U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,738,409 times

Advertisements

Guatemala wants in on Belize oil profits. They claim Belize still belongs to Guatemala.

Belize Oil- The Border Dispute - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 10:30 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,185,498 times
When did Belize ever belong to Guatemala?

Old 06-03-2012, 10:35 PM

78,936 posts, read 70,771,627 times
Back before the British took it and named it British Honduras. The state of Chiapas in south Mexico also used to belong to Guatemala at one time. Anyway, maps of Guatemala in Guatemala still show Belize as part of Guate. But if there's oil in Belize, there's probably oil in Guatemala. What a disaster that would be in the hands of a corrupt gov't. And of course, the oil would probably be in the delicate jungle area, it would turn out to be a mess, just like Ecuador's mess that Chevron inherited.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatema...zean_territory

Old 06-04-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Back before the British took it and named it British Honduras. The state of Chiapas in south Mexico also used to belong to Guatemala at one time. Anyway, maps of Guatemala in Guatemala still show Belize as part of Guate. But if there's oil in Belize, there's probably oil in Guatemala. What a disaster that would be in the hands of a corrupt gov't. And of course, the oil would probably be in the delicate jungle area, it would turn out to be a mess, just like Ecuador's mess that Chevron inherited.
Belizean-Guatemalan territorial dispute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Had no idea of that. I remember the British had to give up the Bay Islands of Honduras, and the Caribbean Coast of Nicaragua because of certain treaties. I think they were able to keep Belize in giving up those possessions.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:55 PM

78,936 posts, read 70,771,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
Had no idea of that. I remember the British had to give up the Bay Islands of Honduras, and the Caribbean Coast of Nicaragua because of certain treaties. I think they were able to keep Belize in giving up those possessions.
Oh. That explains why even the Natives of the Bay Islands speak English fluently as well as Spanish. The Bay Islands used to be beautiful. The entire area has been trashed now, first by the Contra war, and now by the war against drugs. So sad.

(Pardon my digression.)

Old 06-05-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Oh. That explains why even the Natives of the Bay Islands speak English fluently as well as Spanish. The Bay Islands used to be beautiful. The entire area has been trashed now, first by the Contra war, and now by the war against drugs. So sad.

(Pardon my digression.)
No problem, everything is cool. :-) Pretty much. They were unofficially under British rule from 1830 to about 1855. Many people from the Cayman Islands and a few from Belize, my country, migrated to the Bay Islands during this time. Even when Honduras gained controlled of the Bay Islands, they hardly messed with affairs until the mid 20th century. Many Bay Islanders would travel to the Caymans and Belize to trade for goods. Also, many schools taught exclusively in English until the mid 20th century as well and many islanders saw themselves as "British subjects" even though they were Honduran.

I have several family members that have been to the Bay Islands, never been myself. Which islands did you go to?

Last edited by Beliciano; 06-05-2012 at 12:27 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 11:28 PM

706 posts, read 1,810,774 times
The United Provinces of Central American attained their independence from Spain in the 1830s, but power struggles for various provinces allowed the British to stake a formal claim in British Honduras in 1862, based on settlements along the coast that had been established by British pirates. The British enforced that piracy-based claim from then until Belize formed an independent nation a hundred years later.

So from the viewpoint of Guatemala, the entire coast was a part of Spanish territory that was liberated in the independence movement south of Mexico some 30 years before the British made any claims, that were illegal right from the start.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:29 AM

111 posts, read 199,034 times
Not to worry. Belize will remain Belize and Guatemala's claims have no validity. What's done is done. The last time I was there, the BDF sent two Harrier's to the border due west of Punta Gorda to enforce the territory. There have been incursions, but nothing serious to worry about.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:02 PM

7,684 posts, read 8,497,681 times
Guatemala has been rambling about this for decades. Over 30 years after independence there are still British troops in Belize although the deployment size has been significantly reduced in recent years to little more than a training/support unit.

Nothing will come of this. In 20 years they will still be claiming Belize and having Guatemalan Army units 'accidentally' get lost and cross the border.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:38 PM

304 posts, read 888,634 times
Quote:

(Pardon my digression.)
Where do you get this stuff? The Bay Islands are anything but trashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas