Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 11:48 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,361,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePercenter View Post
It's funny this subject came up. I was just speaking with somone who is Mexican a few days ago and asked her if she considered herself to be White...She look at me like I had two heads and responded..."No?..I'm Mexican". I never met a mexican person who said they were White...ever.
She probably associates being white with being Anglo and she sounds like she doesn't understand the distinction between race and nationality/culture. Mexican is her nationality/culture not her actual race. People need to expand their view of whiteness beyond Anglos. From what I've seen the Mexican gov't seems to be largely made up of white Mexicans.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:52 PM

40 posts, read 92,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
She probably associates being white with being Anglo and she sounds like she doesn't understand the distinction between race and nationality/culture. Mexican is her nationality/culture not her actual race. People need to expand their view of whiteness beyond Anglos. From what I've seen the Mexican gov't seems to be largely made up of white Mexicans.
Or your definition of Whiteness is too broad. Mexicans or Hispanics are mixed race people. They are mostly mixed with Native American and Spanish (White). So by American standards, if they were to claim one race, it would be Native American not White. It sounds like you're trying a little too hard, but you're free to believe whatever you wish. As I said, I don't know a single Mexican who claims to be White and they damn sure don't look White.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:56 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Ethnicity is the culture one belongs to. Race is a construct that's used in the America's to create social hierarchies and historically being "white" does consist of people of anglo descent. Race has no scientific basis outside of the less than .0001% that makes up differences in facial structures.

And you shouldn't be surprised to find that their government is made of up people whose phenotype give off the impression of being of Spanish descent. Latinos of Spanish(or Portuguese if we're talking Brazil) are at the top of the social hierarchy. Most Latinos are of mixed heritage between Spanish(Portuguese), Native, and African.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:07 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
They learned from the "blacks"
If your statement is true than who did the Blacks learn that from?

Old 06-03-2014, 03:01 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,010 times
Even though i put white on the census. I don't really go around calling myself white. I am an American, racially caucasian and ethnically hispanic/latino. When i think of White people in the United States, i think of Northern European Americans. Like you can see here with some members and in stormfront, alot of people think that Northern Europeans are true "white" even though we are all white put we came in different shades. So i don't really bother to associate myself with those people. Hispanics encompass all races anyways, and i for sure know that i have more similarities with indigenous hispanics and black hispanics than with that certain group of racist whites.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:03 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,031 times
Latin/Hispanic American people, like any mixed/neo race group has a lot against them. The way I see things, they are real "Americans" ( like people of African decent ), but the big difference between them along with Portuguese, they have something to fall back on. Of course I am talking about Europe. Between the three worlds ( Europe, South America ( which I am includng Central Americas, and the West Indies ) , and North America they have plenty of areas to fall back on. Which makes the Latin American group extremely important. However I am basing this off products and services that are unique, Just as anybody else in this world.

In terms of whiteness, it is all about the foundation of culture and society. It varies from area to area of the world. Right now their is this whole, "White-Spanish and Black-Spanish" bit going on, right now. Basically because of brainwashing from our grandfathers time, because it was a huge problem with segregation, when we had the Jim Crow laws. Another thing to consider is the mass genocide and anti-negroism, that was occurring in South America, back before 2010.

( a though just popped out of my head )

Short answer, is because of Bush Administration, joining the unholy-zionist war on Arabic people. The problem escalated to anybody looking anything close to Oriental is a problem. In fact women of Latin cultures are converting to Islam, to marry certain spouses ( as reported by the news ). A bigger issue was the border crossing problems from 2004 elections. Is their a whitness issue, in America?

Yes, and yes again. I will tell this. My proffessor came from England, he is a typical European British male. Recently hed decided to cut his hair on the sides, to fit in, revealing his greyness. Bottom line even as a white person, he felt he had to fit in. His hair style ( which was like a typical 1960s hair ), was basically normal in Britain, but where he was working, he felt out of place. Another man, who was also white had a big curly Afro, and eventually he did the same thing as the British man, just cut it all off, after feeling uncomfortable, around people. An old woman in the office, was telling me her opinion and how glad he had decided to cut his hair. A black women who came to my highschool, who had a low bald ( executive lesbian type hair ) was telling us this story about a white man with an "ugly Afro", and how they "had to put up with him", due to equal opportunities. Then came in her bald black speaker for the Airlines. The same thing with A woman from Pakistan, who had a curly-fro ( which looked cute ), and decided to part it, in two after not getting enough attention. In my opinion many people in America, especially those with curly ( any kinds of curly ), hair feels threatened. Now with an Latin professor, she had her hair dyed red, which made her stood out like an Texan westerner, but when she went her relatives funeral, she had dyed her hair to black, and made it short looking. So the bottom-line many people in the west, especially in America itself feels threatened of not looking white enough. So their is an problem.

Latin/Hispanics just do the hair, and give it that look, otherwise they cut it low to the skin, just like an African related person who feels threathened. We call it looking neat, but it really called looking white. I wish it was like the 1970's at least, with hair at least. But apparently unlike the 1990's where a woman could have a decent curly looking hair with bounce, it is all straighten, lifeless, and boring. Basically the idea from 2001-2010, that black is not cool anymore?

Mexicans were not considered white at all, they were put through all kinds of hardships no different then black people. It is just that unique "exotic" look is the reason why everybody was being so friendly with them, at that point in time. The same could be said about Oriental based people. Why do you think their are groups of "Latin Jews". Back then, you could be any race group, and hide it, in favor of being considered the same. Ever heard of the Zoot suit riots?? The same usually meant being the armed forces, with your hair cut down like straw, or that unnatural hair. That is a man because he is bald, and that is a woman because she have hair on her head and wears a dress.

America has anti-non-European problem bascially, and it is catching into the Latin communities as well. Basically hate being brought back to life, according to the gold standard. Just hate on top of hate, on top of hate.

I just wish people would ignore these things, and give everybody a chance. You know? You have people out their who barely have any experience at all, but they are never given the chance. Personally having my skin a different shade of color, without my natural hair, I get looks of negative responses. I even tried putting on a wig, to see how people would react, and I am right. People are living in a space of limited imagination, and can not think outside of captialism, or peace. In fact the reason why nobody at work does not get mad, is because of the money.

If their was no money involved, life would be like an unsegregated public schools. Once you get to that level of money, everybody is white washed. However you see the hate brimming in peoples attitudes and beliefs. A bunch of beggars, who are too tied and to confused to fight for what is right.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:02 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,031 times
You have to understand, these places are known for their exotic race groups, which in a nutshell would be considered West Indian, as the Birth Certificate says. It is only 1960's American commercialization, of fight the power, lunancy that brought down the image of the West Indies/Central American region. It damaged many people lives basically. If United States had drop the "anti-society commercial crap, of the 1980's" using non-European gang members, as examples of offenders, future people would have been different. Otherwise the US is stuck with the negativity.

Yeah that documentary is a real shot in the arm, and it is not the "White thing either".

Old 06-03-2014, 04:20 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
How are we joking? You are not reading are you?

Those would be indigenous people, native to the Americas. Going by the source and what the picture shows, it is obvious you specifically chose this picture to make them look bad.
Indigenous people can be hispanic too.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:44 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,361,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePercenter View Post
Or your definition of Whiteness is too broad. Mexicans or Hispanics are mixed race people. They are mostly mixed with Native American and Spanish (White). So by American standards, if they were to claim one race, it would be Native American not White. It sounds like you're trying a little too hard, but you're free to believe whatever you wish. As I said, I don't know a single Mexican who claims to be White and they damn sure don't look White.
I have no problem acknowledging Mexicans who are actually Indigenous,Mestizo or white. Yes most Mexicans are mixed but at the same time you do have Mexicans who are full blooded Indians/indigenous and those who are more pure white. Like I said the Mexican government is mostly made up of Mexicans who racially lean towards European/white in looks.

This is about white Mexicans even if they or other Mexicans may not call themselves white.

Mexicans of European descent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-03-2014, 08:43 PM

29,511 posts, read 22,630,868 times
Some Hispanics/Latino's are racially white.

I know this one guy from a previous job. He and his family are from El Salvador, but he has light brown hair, blue eyes, very pale skin. Maybe he'd consider himself Latino, but I'd call him a white person.

In my eyes it doesn't matter where a person comes from, if he looks white, then I consider him white. If not, then I don't. Simple.

I mean, look at Charlize Theron. Isn't she technically considered African American? And white South Africans (or anyone white from Africa for that matter), they are still physically white.

I'm not white by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas