Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 05:40 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if people who live, move to, or visit La Paz experience a greater incidence of health issues? It's above the 4K metre mark, and is pretty much sitting at half of plane cruising altitude.

I would think because of the very thin atmosphere, lack of oxygen, and overall compromised filter, that people may be more susceptible to the sun's energy or develop heart problems. Is there any evidence of this, or am I missing something? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Having been there a couple times, and even up higher in Potosi, when I was scouting around for a potential area to ex-pat it some day, I learned that for elderly people, it's more of a hardship/risk when you live past the 6000 foot threshold. And with La Paz, we're looking at 12,500/ 13,500 in El Alto where the Airport is.

Given the hardship the poor can face down there, I did witness, what appeared to be, elderly women, with big sacks of potatoes, scaling those near-vertical cliffs in La Paz. And I had a devil of a time climbing up 3 hilly streets to my hotel, empty-handed!

Once on a flat area, no problems, like walking around El Alto.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
For people unaccustomed to it, the elevation is a serious hardship. Especially if you fly into LaPaz. rather than rising in elevation gradually.

It is not so bad if you rise gradually, I once flew into LaPaz, was miserable all night, and took a van down to Coroico, over the road of death. After two weeks in the much lower Coroico, I took the road back up to LaPaz, and it was much more manageable, but still quite affected by the altitude.

The suns rays are very hot at that altitude. On a 60 degree day (about normal in LaPaz), you will feel hot walking down the street, and notice the drop in temperature as you walk past a utility pole, just in that 2-foot wide swath of shade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas