Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 PM

152 posts, read 493,373 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how the rest of the world views Americans. What comes to mind? Also what have been your experiences? Do they reinforce the stereotype or do the opposite?

I'm a well-traveled, open-minded and cultured American, so I won't be offended by what anyone says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 11:05 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Europeans think American tourists dress in sloppy clothes. A couple of friends of mine dressed nicely when they went to Europe. The woman wore heels, not the comfortable walking shoes that other American women wear. Everyone thought the couple were European. They were shocked to hear American English coming out of their mouths, because the way they were dressed didn't fit the stereotype.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:20 AM

218 posts, read 506,700 times
Fat and stupid - often true.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:46 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times
You can issue? I understand we are talking about stereotypes about Americans (as he sees the rest of the world Americans) or I did not understand?If this is so, then Insolent and arrogant.Met in life, but not all, of course (I think it depends on the upbringing)

Last edited by GreyKarast; 06-06-2012 at 03:56 AM..

Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Well, being from Puerto Rico, Americans are a people always preoccupied about race. I find that to be true a lot of the time.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:17 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
For me it looks like many Americans have ADHD or something.
They have to move/talk all the time, and they like to do that as loud as possible so everyone can see/hear them too, like they think they are playing in a movie and the camera can't hear their voices so they have to speak up.
Americans invented Overacting.

I actually look like a American after doing cocaine.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:25 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhere View Post
I was wondering how the rest of the world views Americans. What comes to mind? Also what have been your experiences? Do they reinforce the stereotype or do the opposite?

I'm a well-traveled, open-minded and cultured American, so I won't be offended by what anyone says.

i very much like americans , probabley the friendliest nation on earth and certainly the most hospitable

the stereotypes have rarely presented themselves and even they do , i like them

Old 06-06-2012, 05:56 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
For me it looks like many Americans have ADHD or something.
They have to move/talk all the time, and they like to do that as loud as possible so everyone can see/hear them too, like they think they are playing in a movie and the camera can't hear their voices so they have to speak up.
Americans invented Overacting.

I actually look like a American after doing cocaine.
Thankfully, only young 20-somethings American tourists fit the bill. Also, most Americans don't travel outside of the country, so you're meeting a very small section of America that isn't representative. The loudest, rude American tourist is usually under 30 and on Spring Break or in between university semesters or study abroad students

Old 06-06-2012, 06:12 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
I have an American friend (exchange student) and she definitely reinforces the stereotype in some ways, LOL. Sometimes she will go out in clothes that are only meant for the gym (sweatpants, sneakers, wide shirt) but she wears normal clothes most of the time. She is also concerned with her weight and always on some type of diet, even though she's not overweight (in my experience "weight" is a much bigger issue in the US than it is here). Then again, she also eats much more fastfood (I mean food that she doesn't cook herself but orders somewhere, like fries or pizza or Chinese food) than anyone else I know. And then one time she wanted to take me and and a few other friends out to dinner for a special occasion and we went to the Pizza Hut Really nice food there btw

On the other hand, she doesn't reinforce the American stereotype in other ways:

- She's well-travelled
- She studies French in University
- She's not at all patriotic

I don't take stereotypes too seriously anyway, they're caricatures more than anything.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:01 AM

152 posts, read 493,373 times
I grew up with a mom that wasn't American, so I see some of the differences you've mentioned.

That's interesting that many of you mentioned the clothes. When I'm in the US, I don't mind going to the grocery store in sweatpants, but I wouldn't elsewhere in the world and I don't think my mom would be very proud. Even on the plane my mom didn't allow us to wear sweats and that stayed with me even now that I'm on my own.

Also, growing up, we always ate in and only went out for special occasions. I didn't go to my first taco bell until college. Sadly though, now eating out has been the norm for me.

As for the ADHD thing, I agree, I think sometimes we don't know how to relax and I think that's why maybe most are ok with 2-3 weeks paid vacation per year, and sadly many people don't even take those vacations.

I know many of the things mentioned were stereotypes as well, but I just wanted to see how many of view have actually experienced those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas