U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 PM

181 posts, read 227,429 times

Advertisements

I used to be a military brat and grew up in Europe almost my whole life. When I first officially came to the states to live, certain things definitely reinforced the stereotype.

---Americans are much much much more wasteful. In everything. Spending, trash, too big of houses, everything. Everything has to be more more more. Honestly I think thats the stereotype that no one on this thread can argue.

---Americans are bigger. On average yes. Although we Americans are more body/looks conscious, we still don't understand that eating right and getting daily activity is a LIFESTYLE. Not a once a year thing.

---Work too hard. A lot of people say how busy they are with work and how soooo stressed they are. In America that is a badge of honor. In Europe I was accustomed to enjoying life and family.

However, most other stereotypes about Americans can be said about anyone on this earth. EX.... "Dress poorly," trust me, Europe and Asia has no room to talk on this one. "Loud," to me Asians and Germans are hella loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 02:58 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,258,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Could you please elaborate?
I am not speaking for Mr. Joshua....but honestly Canadians are hardly the example of "worldliness" they make themselves out to be as I am sure you can agree.

Knowledge of the outside world (other than a superficial view of "The States") is extremely limited among Canadians as it is for many Americans.

Now back to the OP: I moved to the US as a teenager and obviously heard the stereotypes about Americans, but honestly never paid them any mind. Americans do have distinct cultural differences from others, but don't all Cultures have their "quirks" so to speak? So on balance Americans are just like everyone else, some open minded, well dressed, culturally aware and others not so much.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:10 PM

10,162 posts, read 11,127,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I am not speaking for Mr. Joshua....but honestly Canadians are hardly the example of "worldliness" they make themselves out to be as I am sure you can agree.

Knowledge of the outside world (other than a superficial view of "The States") is extremely limited among Canadians as it is for many Americans.
The average Canadian is only marginally better than the average American on this front it is true, and as you know I am not afraid to point this out here on city-data.

That said, this thread is about the U.S., and I do think that we are allowed to comment on other countries (this is what this forum is all about) even if our own country's record in the same area is not perfect. For example, I don't see why Americans couldn't comment on violent crime issues in other countries, or Greeks on public debt issues elsewhere...

Old 06-06-2012, 03:16 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,258,380 times
Quote:
The average Canadian is only marginally better than the average American on this front it is true, and as you know I am not afraid to point this out here on city-data.

That said, this thread is about the U.S., and I do think that we are allowed to comment on other countries (this is what this forum is all about) even if our own country's record in the same area is not perfect. For example, I don't see why Americans couldn't comment on violent crime issues in other countries, or Greeks on public debt issues elsewhere...
Acajack, not to butter you up, but you are one of the more informative posters on city data, so I agree you are always candid on all topics.

I agree that we can comment on any country or culture as it is an open forum. No dispute there whatsoever.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:23 PM

10,162 posts, read 11,127,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Acajack, not to butter you up, but you are one of the more informative posters on city data, so I agree you are always candid on all topics.

I agree that we can comment on any country or culture as it is an open forum. No dispute there whatsoever.
Hey, I love you too man!

Old 06-06-2012, 03:27 PM

9,994 posts, read 8,484,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
---Americans are much much much more wasteful. In everything. Spending, trash, too big of houses, everything. Everything has to be more more more. Honestly I think thats the stereotype that no one on this thread can argue.
Well, it's a rich country with a lot of space and money to go around, even in these tougher economic times. That's why people tend to have and get bigger things. That would be true in any other country as well. Most people everywhere dream of living in a big place, driving big cars, having big things or lots of little things. Why wouldn't they if they could afford it?

But plenty of people live in smaller apartments and homes too. It's purely a lifestyle choice.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-06-2012 at 03:36 PM..

Old 06-06-2012, 03:44 PM

181 posts, read 227,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, it's a rich country with a lot of space and money to go around, even in these tougher economic times. That's why people tend to have and get bigger things. That would be true in any other country as well. Most people everywhere dream of living in a big place, driving big cars, having big things or lots of little things. Why wouldn't they if they could afford it?

But plenty of people live in smaller apartments and homes too. It's purely a lifestyle choice.
I guess. But I'm just stating what I've noticed. Wastefullness is nothing to be proud of my friend.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:09 PM

5,536 posts, read 2,800,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
I guess. But I'm just stating what I've noticed. Wastefullness is nothing to be proud of my friend.
Ha ha, well at least we don't waist it on clothes according to most on here. lol A wardrobe of sweats and wife beaters is pretty cheap.

I googled Typical American to see where you all get this and this is what came up, tons of photos like this. They usually involve fat people eating food in tanks and sweats.

Typical American boys - Enjoy The Random

This picture isn't even in America but this is the common thought. Fat, lazy and under dressed individuals that can barely speak. It's truly enjoyable and makes me have a good laugh.

I must say I sort of enjoy my sweet pants and flip flops. I also enjoy not feeling pressure from others here to dress a certain way or talk a certain way.

Being polite and well dressed can make one uptight. It's ok if you think of me like the typical American, I don't mind, I know it's not all true. I'm well educated, well traveled and respectful. I do wear sweats to the grocery, and I do wear flip flops out to dinner on occasion, depending on the place, it's usually Pizza Hut or Taco Bell. lol

Go ahead, have your fun on me. I don't mind.

Here are several stereotypes from around my country and the world.....Enjoy!!! Looking through these, my countries isn't so bad.

Lou Minatti: Modern Stereotypes

Last edited by PoppySead; 06-06-2012 at 07:33 PM..

Old 06-06-2012, 07:26 PM

7,071 posts, read 3,371,516 times
Quote:
Could you please elaborate?
Canadian tourists are just as lacking in style as American tourists are.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:32 PM

24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is exactly the American attitude, and many Europeans look askance at it. Shorts don't look good on people who are overweight, for example. I've been asked by Europeans why well-to-do American tourists don't dress well. One can dress well and still be comfortable, they say. But that could be a generational thing. Nowadays, I've heard Europeans wear American-style outdoor wear: hiking shorts and American-brand recreational wear, as you mentioned, so it could be changing. Someone would take heels if they expect to occasionally go to a concert or a nice restaurant.

When I was backpacking through Europe and staying at youth hostels, everyone wore jeans. What I couldn't figure out is how the staff checking people in knew I was the one American in the group. We all had similar backpacks, all wore the same jeans and shirts, but the staff were able to pick me out of the crowd. I've asked Europeans about that, and they say you just know an American, there's just something about them. Go figure. I've read it's a body-language thing.
The travellers I meet are usually backpackers doing it a 'bit rough' - I travel with them or meet them at hostels, trekking, doing it a bit 'rough' (but still rather comfortably, unless it's some wilderness expedition) so they tend not to be the well-heeled retirees who are coached from attraction to attraction in air-conditioned buses, to retire to their 5 star accommodation every night. Those who are aghast at the idea of getting their shoes muddy, or eating from a road-side stall. Perhaps that's the difference. I'm long overdue to make it to Europe (all in good time, I've made use of the time/money I've had to travel to as many places I can).

The US doesn't have a strong backpacker/youth hostel/budget travel culture like Australia does. It seems a lot of Holiday Inns and Best Westerns by the interstate, or well-appointed hotels aimed at families and at least medium budget travellers. I wonder if if you go to a place like New York the Europeans will be more 'well-dressed' than somewhere like Cairns. Obviously totally different climates/experiences - in Cairns one wears very casual, warm-weather clothes, as anyone going to say the Bahamas would. Trousers might 'look better', for especially for somebody who is overweight and is hot enough, they are not the best option at all. Again, so what if people see your travel-attire as sloppy? You're not putting on a fashion show or trying to 'impress' the locals with your immaculate fashion sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas