U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:03 PM

6,566 posts, read 9,080,964 times

Advertisements

Anyone heard about this?

Quote:
Over time, a large number of Latinos have changed their minds about what race they belong to and have decided that they are white.

Are Hispanics in danger of becoming white? - KansasCity.com

Old 06-02-2014, 09:11 PM

6,566 posts, read 9,080,964 times
I see nothing wrong with this if these Hispanics are actually white like actors Andy Garcia and Rita Moreno. I hope this isn't coming from those that look like George Lopez or Rosie Perez.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:20 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,476,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I see nothing wrong with this if these Hispanics are actually white like actors Andy Garcia and Rita Moreno. I hope this isn't coming from those that look like George Lopez or Rosie Perez.
Given the racial diversity of Hispanics, it would be very narrow-minded to lump them all as being White.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:27 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,481,280 times
I am a Mexican American with dark brown hair, light skin, cacausian features and i am taller than most White Americans. I put White on the census. But i don't really feel white like white american though. I don't feel like i belong. I feel in between my Mexican heritage and my American nationality. My future kids will probably become full fledge Americans. I do have indigenous ancestry though. But i feel like putting "Mestizo" and "Castizo" is just going to complicate things. Most Latin Americans are very mixed so it will just cause the census to more complex. I say if you look "White" then you put white, "Indigenous" then you put indigenous. If you look like a very mixed individual that is neither here nor there, then you should put 2 OR MORE RACES.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:03 PM

44 posts, read 99,403 times
I'm black. However, on all job applications, census' and EEOC forms I have learned to ALWAYS CHECK WHITE.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
It's also not surprising that the article said that Blacks and Asians are the least likely to adopt a new race characterization for the census report. It's probably because Blacks and Asians look the least White/European in appearance and therefore will have the most difficult time trying to pass as White unless they are of mixed-raced descent.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efree973 View Post
I'm black. However, on all job applications, census' and EEOC forms I have learned to ALWAYS CHECK WHITE.
Until you are called in for job interview and they find out that you are actually Black.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:12 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,155,042 times
With the way the country is going it would be better to stay hispanic.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:16 PM

535 posts, read 714,005 times
It's by design. They don't have a Mestizo column and granted Latinos in the USA are very diverse racially, the majority fall within this category. However, within a generation Jose with his black hair and tanned skin who today is confused as the "gardener" will be considered just as American and white as officer Griffin off the Andy Griffin show. The definition of white is is continually expanding. I wouldn't be surprised if within a couple hundred years, there will be only two racial categories.. White would encompass people with complexions and physical traits that would resemble white as defined by today's standards, and peoples with Mestizo, Native American, Asian and maybe even blk/white Mulatto characteristics, and the other category would just be Black. lol

Old 06-02-2014, 11:28 PM

5,224 posts, read 8,043,251 times
Once upon a time Jews were not considered white, today they are. Same happened with Italians and I think with the Irish too, as hard as that is to believe.

I'm willing to bet the white floor might be dropped again, swooping a few Hispanics into the category.

During the George Zimmerman ordeal there was some talk about something similar to this (America’s future racial makeup: Will today’s Hispanics be tomorrow’s whites?).

Also, in the 2010 census of the 42,435,002 Hispanics that were counted, 56% already are white. Of these, 62% are Mexicans, 9% are Puerto Ricans, 7% are South American, 6% are Cubans, 2.4% are Salvadorans, 2% are Dominicans, and 2% are Guatemalan whites.
(http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-04.pdf)

Personally I see a lowering of the white floor and of the black ceiling. The result will be that many Hispanic near-whites will become just white and many of the mulattoes will be, well, mulattoes or mixed people. They might even separate Hispanic mixed from non-Hispanic mixed. I guess time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or