Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 02:15 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
But Americans have evolved tremendously,.

And it still has further to go. It is NOT a post racial country as some, especially Millennials love to scream that it is.

So I am going to hold my applause until more progress as made as it encourages some to think that all is good, which it isn't.

Just a few days ago a black man was killed by the cops for selling loose cigarettes. Illegal because it deprives the state of its revenues, but not worthy of a death sentence. Were this an unemployed white man, we know that this wouldn't have happened.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:54 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,903,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
Not at all.

Actually the Jamaican maroons and Surinamese maroons have a connection. Jamaica, Antigua, St. Kitts etc has had 100% African DNA results but I still have not seen the first Haitian to score this on 23andMe or anywhere. Do you have any to cite? Haitians are consistently 10-15% European. This is just indication of how ANGLO societies have been more racially segregated while Haiti has more in common with "Latin America".

So Africans being born in Jamaica makes them less African by DNA than those born on the continent? Being born in Jamaica does not automatically mean you're mixed. As far as culture goes, most Haitians are Catholics and most Jamaicans are Protestants however both countries have African syncretised religions: Haiti has Voudoun, Jamaica has Obeah and Kumina. I've heard Haitians and Jamaicans bad mouth them my whole life.
Haiti IS part of Latin America. French and French Creole are very much so Latin influenced & based. The term Latin America was coined by Napoleon & the French, and Haiti was definitely at the helm of that!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:30 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,903,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Is Latino better? I don't like that Latino word. I personally think we should call ourselves Americans (from the Americas) but US citizens already stole that word and they don't feel like sharing.
USA didn't steal the term "Americans". Many had the option to use America or American in their national titles but they passed up on it and so it's associated with USA. USA gained its independence in 1776.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:47 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Is Latino better? I don't like that Latino word. I personally think we should call ourselves Americans (from the Americas) but US citizens already stole that word and they don't feel like sharing.
Is there any movement in Latin America to eliminate the word 'Americano' when referring to people from the United States?

I go way out of my way to avoid the word 'American/Americano', but the entire 10 months I was down in South America, people seemed to constantly refer to me as the 'Americano' all the time.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is there any movement in Latin America to eliminate the word 'Americano' when referring to people from the United States?

I go way out of my way to avoid the word 'American/Americano', but the entire 10 months I was down in South America, people seemed to constantly refer to me as the 'Americano' all the time.
Well it's better than gringo...

Old 07-22-2014, 09:20 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Well it's better than gringo...
I got that a lot too...gringo or Americano.

An occasional 'Norte Americano' reference as I was living in South America...(which would go another direction...Mexicano=Norte Americano tambien).

I have no problem calling myself 'the person from the United States', but it's often the Latinos themselves that would call me 'Americano'...and then sooner or later, a PC Latino overhears...and then *sigh*.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:33 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I got that a lot too...gringo or Americano.

An occasional 'Norte Americano' reference as I was living in South America...(which would go another direction...Mexicano=Norte Americano tambien).

I have no problem calling myself 'the person from the United States', but it's often the Latinos themselves that would call me 'Americano'...and then sooner or later, a PC Latino overhears...and then *sigh*.
LOL. Just call yourself Americano if you feel more confortable. If a PC Latino overhears you and gives you a hard time, ignore them. Most people will understand if you explain to them that in the US "American" stands for people from the US.

There is more media, more tourism and more people who lived in the US who went back to live in Colombia so many of the younger generations are aware "American" is used for US citizens. They even show "American Idol" in many places. I used to watch it in Colombia.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:50 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
"Estadounidense" is the term preferred by the pc types...

Old 07-22-2014, 02:14 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
"Estadounidense" is the term preferred by the pc types...
That's the Spanish term for it, not the PC term. If you are speaking Spanish, that would be the appropriate way to say it. As for how we Americans sometime incorrectly translate the English form directly to Spanish (American to americano), and how some South Americans get all offended about it - well, that's a different topic. Nonetheless, using the correct Spanish language term (estadounidense) for someone who is a U.S. national, has nothing to do with being PC...it's just speaking Spanish correctly.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:39 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Just call yourself whatever, "American" "estado unidense" "gringo" "white power" anything. Most people are not gonna care.

If you are the argumentative type who likes to make a big deal out of nothing and start arguing about the "correct terminology" I assure you you will meet your match there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas