U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:49 AM

311 posts, read 742,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
i do know argentina is not a patriotic country and most people think this Falklands dispute is a political thing used by politicians to do political things.
I lived in Argentina as a child, so I'm somewhat familiar with it.

Your statement that Argentina is "not patriotic" reminds me of something. My impression is that there is a general problem of trying to create a common Argentine identity, since historically a lot of Argentines have viewed themselves as displaced Europeans. The claim to the islands is part of this attempt to unify people. Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 10:55 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
If teh Iron Lady movie was accurate, I could not believe how many spineless cowards and traitors in Britain went against Margaret Thatcher when she decided to use force to retake the islands which had British citizens living on them who would be subjugated to a tyrannical dictatorship if Argentina was allowed to annex the islands. Anyone in Britain who backs down on the Falklands is a coward and traitor to his or her country especially with British citizens living there. Argentina has no claim to the isalnds and the Falklands have always been British. They were part of Britain before Argentina even became a country. I know as an American I am biased in favor of the Brits but these are the facts.

Liberalism in Britain has weakened the nation significantly at home and abroad. It was an embarassment that Argentina would even attempt an invasion like that. The spineless liberals will destroy Great Britain if the people do not stand up for their country.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,412,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
I lived in Argentina as a child, so I'm somewhat familiar with it.

Your statement that Argentina is "not patriotic" reminds me of something. My impression is that there is a general problem of trying to create a common Argentine identity, since historically a lot of Argentines have viewed themselves as displaced Europeans. The claim to the islands is part of this attempt to unify people. Does that make sense?
This is OH SO TRUE!!!!

Old 05-11-2012, 02:59 AM

5,663 posts, read 4,373,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
If teh Iron Lady movie was accurate
It wasn't , there were a few dissenters mostly in the opposition party at the time but nothing like the film. The most vocal opponent in the cabinet was John Nott the Secretary of State for Defence. There are several good autobiographies by members of her cabinet at the time that confirm this. These are a few of the best in my order of preference:

Michael Crick, "Michael Heseltine: A Biography".

William Whitelaw, "The Whitelaw Memoirs".

John Nott, "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow: recollections of an errant politician".

Nigel Lawson, "The View from No.11: Memoirs of a Tory Radical".

Old 05-12-2012, 12:39 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,329,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
It wasn't , there were a few dissenters mostly in the opposition party at the time but nothing like the film. The most vocal opponent in the cabinet was John Nott the Secretary of State for Defence. There are several good autobiographies by members of her cabinet at the time that confirm this. These are a few of the best in my order of preference:

Michael Crick, "Michael Heseltine: A Biography".

William Whitelaw, "The Whitelaw Memoirs".

John Nott, "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow: recollections of an errant politician".

Nigel Lawson, "The View from No.11: Memoirs of a Tory Radical".
I remember it well. There was overwhelming support in the country for Thatcher over the Falklands. Of course, had the Conservative government sent a submarine in a timely manner as had the 'spineless liberals' of the prior Labour government in response to previous Argentinian saber rattling then, perhaps, the war might have been avoided.

In addition, had the US government in the form of Jean Kirkpatrick not given tacit support to the Argentinians then they might have lacked the courage to invade. Also, Reagan allowing that idiot Haig to give the Argentinians the idea that they could negotiate didn't help either.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:42 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,539,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I dont think this is true at all. Im argentinian and lived here all my life. But of course i cant speak for ALL argentinians, but i do know argentina is not a patriotic country and most people think this Falklands dispute is a political thing used by politicians to do political things. Nobody is mad at England or whatever. They would be mad if they beat us in the world cup or something, but not about falklands.
That's good to hear. I'm British and have always wanted to visit Argentina, but I thought that I'd run into problems there just because of my nationality. I have nothing against Argentina or Argentinians. I enjoy the football rivalry and I am grateful for Sergio Aguero & Carlos Tevez.

My opionion on the Falklands thing: down to the islanders. If there's oil to be had, how about some sort of joint project between Britain and Argentina to tap into it? Cooperation would be better than war. The two countries should be friends, not enemies.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:54 AM

5,663 posts, read 4,373,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
If there's oil to be had, how about some sort of joint project between Britain and Argentina to tap into it? Cooperation would be better than war. The two countries should be friends, not enemies.
There was. In 2007 the Argentinians walked away from it.
[quote]A 1995 agreement between the UK and Argentina had set the terms for exploitation of offshore resources including oil reserves as geological surveys had shown there might be up to 60 billion barrels (9.5 billion cubic metres) of oil under the seabed surrounding the islands. However, in 2007 Argentina unilaterally withdrew from the agreement.[end quote]

Source: Section #8 'Economy' Falkland Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-12-2012, 10:07 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,539,366 times
[quote=Baldrick;24272961]There was. In 2007 the Argentinians walked away from it.
Quote:
A 1995 agreement between the UK and Argentina had set the terms for exploitation of offshore resources including oil reserves as geological surveys had shown there might be up to 60 billion barrels (9.5 billion cubic metres) of oil under the seabed surrounding the islands. However, in 2007 Argentina unilaterally withdrew from the agreement.[end quote]

Source: Section #8 'Economy' Falkland Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good find. I don't remember seeing that in the news.

It seems to be a tough situation to resolve. Obviously, Argentina isn't interested in only the oil as it appears that the agreement was also hinged on opening up discussions regarding the islands sovereignty.

Ultimately, the islanders themselves should be free to choose their own destiny. They have lived there for several generations and that's their home.

I wish I knew the solution!

Old 05-12-2012, 04:18 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,329,100 times
[quote=dragonborn;24273094]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
There was. In 2007 the Argentinians walked away from it.

Good find. I don't remember seeing that in the news.

It seems to be a tough situation to resolve. Obviously, Argentina isn't interested in only the oil as it appears that the agreement was also hinged on opening up discussions regarding the islands sovereignty.

Ultimately, the islanders themselves should be free to choose their own destiny. They have lived there for several generations and that's their home.

I wish I knew the solution!
The solution is that the islands are British because that is what the inhabitants want.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 PM

7,682 posts, read 8,484,316 times
The thing everyone seems to overlook is that 97%, yes NINETY SEVEN PERCENT of Falkland Islanders are of BRITISH descent and identify with the United Kingdom, the English language, British culture, British everything. They are not Argentinian. The islanders are nearly unanimous in their desire to remain a British overseas territory an Argentina needs to respect that wish and f--k off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas