant and unknown, and in any case if you think that he will be kinder to Latin Americans you will be very wrong.


Why aren't you digging up stats showing all those black Brazilian/Colombian CEOs and other evidence that the fact that they are so "loved" by whites has materially helped their upward mobility.

That will be better than some idiot who sings for his supper and who is a class A Uncle Tom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top