U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 03:22 PM

775 posts, read 993,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
We get quite a large number of Americans in this age group where I live, and the most prominent thing about them (to this American ex-pat) is that they have the intellectual level and decorum that I used to associate with high school students.

I lunch at a popular scenic site outside of town, and sometimes I give a ride to kids walking back to town. The Americans are usually incapable of holding a conversation, on the other hand Germans of the same age often have a lively intelligence and seemed to have actually acquired an education while going to a university.
What exactly do you mean by "incapable of holding a conversation"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 03:24 PM

78,541 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
What exactly do you mean by "incapable of holding a conversation"?
The art of conversation is dead in the US. Intelligent conversation involves more than just blathering mindlessly about trivia.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:33 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,703,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where do you live? Maybe Moscow is close to being like Europe.
Vladivostok - 6000 miles away from Moscow

Quote:
I'll tell you what's like Europe; the Baltic states are like Europe.
I'm not talking about culture right now - culturally Russia is of course different from Europe, even including Baltic states. But life here and there is generally similar.

Quote:
btw, have you ever seen villages in Western Europe? There's no comparison to villages in Russia.
Comparing the worst Russian with the best European? Don't. Even if generally you are right.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
I'm not talking about culture right now - culturally Russia is of course different from Europe, even including Baltic states. But life here and there is generally similar.
I was talking about quality of life, and lifestyle. If I were to compare St. Petersburg with any of the capital cities in the Baltics, it would be obvious that the Baltics are more European. One could say the same for the countryside as well.

Not that that means anything in terms of personal preference. I love St. Petersburg!

So, how do you like Vladivostok? Personally, I prefer Khabarovsk, but I haven't been to Vlad since it got developed, after the 1998 crisis.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I wonder if American kids spend more time on the internet and playing video games than European young people?
About just as much.

Quote:
So in 4 years of university, Europeans learn a lot more than Americans. They're 2 years ahead.
The main difference is that European education is more broad but less deep.

Don't try to find the cause of American "stupidity" in the education system. It's a cultural trait.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
If I were to compare
Yes, Russian and European styles are different

Quote:
So, how do you like Vladivostok? Personally, I prefer Khabarovsk
Prefer a city that tops "the most comfortable" list to a city that bottoms it? Big surprise

Vladik is getting better, with recent massive fed investments, but it is doomed to be just a ****ty version of San Francisco.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Don't try to find the cause of American "stupidity" in the education system. It's a cultural trait.
um...I was commenting on kevxu's observations. I thought his post was interesting, I think he has a point.

...oh well.

Comparing education systems, I had some conversations with a psychologist in Buryatia who helped found a private school for gifted kids. The school sent a group of students to a school in the US for a semester. What the Buryat educators reported after interviewing the kids when they returned was that education in Russia is more about memorization, about learning facts, while education in the US is more about acquiring analytical skills. At first the Buryat group was a bit lost, and struggled, but they caught on to how things worked quickly enough, and after that they said school was easy.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Prefer a city that tops "the most comfortable" list to a city that bottoms it? Big surprise

Vladik is getting better, with recent massive fed investments, but it is doomed to be just a ****ty version of San Francisco.
Oh. I didn't know people there felt that way about it. And I didn't know that Khabarovsk was at the top of the "most comfortable" rating. How do Irkutsk and Ulan Ude rate? I assume St. Petersburg is near the top?

Old 06-09-2012, 05:57 PM

15,029 posts, read 13,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhere View Post
I was wondering how the rest of the world views Americans. What comes to mind? Also what have been your experiences? Do they reinforce the stereotype or do the opposite?

I'm a well-traveled, open-minded and cultured American, so I won't be offended by what anyone says.
Well, when I first started meeting Americans back in Moscow ( and that was loooong time ago,) my impression was definitely negative, not as in "what atrocious people they are," but in a sense that they were definitely no match to Europeans. I am talking first of all about young people - University students who seemed to be preoccupied only with partying and having good time, with no ability to hold intellectual conversation as someone already mentioned here before. The older generation came across as very practical and constantly preoccupied with material side of things, as in what costs what. Of course practically all of them who were coming to Moscow back in those times at least, were either from California or Florida (and they were very wealthy at that), New-York coming as distant third, and New-Yorkers were coming across as most intellectual kind, particularly that some of them were rather from the lower-middle class. However even when they were intellectual kind, they were more like children, eager to learn and to ask questions, but with nothing to share in return. So still no match to Europeans I thought, and that's why I considered Americans rather boring kind of people. I could care less how they were dressed or about their manners, particularly that I thought that they were dressed rather nicely, and except for some arrogant types, for the most part everyone was rather polite and friendly.
So about few years down the road, when circumstances have brought me to the US, I already knew what to expect from Americans more or less, except for when I started living among them on a regular basis, I appreciated more how friendly and kind average people were, even though they were lacking the sophistication of Europeans. For me personally it was a welcome change from Russia, where people greatly vary from the most generous souls to mad dogs ( for a lack of better word,) you want to have nothing to do with.
I did meet of course few American intellectuals here and there, but then they all reminded me more of Brits than anyone else.
Overall once I've accepted that Americans are not Europeans and never will be, my opinion about them actually improved, after I've spent so much time among them. Kindness goes the long way in my eyes, and I could count on my fingers only few of them that I really disliked in so many years.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
a welcome change from Russia, where people greatly vary from the most generous souls to mad dogs ( for a lack of better word,) you want to have nothing to do with.
LOL! I must have lead a sheltered life during my time in Russia, I never ran into any "mad dogs". haha! Well...maybe one.

erasure: Don't you find that Americans are friendly on a more superficial level, whereas some Russians have a deeper understanding of friendship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or