U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 12:14 PM

695 posts, read 736,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Went to Guadeloupe last summer and this is true. Also Guadeloupe also has a lot of Dominicans from the Dominican Republic.

100% of the prostitutes there are Dominican and I am not exxaggerating either. Huge business down there.

Thank god people from Dominica were there because i cannot understand Guadeloupe creole for nothing. The people from Dominican spoke English so it was a life saver.
A good number of the prostitutes on any of the small islands are Dominican lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHtD00lQw7o

the vid's in guadeloupe creole but it's not that hard to understand after awhile. But they do talk funny lol. People from Martinique are way easier to understand IMO

Old 06-14-2014, 12:52 PM

508 posts, read 641,958 times
Default Off topic but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
People from Martinique are way easier to understand IMO
I always see linguist noting in reports that Louisiana Creole is the closest to Haitian Creole. But my ears always tell me otherwise. Martinique folks have a very similar patois to Haitians.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:01 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,847,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
A good number of the prostitutes on any of the small islands are Dominican lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHtD00lQw7o

the vid's in guadeloupe creole but it's not that hard to understand after awhile. But they do talk funny lol. People from Martinique are way easier to understand IMO
Yes I spoke to a women from the Bronx who is from st kitts. One of her parents is Dominican and she said St kitts and the Saint Martin islands had the same issue.

Also she told me at one point Saint Martin banned Dominicans because of it. Don't know how true it is.

Lmao at the video I only understood the beginning and the ending of their sentences lol.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 12 days ago)

5,170 posts, read 8,019,848 times
It is true that many Dominican women are in the prostitution trade not just in the Caribbean, but also in other countries. Along with Brazil, its one of the top "exporters" of prostitutes. For some reason men of all types are willing to pay to sleep with mulatto women, especially the lighter skin types. Probably explains why local prostitutes in many countries find it hard to compete when a place is flooded with Dominican prostitutes and these last ones basically corner the market. A similar situation in happening in countries such as Argentina where most men didn't know how mulatto women look and apparently they are choosing them over the traditional much whiter local women.

Dominican prostitutes probably make up most of few Dominicans that live in Haiti too.

Quote:
On any given Friday night, as you pass the gated nightclubs of the Port-au-Prince suburb of Pétionville, you will hear reggaeton and bachata — musical styles from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic respectively — blasting out into the streets. Inside the gentlemen-only clubs, cross-border commerce is taking place, but the trade is not in music but human flesh. The clients of these clubs — members of Haiti's elite and businessmen both local and foreign — can pay for sex with women from the country on the other side of the island of Hispaniola.
In Postquake Haiti, an Influx of Dominican Prostitutes

Quote:
It's a flow that has existed for some time — Time's Jessica Devarieux says with Haitian customers, a premium is placed on their mixed-race, often lighter-skinned appearances. But observers say it has actually grown since the earthquake.

There is evidence of coercion or deception in these women's employment in Haiti's sex trade. And even for voluntary sex workers, the experience has been difficult, both from economic and security points of view; the woman profiled by Time says she hasn't earned enough money to send much back to her 2 year old son, and she often feels unsafe.
Dominican Prostitutes In Haiti: Prized For Their Light Skin, Patronized By Peacekeepers

I haven't found anything yet on the number of Dominicans (from Dominican Republic) living in Guadeloupe.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:56 PM

102 posts, read 183,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
A lot of people don't even know that she is actually Mexican American. She also has Mexican citizenship and speaks Spanish fluently.

http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.c...TIFF-Party.jpg
This woman is Kenyan.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:02 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
This woman is Kenyan.
She is also Afro-Mexican.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:32 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,950,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
I always see linguist noting in reports that Louisiana Creole is the closest to Haitian Creole. But my ears always tell me otherwise. Martinique folks have a very similar patois to Haitians.
I think it depends on what part of Louisiana you're talking. Some Creole in Louisiana is closer to Cajun French, while some, especially in the areas west and southwest of New Orleans, is much like Haitian Creole.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:34 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,950,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
It is true that many Dominican women are in the
prostitution trade not just in the Caribbean, but also in other countries. Along
with Brazil, its one of the top "exporters" of prostitutes. For some reason men
of all types are willing to pay to sleep with mulatto women, especially the
lighter skin types. Probably explains why local prostitutes in many countries
find it hard to compete when a place is flooded with Dominican prostitutes and
these last ones basically corner the market. A similar situation in happening in
countries such as Argentina where most men didn't know how mulatto women look
and apparently they are choosing them over the traditional much whiter local
women.
Dominican prostitutes probably make up most of few Dominicans that live in
Haiti too.
As long ago as 1985, it had been estimated that there were more than 30,000 Dominican prostitutes in Haiti; I'm sure that number has increased.

It is also true that you can find Dominican prostitutes all over Europe and even a few in Asia.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
As long ago as 1985, it had been estimated that there were more than 30,000 Dominican prostitutes in Haiti; I'm sure that number has increased.

It is also true that you can find Dominican prostitutes all over Europe and even a few in Asia.
I doubt it because after the 2010 earthquake the estimate of the total Dominican colony in Haiti (not just prostitutes) was around 30,000 and then it shrank as people fled the place.

Overall the amount of Dominican prostitutes in the DR is negligible. They make up 1 or 2% of the population. Higher than in most countries, but not quite high enough as to effectively generalize about Dominican women. Having said that, they are preferred by most men and it doesn't matter what color the guy is, social class, or from where. Women with a combination of African body, European face, wavy to straight hair, and an intermediate light brown color with the occasional green or other light color eyes are probably the most in demand because they look the most exotic and attractive. These type of people are present in many countries, the DR simply has a higher percentage because its one of only two countries in the world where more than 70% of the population is heavily black/white mixed with even heavy Amerindian features appearing within the mix from time to time. While in many countries women like this are found in specific areas and are clearly a very small minority, in the DR they are all over the place.

Alright, enough of the off topic. About white Haitians, go on...

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-19-2014 at 11:19 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 08:01 PM

What company does he own? What is his estimated worth?

I'm sure it must be in the billions of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or