Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 12:16 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,761 times

Advertisements

So much for this idea of a Racial Democracy and Mixed Race uptopia that Brazilians love to boast about on this forum. They have similar concepts of "race" like the United States.

Quote:
So, few days ago I mentioned on a group of people that I would only marry a woman of my own race, and I got labeled a "racist" right away. This happened at the University of São Paulo, where you have a load of people from many different places, so, eventually you have a good portion of people who think like that, something that would most certainly not happen in Paraná and other places within the South, or any other place where whites are a majority.

And I've seen that situation happening before with both white guys and girls - being labaled a "racist" for sticking only with people of your own kind; but a funny thing is that this situation only seems to happen in places where you have a good amount of mixed-race people, it's like they try to push white people into breeding with blacks and mixed-race people for some reason.

Yet a funny fact is that Southern Brazilians are considered the most attractive people in Brazil, while Northern Brazilians are considered the least attractive, but why? Nobody ever dared mention why, because that would probably be a "racist" answer. And it's also very obvious how Southern Brazilians (or whites in general) gain some special treatment in certain places, specially places where you have large groups of people gathering, mostly from universities, or places like beaches, etc.

So, it's an odd situation, including the fact that certain people from certain places assume that we're all part of this "human race" and everybody is the same - you've probably met at least one person who thinks like that, despite having clear differences between people of different backgrounds that we all know about.

I don't exactly understand what causes this behaviour - of saying that we're all the "same" yet having a special taste for whites, despite many of those people not being whites themselves.

It's also very odd how whites and east-asians seem to be the only ones who keep the idea of remaining with their own kind, at least here where I live, and also getting very angry when someone of our own kind dates someone from outside of our race, that person certainly gets shunned for dating outside her/his race, yet the same never happens with blacks and mixed-race people, you know, trying to remain with their own kind and putting some value to their own kind, instead they actually put whites up on a pedestal, which is probably why they can't stand the idea of whites dating only whites, because they also want the whites. So it's not a problem for blacks to date only blacks, and mixed-race people to date only mixed-race people, east-asians to date only east-asians, but whites can't date only whites.
So much for this idea of a Racial Democracy and Mixed Race uptopia that Brazil is stereotyped to be.

So, few days ago I mentioned on a group of people that I would only marry a woman of my own race, and I got labeled a "racist" right away. This happened at the University of São Paulo, where you have a load of people from many different places, so, eventually you have a good portion of people who think like that, something that would most certainly not happen in Paraná and other places within the South, or any other place where whites are a majority.

And I've seen that situation happening before with both white guys and girls - being labaled a "racist" for sticking only with people of your own kind; but a funny thing is that this situation only seems to happen in places where you have a good amount of mixed-race people, it's like they try to push white people into breeding with blacks and mixed-race people for some reason.

Yet a funny fact is that Southern Brazilians are considered the most attractive people in Brazil, while Northern Brazilians are considered the least attractive, but why? Nobody ever dared mention why, because that would probably be a "racist" answer. And it's also very obvious how Southern Brazilians (or whites in general) gain some special treatment in certain places, specially places where you have large groups of people gathering, mostly from universities, or places like beaches, etc.

So, it's an odd situation, including the fact that certain people from certain places assume that we're all part of this "human race" and everybody is the same - you've probably met at least one person who thinks like that, despite having clear differences between people of different backgrounds that we all know about.

I don't exactly understand what causes this behaviour - of saying that we're all the "same" yet having a special taste for whites, despite many of those people not being whites themselves.

It's also very odd how whites and east-asians seem to be the only ones who keep the idea of remaining with their own kind, at least here where I live, and also getting very angry when someone of our own kind dates someone from outside of our race, that person certainly gets shunned for dating outside her/his race, yet the same never happens with blacks and mixed-race people, you know, trying to remain with their own kind and putting some value to their own kind, instead they actually put whites up on a pedestal, which is probably why they can't stand the idea of whites dating only whites, because they also want the whites. So it's not a problem for blacks to date only blacks, and mixed-race people to date only mixed-race people, east-asians to date only east-asians, but whites can't date only whites.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:13 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
So much for this idea of a Racial Democracy and Mixed Race uptopia that Brazilians love to boast about on this forum. They have similar concepts of "race" like the United States.
This can be summed up in three little words: "color", "caste", and "privilege"

Old 11-23-2013, 07:58 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This can be summed up in three little words: "color", "caste", and "privilege"

I appreciate the honesty of this person. Many Brazilians deny that racism/colorism is an issue, this while they live in their almost all white/very light skinned neighborhoods in Ipanema, and other affluent areas. Where most of the dark skinned people seen are domestics or other minimally skilled workers, or policemen.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:28 PM

195 posts, read 441,349 times
It seems to me that you people are very worried about Brazil, aren't you?...

Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 AM

254 posts, read 318,890 times
Me loves Brazil and the different hues of the Brazilian women. Maybe the women of the BRIC nations as a whole.

Democracy does not mean equality or that minority views become the expressed views of the majority. Only in the illiterate United States does democracy mean equality--in the face of all the rampant economic, social, and racial inequality in the United States.

Democracy means rule by majority. A racial democracy might possibly be translated into a conversation among multitudes of races in which the majority race finds their views expressed over others.

So, Brazil can in fact be viewed as a racial democracy.

But the term "racial democracy" has never been given a clear definition, not to my knowledge anyways. People seem to have inferred what "racial democracy" means or meant when that famous Brazilian author came up with that term.

Jim Crow in the United States was based on science. Just like the science now suggested to be wrong in the recent anthropology paper claiming many of the different homo species were actually just one homo species and scientist have simply been fooled for years. No shock to me. Science is often wrong. And so, Brazil *appeared* to be a "racial democracy" throughout the 19th and early 20th century to the extent it rejected Jim Crow racial segregation with it's paradigm of hypo-decent ("The One Drop Rule"). Rather, Brazil used science (science is often wrong) to do a different kind of eugenics: improve the racial stock of the country by promoting "racial interbreeding." Or that is to say... improve the darker skinned races by lightening them through white ancestry.

Race is not biologically fixed concept in Brazil today as it remains still so in the United States. And people from the United States have an extra-ordinarily hard time thinking outside this paradigm. From race to sexual orientation the people of the Eugenics United States still think these things are fixed, genetically heritable traits that correlate strongly into cognitive functions expressed in behaviors and thought patterns.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:12 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunStorm View Post
Me loves Brazil and the different hues of the Brazilian women. Maybe the women of the BRIC nations as a whole.

Democracy does not mean equality or that minority views become the expressed views of the majority. Only in the illiterate United States does democracy mean equality--in the face of all the rampant economic, social, and racial inequality in the United States.

Democracy means rule by majority. A racial democracy might possibly be translated into a conversation among multitudes of races in which the majority race finds their views expressed over others.

So, Brazil can in fact be viewed as a racial democracy.

But the term "racial democracy" has never been given a clear definition, not to my knowledge anyways. People seem to have inferred what "racial democracy" means or meant when that famous Brazilian author came up with that term.

Jim Crow in the United States was based on science. Just like the science now suggested to be wrong in the recent anthropology paper claiming many of the different homo species were actually just one homo species and scientist have simply been fooled for years. No shock to me. Science is often wrong. And so, Brazil *appeared* to be a "racial democracy" throughout the 19th and early 20th century to the extent it rejected Jim Crow racial segregation with it's paradigm of hypo-decent ("The One Drop Rule"). Rather, Brazil used science (science is often wrong) to do a different kind of eugenics: improve the racial stock of the country by promoting "racial interbreeding." Or that is to say... improve the darker skinned races by lightening them through white ancestry.

Race is not biologically fixed concept in Brazil today as it remains still so in the United States. And people from the United States have an extra-ordinarily hard time thinking outside this paradigm. From race to sexual orientation the people of the Eugenics United States still think these things are fixed, genetically heritable traits that correlate strongly into cognitive functions expressed in behaviors and thought patterns.
Race is NOT biologically fixed in the USA either. Don't spread misinformation. Race is a sociopolitical construct and many in the USA know this. Many laws and documents in USA stated that ideas of race came about from socially constructed perceptions.

Last edited by MelismaticEchoes; 11-25-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antma robel View Post
It seems to me that you people are very worried about Brazil, aren't you?...
I just find it quite ironic that many Brazilians think of "race" the same way that Americans do.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 AM

254 posts, read 318,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Race is NOT biologically fixed in the USA either.
Yes it is.

A person can change racial categories in Brazil throughout their life. In the United States it is fixed.

First, Brazilians really believe in one race: the human race, and merely use descriptors for visual phenotypes (e.g., Moreno, pardo etc.), whereas in the United States race is regarded as genetic (e.g., Obama is black) and that "genes" are "black" or "African" or "white" or "gay" or "heterosexual" and so on.

Americans think "genes" (some invisible substance to the naked human eye) carry sentential commands in an individual like: "I will be 6 feet tall, I will be politically liberal, I will shout and call out during religious ceremonies, I will steal and drink, I will be alcoholic, and I am black, and I am homosexual, and I will be sexually attracted to shorter males than myself that are "light skinned black" as well as white men with big "dongs."

There are no black, white, African, or European genes nor any genes that tell you what political party to vote for or what sexual orientation to have.

Quote:
Don't spread misinformation. Race is a sociopolitical construct and many in the USA know this. Many laws and documents in USA stated that ideas of race came about from socially constructed perceptions.
Americans view race as fixed: as biologically and genetically fixed as sexual orientation. Americans mind are shaped by biological and genetic determinism, or eugenics.

Obama is black and heterosexual and its all fixed in his invisible genes. The American view.

However, the Brazilian thought of "race" today is that Obama's race is descriptive relative to his surroundings: (e.g., more black around those far lighter than him and more white around those far darker than himself; and he is Moreno in international, global terms while simultaneously pardo in certain parts of Brazil and a dark white in other parts of Brazil).

Old 11-26-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunStorm View Post
Yes it is.

A person can change racial categories in Brazil throughout their life. In the United States it is fixed.
You're wrong on so many levels. Race in the US is far from fixed. 100 years ago. The Irish, Eastern, and Southern European people were not considered White because they were not Protestants. And in the next 50 years, lighter skinned Hispanics will be considered White as they assimilate to American culture..

There was also a Mullato category in the US before 1930. When the US put Mullatos in the same category as Blacks. So race in the US changes into whatever social climate it is at the moment.

There are no black, white, African, or European genes nor any genes that tell you what political party to vote for or what sexual orientation to have.

Quote:
Americans view race as fixed: as biologically and genetically fixed as sexual orientation. Americans mind are shaped by biological and genetic determinism, or eugenics.

Obama is black and heterosexual and its all fixed in his invisible genes. The American view.
What Americans think of as racial groups are actually cultural groups. Like a Cuban immigrant of European descent is not considered to be the same "race" as a White American of Northwestern European descent, or a Mullato Dominican is not considered the same "race" as a Light Skinned African because of the cultural differences. Race in the US is far more complex than you think.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:03 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
This is what I read into it. The person who was talking about race wishes to keep the system of Whites getting preferential treatment over other races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas