U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 AM

5,663 posts, read 4,375,337 times

Advertisements

A link to another thread of mine on a similar subject. The non working link in the OP finally works on page 3 post #23.

30 years today. Falklands War.

Incase anyone has noticed that i've done a few 'Falklands' related links and wonder why my brother was in 2 Para and sent to the Falklands in '82, thankfully he came home again.

I'm now a WO2 in the Parachute Regiment. WO2 = (NATO 08, US First Sergeant/Master Sergeant)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM

697 posts, read 1,159,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
A link to another thread of mine on a similar subject. The non working link in the OP finally works on page 3 post #23.

30 years today. Falklands War.

Incase anyone has noticed that i've done a few 'Falklands' related links and wonder why my brother was in 2 Para and sent to the Falklands in '82, thankfully he came home again.

I'm now a WO2 in the Parachute Regiment. WO2 = (NATO 08, US First Sergeant/Master Sergeant)
I watched some of the documentaries recently including one about the Parachute Regiment at Goose Green.

The Paras marched (tabbed) across the islands horrendous terrain carrying the the equivalent of over 10 stone (140 lbs) on their backs and then engaged an enemy that out numbered them three to one. There was little in the way of air support, with the Chinook Helicopters having been destroyed along with Atlantic Conveyor.

The main reason we went on to win, despite the odds was down to the bravery and determination of our armed forces and particuarly the Parachute Regiment.

This BBC documentary about the Parachute Regiment was being made at the time hostilities occurred. Here's part one of episode one.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:16 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,334,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
I watched some of the documentaries recently including one about the Parachute Regiment at Goose Green.

The Paras marched (tabbed) across the islands horrendous terrain carrying the the equivalent of over 10 stone (140 lbs) on their backs and then engaged an enemy that out numbered them three to one. There was little in the way of air support, with the Chinook Helicopters having been destroyed along with Atlantic Conveyor.

The main reason we went on to win, despite the odds was down to the bravery and determination of our armed forces and particuarly the Parachute Regiment.

This BBC documentary about the Parachute Regiment was being made at the time hostilities occurred. Here's part one of episode one.

I think that a lot of it was down to the high quality of the British troops and the poor quality of the Argentinian ones.

The British troops were drawn from our best units. Marines, Paras, Guards, etc.. The Argentinian troops were poorly trained conscripts and were not used to the climate of the Falklands. In an environment where armed vehicles were largely unusable and where neither side had much in the way of air power, the quality of the infantry is what made the difference.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:37 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,579,584 times
When I was in college, one of the elective courses I took was political science.

For the project paper, I chose to examine the Falkland Islands issue and determine who was in the right or wrong. I went way back to when the islands were uninhabited and worked forward to the present day.

To make a long story short, Argentina doesn't have a historical case nor do the residents have any interest in being part of Argentina. Also the colonialism bit falls short because there were no "natives" to conquer and take over.

Later on in the last decade I worked with a lot of young Argentinians in Colorado that came up to work the ski season. To them the Falklands was an irrelevant issue. None of them seem to care.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:59 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Argentina isn't really interested in doing anything more than maintaining an ongoing claim to the territory, so at some time in the future, when the Falklands are in a state of flux, Argentina will have a historical thread of interest that it can refer to. That's probably all they were doing in the 80s, and it got out of hands and zealots took over.

I heard people in Chile talking about the Falklands really belonging to Chile, so the Argentines will have them to deal with, too, if the islands are ever up for grabs.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 PM

311 posts, read 742,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Argentina isn't really interested in doing anything more than maintaining an ongoing claim to the territory, so at some time in the future, when the Falklands are in a state of flux, Argentina will have a historical thread of interest that it can refer to. That's probably all they were doing in the 80s, and it got out of hands and zealots took over.
That would make sense. Another issue that I sometimes hear about is the possibility of oil deposits in that region. I don't know how realistic that is, though.

Incidentally, Jorge Luis Borges referred to the war as "two bald men fighting over a comb."

Quote:
I heard people in Chile talking about the Falklands really belonging to Chile, so the Argentines will have them to deal with, too, if the islands are ever up for grabs.
Argentina and Chile have had at least one other territorial dispute. But they were able to resolve it peacefully.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:11 AM

355 posts, read 1,039,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
Most people in Britain didn't even know where the islands were until 1982 Cocoricoco. The trouble is now that soldiers have died retaking the islands it's impossible for political leaders to negotiate.

As for the islands they tend to Govern themselves, which is fine as far as I am concerned.

Falkland Islands Government - | Falkland Islands Government - Home

In terms of the people of Argentina, I am sure they are very nice people, and nobody wants to have to impose sanctions here. Which is why the EU and Britain haven't imposed them, the last thing we want to do is to see is ordinary Argentinian people lose their jobs and companies in Argentina to be punished due to actions of the current Government.
The US already did away with all preferential trade agreements because lack of payments and brrach of contracts. The US has three or four sues in international courts against Argentina.

iF Argentinians don't want to suffer the consequences, they should abstain themselves of voting Cristinita "Botox" Kirschner and any jaded and corrupt peronista,

Old 05-08-2012, 09:43 AM

243 posts, read 521,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
Mulhall

Most Argentinians don't give a crap about the Falkland, just as most Spanish don't give a crap about Gibraltar (a Tax Haven for Spanish politicians).
I would have to say you are wrong here. Having lived in Argentina for a couple years, I can say that the majority of the people there feel very strongly about the Falkland islands, or as they call them, the Islas Malvinas. To them, the Malvinas are Argentine soil, end of story. Everywhere in Argentina you will find plazas, murals, graffiti, and other memorials to the Malvinas and the soldiers that died in the war. Everywhere you will see graffiti and murals that say "the Malvinas are always Argentine" and things of that nature. I would say that most Argentines feel very strongly about the Malvinas, or at least they feel strongly about having lost soldiers in the war over the Malvinas.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 AM

5,899 posts, read 8,417,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerscotty21 View Post
I would have to say you are wrong here. Having lived in Argentina for a couple years, I can say that the majority of the people there feel very strongly about the Falkland islands, or as they call them, the Islas Malvinas. To them, the Malvinas are Argentine soil, end of story. Everywhere in Argentina you will find plazas, murals, graffiti, and other memorials to the Malvinas and the soldiers that died in the war. Everywhere you will see graffiti and murals that say "the Malvinas are always Argentine" and things of that nature. I would say that most Argentines feel very strongly about the Malvinas, or at least they feel strongly about having lost soldiers in the war over the Malvinas.
I dont think this is true at all. Im argentinian and lived here all my life. But of course i cant speak for ALL argentinians, but i do know argentina is not a patriotic country and most people think this Falklands dispute is a political thing used by politicians to do political things. Nobody is mad at England or whatever. They would be mad if they beat us in the world cup or something, but not about falklands.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 PM

355 posts, read 1,039,271 times
I'm sorry for Argentina and Peronism, they destroyed a country that could be one of the richest countries in the world. Cristinita will have many problems in the future, and she'll need Malvinas, evil gallegos and who knows what else!!!! If Chavez falls, she will have serious problems!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas