U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Europeans think American tourists dress in sloppy clothes. A couple of friends of mine dressed nicely when they went to Europe. The woman wore heels, not the comfortable walking shoes that other American women wear. Everyone thought the couple were European. They were shocked to hear American English coming out of their mouths, because the way they were dressed didn't fit the stereotype.
What is 'sloppy' to Europeans? I've met many European tourists here and they wear practical things like T-shirts, singlets, shorts.etc and comfortable, walking shoes. Being a tourist isn't about looking good, it's about what's wearing what's practical for your trip and suitable for what you plan to do...you're bound to be doing a lot of walking so a good set of comfortable, practical walking shoes is essential: I don't think you should even take a pair of heels along with you in your suit-case unless you have a big night out or whatever.

Before I went to the US I actually met more Canadian than American tourists both here and when I went on travelling, but most of the American tourists didn't really fit the stereotype. Sure, a lot did, but overall, they didn't seem too different to German or Australian tourists, for instance.

When I went to the US I didn't want to have any preconceived stereotypes in mind - I took everything as it came. Americans are quite direct compared to even most Australians: they tend to say what's on your minds, and if they're not happy with something they will make it known. Met some really friend, helpful and down to earth people, some rude people, and everything in between. In other words, I realized that Americans are just humans live everybody else, and far more complex than the fictional or 'reality TV' (which is fiction too, really) characters we're bombarded with on television.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 08:28 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What is 'sloppy' to Europeans? I've met many European tourists here and they wear practical things like T-shirts, singlets, shorts.etc and comfortable, walking shoes. Being a tourist isn't about looking good, it's about what's wearing what's practical for your trip and suitable for what you plan to do...you're bound to be doing a lot of walking so a good set of comfortable, practical walking shoes is essential: I don't think you should even take a pair of heels along with you in your suit-case unless you have a big night out or whatever.

White New Balance sneakers with white socks and bermuda shorts. Topped off with a baseball cap. Sleeveless camisoles (muscle shirts). Bonus points if any of this is being worn by a female.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
White New Balance sneakers with white socks and bermuda shorts. Topped off with a baseball cap. ****less camisoles (muscle shirts). Bonus points if any of this is being worn by a female.
Maybe that's a generational thing, but I see nothing wrong with the above for travelling, and don't look down on people for what they wear. Most Europeans I've met certainly don't 'dress up' when they go travelling, Russians maybe are an exception (moreso the women, for some reason. Their husbands/boyfriends often dress in singlets and shorts and you'll see them all done up in the nines).

When travelling, fashion is really the last thing on my list of important things to worry about. If you can't find a place to wash your clothes, it won't kill you to wear your undies for three days in a row, or wear the same shirt for 3-4 days in a row. Especially when you're travelling 'off the beaten path' outside the 'civilised' world of Europe.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:32 AM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
If anyone has an American "stereotype," then that only means they have never really travelled in America to experience the reality.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If anyone has an American "stereotype," then that only means they have never really travelled in America to experience the reality.
I find those with the most ignorant stereotypes about America are the same ones who say they have no interest in ever visiting the US. Whether that be Australians or Europeans. Their opinions are based on what someone else said, what they see on stupid reality TV shows, or some totally stereotypical image they have in their mind.

While stereotypes can be fun for comedic purposes, anyone who actually takes them as general rules is the real laughing stock in my book.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:42 AM

I am from Canada and believe it or not I did not have any preconceived notions about Americans before I actually met them.

I had of course seen plenty of stuff about the U.S. on TV and in movies. This led me to conclude that that country had generous quantities of both good and bad stuff and people. Basically, it was like any other place, including the place where I lived.

When I finally did get around to meeting Americans I found that they were, well.... "themselves".

I realize I should be more specific here, so on the whole I should say I found them to be somewhat naive about the wider world outside the U.S., and the different customs that you can encounter. Though they were not openly hostile to "differences" either, just dumbfounded by them.

They tend to be very knowledgeable about their own country's culture, and often expect people in other countries to know all about U.S. culture as well. Perhaps this is because when abroad they do see a lot of American stuff around, so they assume everyone there knows everything about U.S. culture, when the knowledge is often quite superfical and partial. So they feel free to drop some reference to Saturday Night Live sketch to a waiter in Berlin who speaks English perfectly, but he's never even heard of the show.

Also, Americans to me have always seemed to be talkative, friendly, direct and straight shooters with their opinions. They are also not cheap when travelling.

They often have a particular way of dressing that most of the world seems to identify as "typical American" (addressed elsewhere on this thread). Of course, many people in other countries dress this way as well, and not all Americans do, but stereotypes are not about exceptions to the rule, are they?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,161,410 times
Quote:
I find those with the most ignorant stereotypes about America are the same ones who say they have no interest in ever visiting the US. Whether that be Australians or Europeans. Their opinions are based on what someone else said, what they see on stupid reality TV shows, or some totally stereotypical image they have in their mind.

While stereotypes can be fun for comedic purposes, anyone who actually takes them as general rules is the real laughing stock in my book.
Very well said. People that actually believe the stereotypes are the truly ignorant ones, and probably think like that to try to cover up their own shortcomings either as an individual, or their perceived national consciousness, IMO

Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Maybe that's a generational thing, but I see nothing wrong with the above for travelling, and don't look down on people for what they wear.
I don't think it's generational. I am not really that old BTW, and in any event a lot of people who sport the look I described (whether travelling abroad or going to their local Wal-Mart) are actually older people, not young people in their 20s.

Quote:
Most Europeans I've met certainly don't 'dress up' when they go travelling, .
Perhaps not, but most tend to dress quite differently from Americans.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 AM

Older American tourists also seem really friendly and talkative...the young ones tend to be more like other nations. They also always seem to be from some small little town in the Midwest or something lol.

In fact their open and cheerfully unaffected friendliness is quite refreshing compared to the British reserve.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 AM

152 posts, read 400,157 times
I don't put much stalk into stereotypes myself, but the US is a big country and so going from a small city to a big city, or from one coast to the other, you meet an array of Americans. Sure some fit the stereotype, but not all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or