U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:04 PM

10,422 posts, read 12,406,700 times

Advertisements

Ghana + Ethiopian influence

Old 08-24-2013, 01:56 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,003,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Jamaican Patwa is nothing near Nigerian Pidgin.
Which of the two do you speak? I find many similarities. Heck even Pamela Odimegwu wrote an interesting book comparing the two languages. No one is saying they are exactly alike as the accent is very different, but the word arrangement has many similarities.

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 08-24-2013 at 02:20 AM..

Old 08-24-2013, 04:39 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
Probably Nigeria for some non-flattering reasons also. Both have a rep for arrogance and belligerence, among other things.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:51 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,083,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Which of the two do you speak? I find many similarities. Heck even Pamela Odimegwu wrote an interesting book comparing the two languages. No one is saying they are exactly alike as the accent is very different, but the word arrangement has many similarities.
I don't speak any, but I grew up in a household where Patwa was spoken frequently. It sounds nothing like Nigerian Pidgin.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I don't speak any, but I grew up in a household where Patwa was spoken frequently. It sounds nothing like Nigerian Pidgin.
Well I am Jamaican (not American-Canadian Jamaican, actually Jamaican) and I hear the similarities. It's probably because you are unable to speak either that you do not have an ear for the similarities. My Nigerian coworkers and friends along with my Jamaican friends agree, we've actually had discussions about it.

Also this is the book I was referring to earlier.
A Comparative Analysis of Jamaican Creole and Nigerian Pidgin English:Amazon:Books

So a Nigerian Author who majored in Linguistics also agrees. With all due respect I think I am trusting myself and others who actually speak either language over yourself.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Well I am Jamaican (not American-Canadian Jamaican, actually Jamaican) and I hear the similarities. It's probably because you are unable to speak either that you do not have an ear for the similarities. My Nigerian coworkers and friends along with my Jamaican friends agree, we've actually had discussions about it.

Also this is the book I was referring to earlier.
A Comparative Analysis of Jamaican Creole and Nigerian Pidgin English:Amazon:Books

So a Nigerian Author who majored in Linguistics also agrees. With all due respect I think I am trusting myself and others who actually speak either language over yourself.

Jamaicans did not import as much slaves from Nigeria than other islands have. I don't know what type of ears you have, but the Nigerian Pidgin sounds nothing like the Jamaican accent. Besides, The book isn't based on any peer reviewed research. It's only full of cranked research.

This sounds nothing like Jamaican Patois

INEC 2011 VOTER REGISTRATION VIDEO (PIDGIN ENGLISH) - YouTube

Old 08-24-2013, 07:50 PM

In fact, I would place many other accents from the Anglo Caribbean over the Jamaican one as being similar to the Nigerian accent. The Bajan accent have more Igbo affinities than the Jamaican one.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:55 PM

Refer to post 32 where I clearly stated that the accent is nothing alike. It's the similarities in phrases and word structure that you can easily pick up on if you speak either. If you focus solely on the accent then yes you will never hear it. That is the difference between actually speaking a language/dialect and not just being familiar with the "accent"

Also how did you grow up in a household where Jamaican Patois was spoken and not learn it yourself?

Edit: Ironically enough after watching that video I pick up on a ton of similarities. Phrases and word structure that are shared between the two are all over that video.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Refer to post 32 where I clearly stated that the accent is nothing alike. It's the similarities in phrases and word structure that you can easily pick up on if you speak either. If you focus solely on the accent then yes you will never hear it. That is the difference between actually speaking a language/dialect and not just being familiar with the "accent"

Also how did you grow up in a household where Jamaican Patois was spoken and not learn it yourself?

You do know that there are multiple languages spoken in Nigeria, right?

Old 08-24-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
You do know that there are multiple languages spoken in Nigeria, right?
As with basically every African nation there are hundreds spoken. But what does that have to do with the conversation at hand?

Either way it is not surprising I can pick up on it (along with many Nigerians and yardies I know) and not yourself. You have to be familiar with either language to find the similarities and you most likely don't have an ear for that?

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 08-24-2013 at 08:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas