U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2012, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,108,180 times
Reputation: 4093

Advertisements

They don't want to leave it is their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2012, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,108,180 times
Reputation: 4093
Here is another bit of propaganda, but don't know for which side lol. Won't help relations that's for sure, Argentine David Nalbandian drawing blood of a Brit!


David Nalbandian disqualified from final at Queen's Club - 2012 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 AM
 
3,197 posts, read 3,370,137 times
Reputation: 1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
They don't want to leave it is their home.
The residents of the Indian Ocean atoll of Diago Garcia (spelling) didn't want to leave either. The Brits gave them no choice relocating then to Mauritius to a life of poverty. This was to enable the Americans a base....
Seem to recall a similar fate to the residents of Ocean Island as well in order to mine the phosphate. Home never was a concern when deciding the fate of those folk....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,108,180 times
Reputation: 4093
Ok so what would you do uproot all the people of the Falklands and move them elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 12:15 PM
 
3,197 posts, read 3,370,137 times
Reputation: 1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Ok so what would you do uproot all the people of the Falklands and move them elsewhere?
Already stated my response. But oil and rich fish reserves will serve commercial interests in maintaining a small British population there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 12:30 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,686 posts, read 8,502,109 times
Reputation: 7039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Well. The United Nations has stated over the years that "Self Determination" is the key (see some of my previous posts for links to the U.N. Mandates). Lets see if the result of this makes any difference to the Government of Argentina with regards to the Islands.

As stated in the article the British Government will stand by the wishes of the people, as they have previously and repeatedly stated.

BBC News - Falkland Islands to hold referendum on sovereignty
To the United Nations 'self determination' is a code word for independence or transfer of sovereignty to whatever non-European nation claims them, nothing else counts.

UN decolonization committee eyes PR - Caribbean Business
^ here's another example.
The problem: 95% of Puerto Ricans are opposed to independence. The various small pro-independence parties have trouble maintaining status as officially registered parties due to how few votes they get (they need to get above the 3% threshold to be an official registered party). But yet we have nations like Cuba, Syria, Venezuela, and Bolivia demanding that Puerto Rico become independent. Can't they f--k off and abide by the wishes of the Puerto Rican people who overwhelmingly wish to remain part of the United States either under the current territory status or by becoming the 51st state?

Personally I think this "UN Decolonization Committee" should be abolished. No 'colony' in 2012 is forced to remain a colony ... they do so voluntarily and if they wanted independence (which none of them do) the US, UK, France, the Netherlands, Denmark, etc would help them achieve that goal. These places have freely chosen to remain under their current status.

Several British Overseas Territories are currently pushing the UN to remove them from the list - Gibraltar and Montserrat - as they do not see themselves as colonies and neither does the British government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 03:28 PM
 
497 posts, read 875,199 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
To the United Nations 'self determination' is a code word for independence or transfer of sovereignty to whatever non-European nation claims them, nothing else counts.

UN decolonization committee eyes PR - Caribbean Business
^ here's another example.
The problem: 95% of Puerto Ricans are opposed to independence. The various small pro-independence parties have trouble maintaining status as officially registered parties due to how few votes they get (they need to get above the 3% threshold to be an official registered party). But yet we have nations like Cuba, Syria, Venezuela, and Bolivia demanding that Puerto Rico become independent. Can't they f--k off and abide by the wishes of the Puerto Rican people who overwhelmingly wish to remain part of the United States either under the current territory status or by becoming the 51st state?

Personally I think this "UN Decolonization Committee" should be abolished. No 'colony' in 2012 is forced to remain a colony ... they do so voluntarily and if they wanted independence (which none of them do) the US, UK, France, the Netherlands, Denmark, etc would help them achieve that goal. These places have freely chosen to remain under their current status.

Several British Overseas Territories are currently pushing the UN to remove them from the list - Gibraltar and Montserrat - as they do not see themselves as colonies and neither does the British government.
x2! Some people would LIKE to keep the status quo. Moreover, in the case of the Falklands, the opposition has absolutely no basis and the people themselves want to stay in the same position that they have enjoyed for all of these years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 07:00 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,686 posts, read 8,502,109 times
Reputation: 7039
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
x2! Some people would LIKE to keep the status quo. Moreover, in the case of the Falklands, the opposition has absolutely no basis and the people themselves want to stay in the same position that they have enjoyed for all of these years.
Correct ... however Argentina, the United Nations, and much of Latin America refuse to accept the wishes of the Falkland Islanders. They fail to realize that they are 100% British in culture, identity, language, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top