U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 07:00 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,722,971 times

Advertisements

Well, some of the stereotypes I hear are that we're loud, rude, ignorant, disrespectful, don't know shame, smart, friendly, and obese.

Even though I live in America, I guess my "Asian-ness" helped me to cooperate well during my traveling. It's true that you'll find these kind of people everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 10:37 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,343,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
What exactly do you mean by "incapable of holding a conversation"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The art of conversation is dead in the US. Intelligent conversation involves more than just blathering mindlessly about trivia.
Americans aren't the most spontaneous and outgoing people to be with unless you share some sort of interest with them. It's not that they aren't unfriendly or unwilling to talk, but Americans tend to be paranoid about strangers as they would associate that with potential crime.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:42 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,343,176 times
That being said, Americans are more organized and well-planned for certain things related to work. Even though I was born and raised in the states, I also grew up with different cultures and learned about their way of life. I've always preferred their way of life because it is much more laid back than in the states.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:59 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,703,606 times
Quote:
I didn't know that Khabarovsk was at the top of the "most comfortable" rating. How do Irkutsk and Ulan Ude rate? I assume St. Petersburg is near the top?
Khabarovsk fares great in a government's rating, that only selects 3 winners. No wonder, since the city is nice. In a highly quoted media rating it's at 34's place, thanks to high Far Eastern prices.

http://c2.kommersant.ru/ISSUES.PHOTO...4/sfqwer_b.gif

54 Irkutsk
97 Vladivostok
Ulan Ude didn't make it to the top100 list.
Peter is 2nd. Or 1st, if you consider Khimki to be part of Moscow.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:05 AM

3,225 posts, read 6,293,856 times
Quote:
LOL! I must have lead a sheltered life during my time in Russia, I never ran into any "mad dogs". haha! Well...maybe one.

erasure: Don't you find that Americans are friendly on a more superficial level, whereas some Russians have a deeper understanding of friendship?
I know this question is for erasure but I have to say a big resounding YES. Much of the "friendliness" of Americans is just fake, Americans are expected to be "friendly" and to "wear their smile" for everyone. So many people here have big smiles and "HI'S!!!" then turn around and talk dirt about those same people. Americans like to make small talk, but more often than not it seems pointless and dull. I find it exhausting at times.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
^ In what nations are most citizens really that intellectual either? I've met many French people, and while on the whole they are more aware of politics and the world in general, and whatnot, they did not seem any more intellectual than Americans on the whole. Most people are not intellectual - when it comes to deep thinking, they let others do their thinking for them and have very few truly original thoughts. Most are considered with the business of living their day to day lives, unless they are in academia.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:40 AM

78,526 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ In what nations are most citizens really that intellectual either? I've met many French people, and while on the whole they are more aware of politics and the world in general, and whatnot, they did not seem any more intellectual than Americans on the whole. Most people are not intellectual - when it comes to deep thinking, they let others do their thinking for them and have very few truly original thoughts. Most are considered with the business of living their day to day lives, unless they are in academia.
This isn't true in Russia, not at all. The best conversations I've ever had in my life were in Russia. It's a national characteristic. It's something I look forward to every time I go.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:44 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,624,444 times
Quote:
The art of conversation is dead in the US. Intelligent conversation involves more than just blathering mindlessly about trivia.
This post makes no sense to me. I have plenty of intelligent conversations with other Americans in America all the time. Maybe it's time to find a new circle of friends?

Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,624,444 times
Quote:
This isn't true in Russia, not at all. The best conversations I've ever had in my life were in Russia. It's a national characteristic.
I have had intelligent conversations in America and Russia, and stupid conversations in American and Russia. Countries don't make conversationalists--people do.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:48 AM

78,526 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Somehow, Russia has a lot more good conversationalists. There's a higher percentage of the population with higher education there. But even people without higher education can be very kind and interesting.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-10-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or