U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:53 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,785,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Brasil is already a great country, why should it try to mimic itself after the U.S.?
I think he's referring to them becoming a superpower that can go toe-to-toe with the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 08:32 AM

50 posts, read 112,214 times
Smoke and mirrors...

Old 07-14-2012, 11:13 AM

3,161 posts, read 3,826,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Last time I checked, Brazil is MUCH cheaper than the US.

you may want to check again, Im there frequently and I usually take electronics/cameras along to sell for profit. Walk thru the mall sometime, nike shoes that cost $100 here are over $300 there, as a matter of fact, they have two prices, one cash price and one for installments

Rio and SP are two of the most expensive places Ive ever been to, certainly the most expensive in SA...

Old 07-14-2012, 02:16 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,514,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
you may want to check again, Im there frequently and I usually take electronics/cameras along to sell for profit. Walk thru the mall sometime, nike shoes that cost $100 here are over $300 there, as a matter of fact, they have two prices, one cash price and one for installments

Rio and SP are two of the most expensive places Ive ever been to, certainly the most expensive in SA...
I'm sorry for making that statement, I've always assumed that it's much cheaper to live there due to there being a lot of poverty, therefore lower wages and therefore lower prices. I should have done some research before saying anything.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:11 PM

10,902 posts, read 23,179,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I second China becoming the next US. Brazil has way too much economic disparity. Not saying that it doesn't exist in China as well or even the US for that matter, but in Brazil it's stark.
Brazil is to depandant on China just like Canada is too depandant on the U.S. economy so I figure Canada and Brazil become more diverse get the grounf work for a modren trade agreement that benifits both countries and see what we can offer each other.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:06 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,760,263 times
Prices are high due to taxes, distribution, import levies, etc. Gas is more expensive than in the U.S. Things like shoes, computers, vitamins, cameras and cars (even those made in Brazil) more expensive than in the U.S. A Ford Fusion, made in Mexico, costs maybe twice as much as it does in the U.S. Brazilians who can do so make shopping expeditions to the U.S. One of my wife's sisters went to Miami for 4 days, mainly for shopping. Corruption and bureaucracy add to costs of things like construction. The economy has been slowing down lately, but it could conceivably rev up again. The country is facing a budget deficit, but since Pres. Dilma has vowed not to reduce spending on social programs or infrastructure, and also to lessen some taxes, no telling what will happen there. Her approval ratings remain quite high, despite the fact that several of her ministers have been forced to resign after the media uncovered corruption on their parts (in fact, after she was forced to accept their resigantions, some credited her with cleaning house). Lots of speculation as to when former Pres. Lula, who couldn't run for a third consecutive term (and handpicked his chief of staff, Dilma, to be his party's candidate), will run again. He definitely wants to.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 AM

177 posts, read 235,891 times
They will be on the world stage definitely in the 21st century.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 AM

21,384 posts, read 19,308,072 times
I sincerely hope Brazil will not be the USA of the 21st century, Brazil's biggest asset is that it is so different from the US and other big countries such as Asian ones or Germany. And I really hope it stays that way.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:20 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,169,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I sincerely hope Brazil will not be the USA of the 21st century, Brazil's biggest asset is that it is so different from the US and other big countries such as Asian ones or Germany. And I really hope it stays that way.
It won't be. Besides, what do you mean not become the US?

Old 08-12-2012, 10:37 AM

21,384 posts, read 19,308,072 times
I thought that was obvious. I mean that the US is not a good example to follow. I would go so far as to tell Brazil to look at the US, how they do things there, and then do exactly the opposite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas