U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:59 AM

355 posts, read 1,039,271 times

Advertisements

But Brazil and China will peter out in a short time. You can't have such a gross inequality in a modern economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:02 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,180,679 times
No, Brazil has a long ways to go before it reaches US status. The next country to join the ranks of developed nations is Chile, not Brazil, and they will do so this decade. Chile has a much smaller economy than Brazil, but higher HDI. Something to think about. I think Russia would be a developed nation before Brazil would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
Mañana it's spanish, not portuguese.
In portuguese it's amanhã.
The Ñ it's a spanish letter that doesn't exist in portuguese.
It's manhã the letter doesn't exist, but the same sound does as nh.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:23 AM

314 posts, read 969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

It's manhã the letter doesn't exist, but the same sound does as nh.
What I learned was that manhã means morning, amanhã means tomorrow. The expression "mañana mañana" means make the things days after.

Maybe depends on the region or is a colloquialism.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 AM

6,618 posts, read 10,679,859 times
No.

However, countries of early industrialization are in relative decline, while the newly industrializing countries are in relative ascent. We will all approach each other somewhere in a mediocre middle, analogous to the ancient agriculture-based empires that succeeded one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
You can't have such a gross inequality in a modern economy.

It's not that gross anymore and, on that basis, it is possible if the global consumer base is big enough, at least for a while, and we live in a series of short-runs, not the long-run in which we are all dead.

Which do you prefer, sell a gadget at $1 apiece to 100M customers at relatively higher average fixed costs, or sell a gadget at $0.50 apiece, even $0.25 apiece, to 3Bn customers at relatively lower average fixed costs?

Do the math.

Not even the US will be the next US.

In the 21st Century, Brazil will be the next Brazil will be the next Russia will be the next China will be the next India will be the next EU, will be the next USA, and they will all be also-rans, like everybody else.

To the OP, if you, Antonio84, in the fleeting flower of your youth, are thinking of starting a career or setting up a business in Brazil, do it because you have particular competitive advantages in Brazil in the context of the global environment, not because of some hunch that Brazil in general may be a special winner in the globalization of industrialization, because, though sometimes it is true that all boats rise with the tide, it may also be true that without special skills and particular competitive advantages, even you could be a loser in the most relatively prosperous environment.

Case in point, I've done relatively well at sucking in revenues from a country of early industrialization that for at least two decades now has been in relatively sick and sad decline.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 05-15-2012 at 05:35 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 05:33 AM

1,567 posts, read 2,083,160 times
no

Old 05-15-2012, 10:27 AM

2,386 posts, read 5,454,622 times
Honestly, I just hope Brazil stays Brazil but much more economically stable and improving (if that makes sense). I wouldn't want another "U.S." of the world, another country competing for world power and leadership in every facet. I love the culture of Brazil and wouldn't want to see that make a total face lift.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:39 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,421,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Brazil is cheaper...
Don't include Rio in that though, it is super expensive there. Yes, maid service is cheaper there, but restsurants, clothes, shoes, electronics, appliances, beer, etc are all more expensive.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 17 days ago)

5,202 posts, read 8,035,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Plus, most jobs in Brazil are very low pay. If you have any money at all, you can easily get maids for just a couple hundred dollars a month. That is inconceivable in the U.S., but the norm in Brazil. Meaning that while some people's jobs and incomes are getting better in Brazil, there are a ton of people still doing some extremely hard work for very little pay, which is the norm there.
With the rapid growth of the middle class, it must mean that wages are going up and inequality going down. Its as if Brazil is the U.S. of the early 20th century, when inequality was excessively high and then a period of rapid economic growth, income growth, and middle class growth created a more prosperous and equal society.

That's what the data is showing:

From Poverty to Power by Duncan Green » Blog Archive » Brazil’s boom; Africa’s pentecostals; food fears and more reasons to invest in health: highlights from this week’s Economist

Anyways, here are a few additional videos I found:

Brazil's Rising Middle Class

Brazil's Rising Star

Old 05-16-2012, 01:48 AM

195 posts, read 559,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
But Brazil and China will peter out in a short time. You can't have such a gross inequality in a modern economy.
I agree with that sentiment, but I feel like Brazil is going to have an easier time slimming down that disparity than China.

China has more people in poverty than we have people, plus they've got a disastrous situation with the aging population coming up, and not enough young people to take care of them (thanks alot one child policy).

Brazil's sexy, it's got the landscape, the culture, the resources, and I think South America is ready to produce a genuine economic power.

It is still a far ways off though. It's not gonna be tomorrow. Maybe in like 20 years though.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:30 AM

4,454 posts, read 5,745,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake County IN View Post
I agree with that sentiment, but I feel like Brazil is going to have an easier time slimming down that disparity than China.

China has more people in poverty than we have people, plus they've got a disastrous situation with the aging population coming up, and not enough young people to take care of them (thanks alot one child policy).

Brazil's sexy, it's got the landscape, the culture, the resources, and I think South America is ready to produce a genuine economic power.

It is still a far ways off though. It's not gonna be tomorrow. Maybe in like 20 years though.
Well China economy is slowing yet it is now the nation with the worlds biggest consumers and the worlds biggest exporters. Brazil biggest market is now China too. It is hard to say yet on the eastern part of China is taking its boom and many of the inland areas are still undeveloped. It population is gradually changing from an mostly rural population to an urban population and there are winners and losers to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas