U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2012, 06:47 AM
 
1,736 posts, read 1,591,729 times
Reputation: 1130

Advertisements

Most top 10 or 15 First World nations are so close to each other that your individual preferences in things like climate and culture matter much more in relation to which country you'll be the happiest in.
Milage may vary some in relation to health care and safety for raising a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2012, 07:06 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,307,720 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think that the U.S., the U.K., Canada, France, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Scandinavian countries, Japan and Australia are pretty much on very similar levels nowadays as far as overall standard of living and quality of life goes for most people. Many more countries are up and coming and will probably join these in the coming decades.

There isn't just one game in town anymore. It's a matter of preference where you choose to live.
Dont forget Ireland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 08:36 AM
 
Location: USA
313 posts, read 514,469 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
I recently read a thread by "God Bless America" and I have come to realize, especially on this forum, that many of my countrymen are obnoxiously arrogant about this country.

Ok lets get this out of the way first, America is a good country to live in. It is rich, there are opportunities and has a decent quality of life.

However there are opportunities in others countries and it confuses me that people here consider America the only place you can get a job. America has tough immigration system and I don't see any advantages here per say Germany when it comes to finding a career.

It all comes down to preference. That's it, nothing else. We are all lucky to be posting on the internet but arguing such silly points only proves you have major short comings about your own beliefs.

I myself am a fan of Germany and its lifestyle. I enjoy the walkable cities with many features to them. Religion is generally not a big deal and people mind their own business. Nightlife is amazing and you can party all night. Not to say we don't have walkable cities but NYC and San Francisco are extremely expensive places to live and don't nearly have the features that cities like Hamburg and Berlin have. That is not to say they are not nice places to live, I just have a preference for German cities and hope to move to one someday.

I don't understand why people such as the OP of the other thread have to argue day and night that their preferences are the CORRECT preferences. Honestly can you all just cork it and have nice discussions on this part of the forum? I don't want to see this turn into the trollfest that is political forum.
I still stand for 100% of what I said. OK there are some countries out there that are good, but none of them offer as much as this country does. The only close one is wonderful Canada (except climate-wise).

I don't understand why you created this thread because I started a topic about it?

Not all large cities in the U.S. are expensive; only San Francisco and New York City is virtually.

Sorry I've been to Germany many times and that country doesn't appeal to me at all. Cities are depressing and boring. If I ever had to move to Europe it would be to France, because I love the language, culture and country. However I would still miss the North American lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 09:50 AM
 
15,039 posts, read 13,627,926 times
Reputation: 6916
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
No. No it doesn't.

Just because some -hell, just because most- don't believe in the American Dream, does not diminish it's power. Notice how every other country's "Dream" is compared to the US'. This highlights how strong American culture is, at it is seen as the benchmark from which other "Dreams" are compared to. Time and again, we see everything from History, music, to films using American equivalents from which to compare.

Diana D'ors = UK's Marilyn Monroe

Bollywood = Clearly using the word "Hollywood" to christen the industry

Why don't we just agree on this: The US enjoyed a considerable amount of power in regards to culture, and this power has waned in more recent years. Also, some like American culture, and others prefer alternative cultures, such as French or German.

Agreed?
"Why don't we just agree on this: The US enjoyed a considerable amount of power in regards to culture, and this power has waned in more recent years. Also, some like American culture, and others prefer alternative cultures, such as French or German."

I agree with this one, but I disagree with the first statement

"Just because some -hell, just because most- don't believe in the American Dream, does not diminish it's power."

Since so many don't believe in the American Dream, it diminishes its power.
After all what "dream" is, if less and less people believe in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 10:01 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,247 posts, read 19,541,004 times
Reputation: 13002
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Not all large cities in the U.S. are expensive; only San Francisco and New York City is virtually.
These are the top 2 most expensive. Salaries are also higher in these cities than most other cities.

Other cities considered expensive to live in: Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Diego, Boston and Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 10:32 AM
 
497 posts, read 873,984 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"Why don't we just agree on this: The US enjoyed a considerable amount of power in regards to culture, and this power has waned in more recent years. Also, some like American culture, and others prefer alternative cultures, such as French or German."

I agree with this one, but I disagree with the first statement

"Just because some -hell, just because most- don't believe in the American Dream, does not diminish it's power."

Since so many don't believe in the American Dream, it diminishes its power.
After all what "dream" is, if less and less people believe in it?
The American Dream still has power, for there was a time when most people DID believe in it. Inertia works in its favor, not terribly dissimilar to the US itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Minnysoda
8,634 posts, read 8,529,742 times
Reputation: 5180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
I recently read a thread by "God Bless America" and I have come to realize, especially on this forum, that many of my countrymen are obnoxiously arrogant about this country.

Ok lets get this out of the way first, America is a good country to live in. It is rich, there are opportunities and has a decent quality of life.

However there are opportunities in others countries and it confuses me that people here consider America the only place you can get a job. America has tough immigration system and I don't see any advantages here per say Germany when it comes to finding a career.

It all comes down to preference. That's it, nothing else. We are all lucky to be posting on the internet but arguing such silly points only proves you have major short comings about your own beliefs.

I myself am a fan of Germany and its lifestyle. I enjoy the walkable cities with many features to them. Religion is generally not a big deal and people mind their own business. Nightlife is amazing and you can party all night. Not to say we don't have walkable cities but NYC and San Francisco are extremely expensive places to live and don't nearly have the features that cities like Hamburg and Berlin have. That is not to say they are not nice places to live, I just have a preference for German cities and hope to move to one someday.

I don't understand why people such as the OP of the other thread have to argue day and night that their preferences are the CORRECT preferences. Honestly can you all just cork it and have nice discussions on this part of the forum? I don't want to see this turn into the trollfest that is political forum.
Speaking for myself it's because I HAVE traveled extensivly around the planet. I HAVE indeed studied the History of this country and the rest of the world. I know that as jacked up the rest of the world is it would be 10 times as worse withOUT the US......and as many problems as we do have here in the US it is still the only place on the planet I and my faimly want to live.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 10:36 AM
 
15,039 posts, read 13,627,926 times
Reputation: 6916
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
The American Dream still has power, for there was a time when most people DID believe in it. Inertia works in its favor, not terribly dissimilar to the US itself.
OK, let's talk about the American dream - shall we?
What's American dream to you, what does it mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 11:00 AM
 
546 posts, read 1,220,662 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
on a one to one personal level , i have not noticed americans being in anyway disrespectfull of other nations , i cant say the same for some other nations people , sure they ( americans ) are not slow to declare their love for america but that is entirely different
Yes, you are right at that. It is just that many people interpret their constant flag waving as arrogant and as corny as hell, but I think it's more a cultural trait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 11:23 AM
 
497 posts, read 873,984 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
OK, let's talk about the American dream - shall we?
What's American dream to you, what does it mean?
Sure! The American Dream is two own a house with your partner (married) with two kids and a dog. I guess the best example of the American Dream is an old tv show called "Leave It to Beaver." While outdated, the general layout of the two kids, the stern and wise father, and the mother that's always there for you still is something many aspire to.

Now it can be successfully argued that this is something people want, with or without knowing of the American Dream, but the US was the first to mass produce the idea. To "patent" it, in a word.

For ME, the American Dream, is owning a condo/suite (I absolutely LOATHE houses. It's so isolating!) with my partner, and for us to have a small dog and 2-3 kids. That's MY American Dream, but it isn't THE American Dream.

I hope I'm making sense here. I feel like I'm not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top