U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:40 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,395,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Wow--never knew that.

Ah--the airport, I see now. Totally went over my head. Too tired when I am on here at times.
Like BSB for Brasilia. Though some say DF as well.

Gostei "POA," entao.
It isnt even about the airport. People from there say POA, like people from Los Angeles use LA. Im not going to even attempt that sentence in portuguese.

Eh legal ciudade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 09:51 PM

48,217 posts, read 45,506,708 times
Will Brazil become the USA of the 21st century? Well, this is the way that I look at it. Brazil has been a place where people have immigrated. It has been that way since the late 19th to 20th centuries. People went to the Brazil for the same reason immigrants went to the USA. People were looking for a new start, land, opportunities. Today, some people are perceiving Brazil in the same way.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:37 PM

13,588 posts, read 22,040,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It isnt even about the airport. People from there say POA, like people from Los Angeles use LA. Im not going to even attempt that sentence in portuguese.

Eh legal ciudade.

Perhaps--but unlike "LA" and Los Angeles, "POA" are the letters for the Porto Alegre airport.

Sim...POA eh uma cidade legal!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:10 PM

48,217 posts, read 45,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Recently there has been quite a bit of attention focusing on not just the economic crisis in the US-Europe, but also on the consequences this is having on many levels. Brazil, on the other hand, is experiencing a prosperous and stable economy with a fast expanding middle class (contrary to previous growth of the middle class, now the people moving up tend to be a little darker than before as well), new job opportunities and now an immigration crisis in its infancy.

This very much reminds me of what I've read about the USA in the early to mid-20th Century with European immigration, and then in the latter half of the same century with Latin American immigration. Now both are pretty much a thing of the past, at least as far as illegal flows are concerned. In fact, illegal immigration flow at the Mexican-American border is now at record lows.

Here are a few videos regarding the new immigrant paradise that Brazil is becoming and I would like to know what do you think about this.

Is Brazil becoming the USA of the 21st Century?

Is the American dream being replaced by a new and much more promising Brazilian dream?

Brazil Economic Boom

Brazil: A new magnet for European immigrants

Portuguese are fleeing to Brazil

Brazil's millionaires increasing in numbers

Its not worth it to stay in the USA anymore

People have immigrated to Brazil to seek out their Brazilian dream before. It happened around the same time it was happening in America. Immigrants from Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Syria, Lebanon, Bulgaria(current President of Brazil is of Bulgarian descent), and other places. Immigration from Japan to Brazil has also taken place. In fact, Brazil has a larger Japanese population than the USA. It has happened before. The difference is that Brazil has been more of an agricultural society compared to the USA. Alot of immigrants wanted to farm.

As for industrialization, this is how I see it. Brazil has been rapidly urbanizing for many years. The economy is rapidly developing. It is the third largest producer of commercial airplanes in the world. On one hand, things are looking better each day, with a rapidly growing economy, and more industrialization than ever. On the other hand, Brazil still has its work cut out for it. Issues with corruption, high crime, tax burden.. The infrastructure could do better. Considering all of this, Brazil is a country to really look at. I think it is too early to tell at this point.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:47 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,070,935 times
Digital terrestrial television

Old 05-26-2012, 08:42 AM

597 posts, read 1,157,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Net migration rate - Country Comparison

Brazil #119 on the list with a negative migration rate.
(More people leave Brazil than move there.)
This statistic is misleading. It is wrong.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:14 PM

1,840 posts, read 1,949,255 times
When it comes to inequality in terms of wealth and income distribution, the US and Brazil are already parity in that particular aspect...

Old 06-12-2012, 09:37 AM

497 posts, read 874,259 times
Brazil's consistent problem is corruption/O Jeitinho Brasileiro/Lei de Gerson. The country needs transparency. It needs to stop this whole, "every man for himself" mentality that truly squeezes the life out of Brazil. There is this socio-cultural essence of 'O malandro' that pervades the country. Essentially, the belief is that if you are stupid enough to be swindled, then you WILL be. Moreover, due to the implicit acceptance of high taxes to fund all of this corruption, there is less of a willingness to fight corruption wholesale. Yes, there are protests here and there, but there isn't the unifying movement of "STOP" in the country, partly because everyone wants to one day be on the other side, where they are some of those decrepit elites. No one considers actually just doing AWAY with this entire system of corruption. They think inside of it, unfortunately.

On top of this, the public education in the country is laughable. Beyond horrid, with many students deciding not to go. Lula created a system where he essentially paid families to send their children to school (by giving them money, health insurance, etc.), but what this has created is an overcrowding of schools and classrooms where students are literally just going for the money, not the education, and that shows in the results...

All of this is mixed with the rigid class system/elitism that permeates all through Latin America. This is exemplified by the language: Portuguese. Spoken Brazilian Portuguese is completely different from the way it (should) be written, and the elites send their kids to private schools that teach the 'correct' Portuguese (português padrão). The vast majority of families can't afford this, so when the required testing for college rolls around, they fail miserably, and so the cycle continues. It's a textbook way of telling people they are stupid, while making sure you and you're family remains successful and powerful. As long as Brasil continues to have this obvious diglossia, the country's potential will be stunted.

It can be argued, and probably proven that these same exact problems are evident in other countries, such as the US. But it is nowhere near the level of Brasil and besides, no one is talking about other countries, the focus is on Brasil.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 AM

497 posts, read 874,259 times
Here is an article highlighting the asinine and pedantic the diglossia in Brazil is.

Danielle in Brazil: Diglossia (or, Why I Can't Find a Decent Portuguese Teacher)

Old 06-17-2012, 11:24 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,576,289 times
Brazil? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas