U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2012, 11:58 AM
 
61 posts, read 56,167 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

The right of self determination is valid for everybody, everywhere. but is not a wildcard to commit crime.

The British do not have the property of the Falklands islands, so the right of self determination do not means that they can dispose over the property.

If were like that, law would be useless. Any country could invade another country, expel the population, put his own citizens, and then claim "right of self determination".

No country would have territory. Anything would be available for grab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2012, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
5,599 posts, read 8,283,981 times
Reputation: 3055
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPsico View Post
The right of self determination is valid for everybody, everywhere. but is not a wildcard to commit crime.

The British do not have the property of the Falklands islands, so the right of self determination do not means that they can dispose over the property.

If were like that, law would be useless. Any country could invade another country, expel the population, put his own citizens, and then claim "right of self determination".

No country would have territory. Anything would be available for grab.
Try and do that to the Falklands then and see what happens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 01:41 PM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,581,819 times
Reputation: 7604
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPsico View Post
The British didn't "came". The British invaded a civilized country, exactly like the nazis invaded France.
Just shows how out of touch with reality you are.

Britain did not "invade a civilized country". When the British settled there, there was absolutely not any "civilized" society. The tiny little farm that was there, the couple of argentine workers murdered their british employers. How civilized. Those murders resulted in the islands being formally recognized as a british territory in lieu of any existing legal system and government in the Falklands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 01:54 PM
 
61 posts, read 56,167 times
Reputation: 26
Argentina had a civilian population, governor, officials, and subordinates on the islands. Also had a jail. The British invaded on 1833, and expelled everybody, except some conscripts who escaped from the jail during the invasion. They fought the British, and were killed.

They didn't had any Argentine employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,337,177 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Try and do that to the Falklands then and see what happens
They tried. They had every logistical advantage as well as more troops. Problem with the Argentinian military ... they are only any good when shooting and torturing unarmed civilians. The British troops showed us that they are all talk but not actually very good at fighting. They are a bit like a certain poster ... all talk.

The Falklands are British because they people who live there want it that way. They do not want to be part of a third world country with a penchant for military dictators and a terrible economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 02:50 PM
 
61 posts, read 56,167 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
They tried. They had every logistical advantage as well as more troops. Problem with the Argentinian military ... they are only any good when shooting and torturing unarmed civilians. The British troops showed us that they are all talk but not actually very good at fighting. They are a bit like a certain poster ... all talk.

The Falklands are British because they people who live there want it that way. They do not want to be part of a third world country with a penchant for military dictators and a terrible economy.
So you run out of arguments, and start mocking, and insulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 02:58 PM
 
5,663 posts, read 4,375,337 times
Reputation: 5614
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPsico View Post
So you run out of arguments, and start mocking, and insulting.
When presented with documented facts you rubbish them and infer that the documents released by the United Nations are the "British side". Show us Factual evidence from globally recognised organisations to support your case then please.

You list dates of occurrences, fair enough. You've also said that Wikipedia is unreliabe, ok... Please list your sources, references and links to appropriate data, so we can read first hand the information that you are giving us. Without us seeing it for ourselves we can only assume what you say is opinion rather than facts.

Prove us wrong, don't just say we are especially as your not willing to accept our evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 03:02 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,337,177 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPsico View Post
So you run out of arguments, and start mocking, and insulting.
Not mocking or insulting. Just telling the truth.

Why would British citizens want to live under a military dictatorship and the 'dirty war'? Do you deny that the Argentine military routinely tortured and murdered civilians?

Why was the Argentine army unable to resist a numerically inferior British force (which was unable to transport most of its heavy equipment) despite the Argentinians being dug in to strong defensive positions and very much closer to their home bases? Why did your navy retreat to its home ports after the Belgrano was sunk? The Royal Navy did not retreat after our ships were hit.

Can you honestly tell us that the Argentinian economy is robust?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 03:06 PM
 
61 posts, read 56,167 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Show us Factual evidence from globally recognised organisations to support your case then please.
Unasur supports Argentine Malvinas and call on UK to resume negotiations

Quote:
Unasur supports Argentine Malvinas and call on UK to resume negotiations

Foreign ministers from the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR) reaffirmed their support for Argentina over the Malvinas Islands sovereignty dispute
Obama Administration Backs Argentina Over U.K. on Falkland Dispute | Fox News

Quote:
Obama Administration Backs Argentina Over U.K. on Falkland Dispute

Read more: Obama Administration Backs Argentina Over U.K. on Falkland Dispute | Fox News
Acercando Naciones » Falklands: OAS supports Argentina’s claim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 03:07 PM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,581,819 times
Reputation: 7604
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPsico View Post
The right of self determination is valid for everybody, everywhere. but is not a wildcard to commit crime.

The British do not have the property of the Falklands islands, so the right of self determination do not means that they can dispose over the property.

If were like that, law would be useless. Any country could invade another country, expel the population, put his own citizens, and then claim "right of self determination".

No country would have territory. Anything would be available for grab.
Gee isn't that what Argentina did back in 1982? And failed. They invaded a truly civilized, peaceful society and try to make it their own by force. There were almost no Argentines living in the Falklands at the time, only Brits. In fact there never have been any Argentines living there, ever, beyond a few you could count on your hands and toes.

I have no doubt if the British had not challenged the invasion that after all the hullabaloo died down, Argentina would have begun to expel British citizens or made it very uncomfortable for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top