U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:30 PM

469 posts, read 602,381 times

Advertisements

Also these islands near Newfoundland are French territory, I wonder if anyone here has visited them. From what I have read about the place, it seems rather poor. Do they still do much smuggling to Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 12:15 PM

396 posts, read 729,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Also these islands near Newfoundland are French territory, I wonder if anyone here has visited them. From what I have read about the place, it seems rather poor. Do they still do much smuggling to Canada?
There's lot of french money floating around there, and its still a larger tourist attraction. It's a day trip community not very large, not much there from what I know, just a fun place to drink, and you get to say you've been to france, without having to really go that far.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:26 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
I don't believe it is particularly poor, and many even be on par or richer than much of Atlantic Canada.

I have never been there, although I have met a handful of people from there in and and around where I live. Not that many though. Some young people from St-Pierre-et-Miquelon go to university in Quebec, although I don't know how many relative to the number who cross the Atlantic to study in continental France.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,490,868 times
I hear quite a few go to the University of Moncton for their education, since it's the nearest French language university.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I hear quite a few go to the University of Moncton for their education, since it's the nearest French language university.
That too. University of Ottawa as well (bilingual English and French), in addition to all the ones in Quebec of course.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 AM

396 posts, read 729,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't believe it is particularly poor, and many even be on par or richer than much of Atlantic Canada.

I'm pretty sure as a french overseas territory they get a good bit of money from the french government.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:28 AM

7,682 posts, read 8,486,668 times
Howcome Canada does not claim them like Argentina does with the Falklands?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:32 AM

469 posts, read 602,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Canada may not want them, as they would probably not contribute much economically.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:28 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,490,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I'm not too sure why Argentina likes laying claim to the Falklands, but since the people of St. Pierre et Miquelon don't want to join us I can't quite see why we'd lay claim to them. Trying to annex part of France would sure make NATO meetings pretty awkward. We also haven't much claim to them, they were specifically allowed to keep those islands after the fall of New France and the people living there are culturally French, not French Canadian (even if a few families are descended from Acadians). Annexing stuff isn't our MO, Canadians wouldn't have much appetite for doing something like that, we even turned away the Turks and Caicos when they wanted to join volutarilly a few years ago. I'm sure if St. Pierre et Miquelon wanted to join, however, we'd admit them as we admitted their neighbour, Newfoundland, in 1949.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
We also haven't much claim to them, they were specifically allowed to keep those islands after the fall of New France and the people living there are culturally French, not French Canadian (even if a few families are descended from Acadians).
There was a lot of flip-flopping of colonies between France and England around that time (1700s), and France thought that if they could maintain even a small toe-hold in this part of North America, they could perhaps win back their bigger colonies from England (Acadia, New France) at some point.

At that time, there wouldn't have been much of a cultural difference between people on SPM (the few that lived there) and people in Acadia or New France. Not saying that they would have been exactly like people in France, but certainly someone in SPM in 1750 wasn't any more similar culturally to someone in France than someone in Acadia or New France would have been.

Of course, today given the régimes that have been in place for centuries (Canada vs. France) there is a much bigger difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas