U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:26 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,925,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
And Spanish colonies in Africa were in the north. Spain never had much relation with most of Africa.

All my life I heard that the black slaves in spanish colonies were few and located in the Caribbean colonies.
It seems that UK and America have more information about the history of Spain that the Spanish themselves.

Approximately the same number of slaves were brought to Spanish America as were taken to the British and French colonies in the Caribbean. Yes they were traded by license by other European nations, but the Spanish were very involved with slavery. Look at Cuba, Panama, and Colombia were significant numbers of people are derived from Africa.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Honestly, I think the African influence of the West Indies as a whole is very overstated. We are more influenced by the British and depending on the country French and Spanish as well. We have taken these influence and woven a culture of our own.

I honestly think that you are trying to hide something. Caribbean people are neither British, French nor Spanish, and the problems faced by those who migrated to their "mother countries" in post WWII indicates that.

We are a creolized culture, bringing influences from all over. Europe, Africa, Indigenous, and in some countries, Asia. You will find very few "English men" running around Jamaica.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
), the countries in the Western Hemisphere have more in common with their European former colonial metropolises.
Except that UK tourists visiting Barbados, expecting to find the "Little England" which they heard about to their consternation see Little USA. I am sure Spanish tourists to PR and even DR will feel the same way.

Yes we are westernized, as are many urban middle class Africans. How ever the Nigerians who I meet are all upper middle class professionals and I do not see any evidence that they are little Englishmen.

A further point is that in colleges often Caribbean students have heavy interaction with West African students. I have never heard of them hanging out with English students, except for those of Caribbean or African descent.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Ghana is a surprising mention to me. I am from the U.S Virgin Islands and we have always known that most of the slaves that went to the THEN Danish West Indies (now the U.S Virgin Islands) came from Ghana which, at the time was under Danish control. Not sure how Jamaican slaves came from there unless the British had some kind of business relationship with the Danes in Africa.

10% of the slaves came from the Akan speaking region. Most were sent to British and Dutch colonies. Because they were usually the leaders in the slave rebellions, and because the traders in Ghana were quiote shrewed in negotiating prices this region became less popular after the mid 18th centurym with south east Nigeria supplying more (20%).

The Danes were not major slave importers, and I am aware that there were many Dutch traders, especially in St Thomas. There does seem to be some sort of cultural connection between the USVI/BVI and St Maarten.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Jamaica also has lots of Taino, Arawak, Carib and other Native American indigenous influences as well.
Definitely not Carib. Please specify what these Taino/Arawak influences are.

Note that this population had been killed off/died from diseases by 1655 when the British conquered the island. The existing slave population then was very small, and formed the core of the Maroons, as the Spanish freed them when the British arrived. Their hope was that the Maroons would be troublesome to the British, to enduce them to leave. The Maroons instead minded their own business, until the British came after them, thinking that they were a "bad" role model for their slaves.

Jamaica is fundamentally an Afro (especially Ghane and south east Nigeria)/Celtic/(rural) Anglo culture with significant EAST Indian influences.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Jamaican Patwa is nothing near Nigerian Pidgin.

Jamaican patwa is way more like the West African pidgin Englishes than like any thing you will hear in the British Isles. yes I know that we have been taight to despise the African aspects of our cultuyre, and to pretend that we are little English men, but the tremendous cultural stress that West Indian migrants to the UK incurred in the 1950s suggests otherwise.

We are neither little Englishmen, nor little Nigerians, though we have influences from both. Blind fold any one and land them in a Caribbean country. Asde from places like Cape Verde, Seychelles, and Mauritius we are quite unique.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I don't speak any, but I grew up in a household where Patwa was spoken frequently. It sounds nothing like Nigerian Pidgin.

Sierra Leone kro= oonnoo goh fuh learn how fuh taak krio.

Guyanese creolese= yu gah fuh learn how fuh taak creolese.

Jamaican patwa= ooonoo (h)a fi learn (h)ow fi taak patwa.

I am curious about which part of the British Isles one would find this, as some will insist.

I find it hilarious when some Jamaicans describe patwa as a blend of English, Spanish, and French and omit West African grammatical influences, which evolved into pidgin English as West Africans began to use this as a trading language..

Oonoo is definitely a West African word. Nyam being another. Both used daily,

Old 11-15-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I'm familiar with both. I just don't find the similarities.

What is also interesting is the body language. West Indians have very West African hand and facial gestures. Look at how the eyes are used to communicate?

Looking foward to a post showing British "patwa".

Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Yes it does. I know some Jamaicans that identify with and claim indigenous Native American heritage. The Native Americans have an impact on the island.

Plus it has survived and carried on among the various maroon groups of Jamaica. IJS

How many. Two of them? Bet you these are black people who just cant stand that fact.

The Maroons in fcat boast of being of PURE African ancestry...claiming a very close bond to the Akan groups of Ghana. And showing contempt for the many black Jamaicans who display shame about their African ancestry and cultural influences.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
. Taino culture influenced our folk traditions, growing seasons, food and agricultural practices which are evident even today.
With West Africans, especially people from Ghana and south east Nigeria having MORE influence.

By the time that most ancestors of Jamaicans arrived the taino were almost completely wiped out. Unlike the Garifuna, whose ancestries are tied to a blend of escaped slaves and Caribs, Maroons base their identity around Akan traditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas