U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 06:26 PM

3,437 posts, read 5,509,927 times

Advertisements

I am Brazilian-American, not technically Hispanic but I never felt part of this "Latino" group, whatever that means.

If you are a "Latino", then you must have your own "culture", your own way of doing things, your own TV channels, your own magazines, your own FOX News with obviously only "Latino news" lol.

This mentality essentially defeats the whole purpose of leaving these cultures behind and becoming an American.

I love that interview Charlie Sheen did with some dummy woman from one of these Spanish language channels. Instead of asking him about his life, his accomplishments, the whole interview was about "So your grandpa was from Spain" "So you are a Latino then, right?" "Are you ashamed of being a Latino?" "What do you know about Latino culture?"-"Do you speak Spanish?" - she goes on and on with this Latino BS..

Charlie finally gets fed up with her BS and goes like "Well, I grew up in Malibu, I am a white guy from California

Old 07-09-2014, 07:37 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,392,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post

I love that interview Charlie Sheen did with some dummy woman from one of these Spanish language channels. Instead of asking him about his life, his accomplishments, the whole interview was about "So your grandpa was from Spain" "So you are a Latino then, right?" "Are you ashamed of being a Latino?" "What do you know about Latino culture?"-"Do you speak Spanish?" - she goes on and on with this Latino BS..

Charlie finally gets fed up with her BS and goes like "Well, I grew up in Malibu, I am a white guy from California
They pick on him because he changed his name, so did his dad Martin Sheen(real name Ramon Estevez)

He is real name is Carlos Estevez. His brother is Emilio Estevez, Paula Abdul's ex-husband

Reality was that back in the day Hispanics had to change their names in order to make it in Hollywood. The Sheens regretted changing their names but it's not like they had many options.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,462,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
They pick on him because he changed his name, so did his dad Martin Sheen(real name Ramon Estevez)

He is real name is Carlos Estevez. His brother is Emilio Estevez, Paula Abdul's ex-husband

Reality was that back in the day Hispanics had to change their names in order to make it in Hollywood. The Sheens regretted changing their names but it's not like they had many options.
They can still change it back. I highly doubt they would have faced racial discrimination in Hollywood. They definitely look more Irish than someone who has a stereotypically Spanish look to them. I highly doubt they would have been pigeon-holed to stereotypical Hispanic acting roles in Hollywood.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:48 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,763,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post

I don't think people realize how much racism there was in this country towards Latin Americans and Latinos born in the U.S.

It didn't even matter what you looked like, if you had a Hispanic sounding name, you were likely to be a victim.

I know stories passed down to me from my grandpa, father and mother. Horrible things. Luckily they were very strong willed people and never let it define them or get to them.

Alot of the newer Latin American immigrants came when things were alot better.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:01 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,392,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
They can still change it back. I highly doubt they would have faced racial discrimination in Hollywood. They definitely look more Irish than someone who has a stereotypically Spanish look to them. I highly doubt they would have been pigeon-holed to stereotypical Hispanic acting roles in Hollywood.
Celebrities don't change their names, their names are already a brand once they are famous. They don't even change their names when they get married. The only exceptions are media hungry celebrities who want to change it to something really "cool" like J Lo, Ƭ̵̬̊ and P. Diddy.

Back in the day, it was extremely common for actors and singers to have stage names. Even a name like "Norma Jean" was not good enough to please producers. Having a Spanish last name especially when you could pass as "John Smith" was unthinkable. They needed names 'mericans could pronounce.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:27 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,628,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePercenter View Post
It's funny this subject came up. I was just speaking with somone who is Mexican a few days ago and asked her if she considered herself to be White...She look at me like I had two heads and responded..."No?..I'm Mexican". I never met a mexican person who said they were White...ever.

No one in Europe, either.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:23 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efree973 View Post
I'm black. However, on all job applications, census' and EEOC forms I have learned to ALWAYS CHECK WHITE.
You are shortchanging yourself.

If they really want to hire a white person, which is rare in the U.S., to really want that, than checking white will do nothing for you.

But, generally, most companies in the U.S. go through 'diversity training', and implement quota type systems, where they really DO try to hire a certain percentage of minorities, blacks, women, etc.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:54 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,927,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You are shortchanging yourself.

If they really want to hire a white person, which is rare in the U.S., , etc.

You could NOT be serious. Whites in general, and white MEN in particular have a much easier time in the employment pool than do non whites and blacks have the hardest time, and this applies EQUALLY to native and immigrant blacks.

Are you consuming some sort of narcotics? The people who hire are whites, and it is an established fact that people hire people like themselves.

As to diversity? Smoke screen to allow companies which (intentionally or not) practice institutional racism to protect themselves from law suits. In NYC over 50% of the private companies have NO black employees, in a city where just under 1/4 are black. I know this is better than Sao Paulo, but still not good enough.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:05 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You could NOT be serious. Whites in general, and white MEN in particular have a much easier time in the employment pool than do non whites and blacks have the hardest time, and this applies EQUALLY to native and immigrant blacks.

Are you consuming some sort of narcotics? The people who hire are whites, and it is an established fact that people hire people like themselves.

As to diversity? Smoke screen to allow companies which (intentionally or not) practice institutional racism to protect themselves from law suits. In NYC over 50% of the private companies have NO black employees, in a city where just under 1/4 are black. I know this is better than Sao Paulo, but still not good enough.
You can't cut off half of my sentence, and make an unrelated comment out of context.

You have to refute the FULL sentence, which states that if a person checks white, but isn't white, and if someone is very determined to hire only white, than checking that box as white won't get him the job.

That's what it was intended to say. Maybe I didn't articulate it as well, but that was the spirit of the message.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:49 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,927,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You can't cut off half of my sentence, and make an unrelated comment out of context.

You have to refute the FULL sentence, which states that if a person checks white, but isn't white, and if someone is very determined to hire only white, than checking that box as white won't get him the job.

That's what it was intended to say. Maybe I didn't articulate it as well, but that was the spirit of the message.

I read the full sentence. One shouldn't check a white box if one doesn't identify white because it is dishonest, and the employer will eventually see the person who attempts to do this. That is all that needed to be said.

But you gave the impression that some how no one wants to hire whites and that non whites are guaranteed jobs through quotas. Well aside from the fact that this is not true it is ILLEGAL. The most one can do is outreach and "best efforts", and most often the excuse is "we can't find any".

1. White MEN, white women, Asians (US born and/or acculturated), Hispanics (light skinned and US born), and Blacks (Ivy League). That is the order of preference in hiring in Corporate America. All others needn't bother.

2. Diversity training is just a smoke screen to hide this. It also protects them against law suit from aggrieved minority employees and others. Most managers scoff at the whole thing, and then hire people like them, unless the black person is seen as exceptional.

3. Quotas are NOT a factor in the employment markets and are NO LONGER a factor in college admissions.

You remind me of the Wall Street Journal writer who wanted to interview me about affirmative action in corporate America. I guess because I have an Ivy League MBA. My response was fine if he wanted to talk about the de facto affirmative action which white males enjoy. He wanted to find some guilty Negro upset that he was hired unfairly. Guess he never found any as I never saw that article printed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or