U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: your favorite
San Francisco 17 41.46%
NYC 24 58.54%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2012, 11:27 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,353 posts, read 19,626,396 times
Reputation: 13150

Advertisements

Combined statistical area population:

San Francisco - 7.5 million

New York City - 22.2 million

Hence, not comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2012, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,240 posts, read 23,750,849 times
Reputation: 8608
That's kind of narrow minded.. it's boring always comparing cities like London, Paris and New York together. Done to death already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 01:38 PM
 
2,159 posts, read 2,672,635 times
Reputation: 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
That's kind of narrow minded.. it's boring always comparing cities like London, Paris and New York together. Done to death already.
BigCityDreamer is just doing his job. He carries the NYC banner pretty vigilantly on these boards. Almost have to commend his (or her) enthusiasm.

Last edited by BigLake; 06-07-2012 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,620 posts, read 11,701,213 times
Reputation: 6603
NYC > San Fran
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 03:03 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,319 posts, read 2,591,994 times
Reputation: 1665
I'll try to be as objective as possible:

Cultural amenities: NY
Dining: NY
Nighlife: NY
Neighborhoods: NY
Things to do: NY
Public Transit: NY
Architecture: NY
Buzz: NY
Career Opportunities: NY

Did I miss anything? Oh..

Scenery: SF
Climate: I've heard some pretty bad things about SF weather (especially in the summer, which is supposedly colder than their winter) but I will give this one to SF anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 05:50 PM
 
248 posts, read 493,572 times
Reputation: 359
I will be slightly more objective (if we are indeed going to compare the two):

Cultural amenities: NY
Dining: SF (just better and better access to locally sourced products, more restaurants per capita, culinary capital of the US...it is far easier to run into good food in SF than it is in NY, and I don't mean to keep going about it but there must be something in the water in NY that makes even the best food taste off, or not like it should)
Nighlife: NY
Neighborhoods: This is tough...NY has more too offer yes, but again the diversity of SFs neighbourhoods considering its size is imprssive to say the least.
Things to do: NY
Public Transit: NY (I dont understand why people talk so great about SFs public transport...it should be far easier to get across a city that small...and bart has the dirtiest trains i have ever seen and muni is a nightmare)
Architecture: SF...it is more unique to the city. Skyscrapers aside, most of NY most iconic architecture is not particulary unique to NY
Buzz: NY
Career Opportunities: NY for sheer numbers, SF by a long shot per capita (higher wages and more livable cost of living too)
Scenery: SF
Climate: SF in the Autumn/Winter...NY in the Spring/Summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 11:29 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,319 posts, read 2,591,994 times
Reputation: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioLM View Post
I will be slightly more objective (if we are indeed going to compare the two):

Cultural amenities: NY
Dining: SF (just better and better access to locally sourced products, more restaurants per capita, culinary capital of the US...it is far easier to run into good food in SF than it is in NY, and I don't mean to keep going about it but there must be something in the water in NY that makes even the best food taste off, or not like it should)
Nighlife: NY
Neighborhoods: This is tough...NY has more too offer yes, but again the diversity of SFs neighbourhoods considering its size is imprssive to say the least.
Things to do: NY
Public Transit: NY (I dont understand why people talk so great about SFs public transport...it should be far easier to get across a city that small...and bart has the dirtiest trains i have ever seen and muni is a nightmare)
Architecture: SF...it is more unique to the city. Skyscrapers aside, most of NY most iconic architecture is not particulary unique to NY
Buzz: NY
Career Opportunities: NY for sheer numbers, SF by a long shot per capita (higher wages and more livable cost of living too)
Scenery: SF
Climate: SF in the Autumn/Winter...NY in the Spring/Summer
So why do you think I am not being objective? Because I don't think that SF has superior dining and architecture? I think you will find that most people will disagree with you (especially on the latter). Perhaps a truly objective response would be to admit that this is a slightly ridiculous thread started by a desperate homer badly in need of an ego boost. There are few cities in the world that can legitimately be compared to NY across any of these parameters. SF - as great as it is - is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 12:26 PM
 
248 posts, read 493,572 times
Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
So why do you think I am not being objective? Because I don't think that SF has superior dining and architecture? I think you will find that most people will disagree with you (especially on the latter). Perhaps a truly objective response would be to admit that this is a slightly ridiculous thread started by a desperate homer badly in need of an ego boost. There are few cities in the world that can legitimately be compared to NY across any of these parameters. SF - as great as it is - is not one of them.
haha, never said you weren't being objective...I said I would be a little more and gave SF credit where it was due. Also I absolutely agree with you about the thread and how incomparable the two cities are (which is what my original post on this thread mentioned). However, as ridiculous as we might think it is we are both contributing to it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 12:36 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
79,050 posts, read 70,909,315 times
Reputation: 77091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I'll try to be as objective as possible:

Cultural amenities: NY
Dining: NY
Nighlife: NY
Neighborhoods: NY
Things to do: NY
Public Transit: NY
Architecture: NY
Buzz: NY
Career Opportunities: NY

Did I miss anything? Oh..

Scenery: SF
Climate: I've heard some pretty bad things about SF weather (especially in the summer, which is supposedly colder than their winter) but I will give this one to SF anyway.
You missed: crime. NYC has a lot more crime. NYC weather is insufferable in the summers, and can be challenging in winter as well. SF is cool year-round.
Neighborhoods: my vote is with SF. NYC has more slummy neighborhoods.
Architecture: debatable. SF's architecture is gorgeous. Known for its traditional Victorian homes, but it's all beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 01:11 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,319 posts, read 2,591,994 times
Reputation: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You missed: crime. NYC has a lot more crime. NYC weather is insufferable in the summers, and can be challenging in winter as well. SF is cool year-round.
Neighborhoods: my vote is with SF. NYC has more slummy neighborhoods.
Architecture: debatable. SF's architecture is gorgeous. Known for its traditional Victorian homes, but it's all beautiful.
Of course NY has more slummy neighborhoods. It's 10 times the size of SF. It also has many many more historic, interesting, vibrant neighborhoods. What are SF's equivalents of Soho, Greenwich Village, Chelsea, East Village, TriBeCa, Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Williamsburg, Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights etc. etc.? The comparison is laughable.

Crime? Have you been in a coma the last 20 years? Your information is woefully out of date. NYC is the safest big city in the country, much safer than SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top