U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:18 PM

5,454 posts, read 8,134,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryopus View Post
People's Republic of China - 1.3 billion people
Republic of India - 1.2 billion people
United States of America - 310 million people
Federative Republic of Brazil - 200 million people

Brazil just doesn't have the population to replace the U.S. while China and India do.
Brazil is at the full extent a Global Great Power (just like U.K. and France) or a Latin America Regional Superpower.
With U.K. and France declining, Brazil can certainly take over their positions, but it certainly can't replace the U.S.
I'm sure people said the same thing when the US was a rising power. How could the USA ever replace the almighty British Empire with its never setting sun?

Funny how things turns out...

I'm not saying Brazil will replace the USA, just that I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 10:39 PM

758 posts, read 1,969,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I'm sure people said the same thing when the US was a rising power. How could the USA ever replace the almighty British Empire with its never setting sun?

Funny how things turns out...

I'm not saying Brazil will replace the USA, just that I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
Actually the US became a global economic force concurrently with the growth of the British empire (If we use the 19th century, as the real turning point for the British Empire, as historical context). Look up the First Barbary Wars in 1805. The US were already protecting their economic interests abroad contemporary of the advancing British Empire. In 1823 the United States established the Monroe Doctrine, effectively giving it hegemony in the Western Hemisphere. While the United States was still an agrarian nation in it's birth, it quickly industrialized.

People knew from the start the US was a pretty big deal. Oldest continuous democracy, no coups, no kings, no military juntas, no invasions, no monarchs of any type... to this day (Some teapartier will insert their ad nauseum comment about Obama here). There's a reason why France and England constantly allied themselves with the US and considered the alliances important.

So back to the OP's question: No, Brazil will not be the US of the 21st century. It's military power is negligible and it's not really exercising a whole lot of political influence in the region (save maybe a couple of looney dictators here and there). It continues to overvalue it's currency and is not fully vested in free foreign trade the way other countries in the region are (Mexico, Peru, Colombia), taxes are absolutely out of control, and Brazilian corruption levels would make Chicago politics look like Norway.

My father actually put it this way, and it was a really smart way to think about it. The difference between US and Latin American countries is this: The US likes to screw other nations and help each other out. LatinAmericans like to screw each other, and have no real interest in uniting to screw another nation. Rudimentary, but not entirely inaccurate.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 PM

758 posts, read 1,969,026 times
I should follow that by saying that I don't think it's BAD or GOOD that Brazil isn't or won't ever be at the same level as the US. What's really important is providing a good lifestyle for it's citizens and making sure that all Brazilians have opportunities to follow their dreams, not some national pride or patriotism to make Brazil better than the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas