Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times

Advertisements

Recently there has been quite a bit of attention focusing on not just the economic crisis in the US-Europe, but also on the consequences this is having on many levels. Brazil, on the other hand, is experiencing a prosperous and stable economy with a fast expanding middle class (contrary to previous growth of the middle class, now the people moving up tend to be a little darker than before as well), new job opportunities and now an immigration crisis in its infancy.

This very much reminds me of what I've read about the USA in the early to mid-20th Century with European immigration, and then in the latter half of the same century with Latin American immigration. Now both are pretty much a thing of the past, at least as far as illegal flows are concerned. In fact, illegal immigration flow at the Mexican-American border is now at record lows.

Here are a few videos regarding the new immigrant paradise that Brazil is becoming and I would like to know what do you think about this.

Is Brazil becoming the USA of the 21st Century?

Is the American dream being replaced by a new and much more promising Brazilian dream?

Brazil Economic Boom

Brazil: A new magnet for European immigrants

Portuguese are fleeing to Brazil

Brazil's millionaires increasing in numbers

Its not worth it to stay in the USA anymore

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
i hope not. would be an awful place to live cost-wise. i prefer the US where things like electronics are cheap

Old 05-14-2012, 08:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Not by lookig at Brizils markets.They really are too naroow in overall diverstiy oiof production on inductrial in a modern world. Chinais the only antio liekly to eclipse the US ad that is a logn wasy down the road because of structural problems. India is next after that.Forbes just had a piece on Brizil havig the worse year amoug emerging market countires which is reflectewd it heir markets. bascaily they had actaul losss of investment.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:48 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i hope not. would be an awful place to live cost-wise. i prefer the US where things like electronics are cheap
Last time I checked, Brazil is MUCH cheaper than the US.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:12 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,101 times
I think China will be the next US. You also hear more about people studying Chinese than Portugeese. What do others think?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
I think China will be the next US. You also hear more about people studying Chinese than Portugeese. What do others think?
I hear more about Chinese learning English than anyone learning Chinese.Ive had friends from Europe and America go teach English in China.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:14 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
I don't think so. Their culture is way too laid-back (mañana mañana)

Old 05-15-2012, 02:44 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Last time I checked, Brazil is MUCH cheaper than the US.
Brazil is cheaper...but not for things like electronics. At least in the past, the wealthier Brazilians who could afford plane travel, would frequently fly to Miami and go on a massive shopping spree for such items. It would be cheaper for them than buying the appliances there.

However, for most everything else, Brazil is cheaper.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:49 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
I agree with China as well. Not only for entrepreneurs, but all types of things from foreign actors, to english teachers, to small businesses, to larger businesses.

I absolutely love Brazil....but the idea of going there to live equates hardship for me. I lived there for six months years ago, and the cultural is too different, that they aren't obsessed about learning English like over here in ASIA, etc.

I was always struggling financially putting things together. Whereas when I lived in South Korea, I was always easily able to teach english for money at anytime I wanted. China always seemed the same way.

Plus, most jobs in Brazil are very low pay. If you have any money at all, you can easily get maids for just a couple hundred dollars a month. That is inconceivable in the U.S., but the norm in Brazil. Meaning that while some people's jobs and incomes are getting better in Brazil, there are a ton of people still doing some extremely hard work for very little pay, which is the norm there.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:49 AM

295 posts, read 1,155,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I don't think so. Their culture is way too laid-back (mañana mañana)
Mañana it's spanish, not portuguese.
In portuguese it's amanhã.
The Ñ it's a spanish letter that doesn't exist in portuguese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas